TC Contender vs revolver

Hello all, I'm new to this site and to New England, I recently relocated from upstate NY to MA. I wanted to get some opinions on a couple of things and maybe some of you can oblige. I'm sick of carrying my slug shotgun considering my muzzleloader shoots real straight and a lot farther and I'm much more interested in hunting with and packing a handgun. I'm struggling with the decision to buy either a TC Contender in a rifle caliber, perhaps 30-30, 35 Rem, or something that shoots flatter or a scoped 44 mag revolver. How much extra range will a TC get me with recoil similar to the revolver? Accuracy? Quickness and pointability? I'll be hunting mostly deer with hopes of a bear hunt in the future. This would be a gun that I would either be on a stand or walking with.

As stated those are not legal for certain types of game and in certain states. IMHO, .44 for any scenario that's legal. But I'm biased. I really like .44 revolvers and carbines. I like the 30-30 and .35 rem as well but I just have a taste for the .44 in all its different loads. Flat, Fat, and Fierce.
But, you can't go wrong with either chambering.
Best of luck.

*ETA* - As for your questions about range, accuracy, pointability, and quickness; In those two rifle calibers I'd keep everything within 150yards. I shot the 30-30 with IIRC a 150gr RN and was hitting 2.5" groups at 100yds. Depending on your carry rig, my friend had a really slick/easy open chest rig, quickness is hard to judge. Guess it depends on barrel length and revolver rig and would be entirely comparative and relative. It's quick enough that you shouldn't miss a shot. I favor the .44 in a redhawk with anything well over 4".

Last edited:
My Dan Wesson .357 Super Mag (Rem Maximum)8" barrel prints ~4"- and my T/C G2 Rem Maximum 14" barrel ~1,5" groups with cheap 180 gr copper plated resized gast bullets at 100 yard.

Back
Top Bottom