Tax Free Gun Weekend...

OK, let's have some fun. If you plan on a new firearm this weekend. Let's see a picture of what you plan on getting.

I'm picking up one of these new this weekend. And I can't wait. This was such a good idea. I bet all the libs in MA would be freaking out if they thought that this many guns are going to be bought just becuase of this "Holiday"

Anyway, this is a Rossi Puma '92. Winchester Clone in .357. Blued with the hardned color case and a 24" Octagonal barrel.

976336763-1.jpg

Isn't it Purty.

Not sure... I need some other supplies, like ammo and such, but maybe one of these might follow me home...

sw163810.jpg

I've been looking at these for a while, I think it will make a fine pocket pistol.

Adam

OK, there are two guns following me home:

S&W Mod 66
03.jpg

Not this exact one, but you get the idea.

And a Uberti replica Remington 1858 New Army
large-341000.jpg

Ross

You know, I've been looking at one of those Ross. The Uberti. I've been thinking about getting into BP Pistol.

But I've been trying to decide if I want to get into Cap and Ball, or BP cartiridge.

But those are all fine looking guns.

Yup, it is, and I have absolutely no idea how to load it. Just downloaded a primer from http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Choy.html that I'm going to read over breakfast, but I'll definitely bring it up over Labor Day.

Of course, the whole objective was to purchase the gun the my G'G'Uncle Sime would have carried... but he enlisted in 1861, IIRC, and according to the Uberti website, the Remington New Army wasn't made until 1863. Oh well, he could have gotten it after he was promoted to 2nd Lt, I guess.

Next year... SKS (or something in 7.62x39), a Springfield 1861 replica and possibly a lever action like C-pher's getting. I just like the look of a lever action... and I could use it for hunting in other states, too.

C-pher said:
You know, I've been looking at one of those Ross. The Uberti. I've been thinking about getting into BP Pistol.

But I've been trying to decide if I want to get into Cap and Ball, or BP cartiridge.

According to Richie at Callaghans, Gun Room has cylinders to convert the .44 cap & ball into a centerfire. I explained that I really didn't want to shop at the Gun Room any more, and he just kind of nodded. I think he's gotten that reaction before.

But I'm sure they can be had elsewhere, too.

Ross

Well, hearing that, DEFINITELY bring it up. I'll show you how to load it, I've got a Colt Replica (like an 1851 Navy, but brass framed) myself. I'll bring up the powder, caps and balls. I'll make sure to bring the replica.

You'll also be able to try out a couple of SKS's and an AK then as well.

Lynne said:
dwarven1 said:
Yup, it is, and I have absolutely no idea how to load it.

Did my email not help? :D

It DID help, Lynne, but I still haven't actually done anything. There's a big difference between reading about it and doing it. I need to read a LOT more, and then if there's someone who's actually shot one (like Nickel), that will be a huge help.

Remember, you mentioned that you only fire blanks for reenactment in your revolver. I want to shoot it with live rounds.

Ross

I figured you'd say that. I've seen them before, and they aren't cheap. Like a Ciener conversion, they cost about the same as a new gun. That's why the wife has the Bersa Thunder 22, same price as a Ciener for the Glock.

Chris,
That's a nice looking set.. However there is just something about owning a gun that I will never shoot that makes me feel kinda sick.. I would be too tempted to take that puppy to the range! :D

Adam

Nickle said:
I figured you'd say that. I've seen them before, and they aren't cheap. Like a Ciener conversion, they cost about the same as a new gun. That's why the wife has the Bersa Thunder 22, same price as a Ciener for the Glock.

Well... I actually paid one cent more for the gun than Midway wants for the cylinder, but I don't have to pay shipping, so the cylinder would be MORE than the gun!

Ross

There is nothing I need.

But my local dealer has a very nice two-tone Sig P229 in 9mm that keeps calling my name.

dwarven1 said:
Remember, you mentioned that you only fire blanks for reenactment in your revolver. I want to shoot it with live rounds.

If you can find the ammo, bring it up to Bob's tomorrow, Ed (who has shot live rounds) will take you through it. (I don't think we've got any balls for that cal.) We've got the BP. Let me know.

dwarven1 said:
C-pher said:

According to Richie at Callaghans, Gun Room has cylinders to convert the .44 cap & ball into a centerfire. I explained that I really didn't want to shop at the Gun Room any more, and he just kind of nodded. I think he's gotten that reaction before.

But I'm sure they can be had elsewhere, too.

Ross

Yea, but I was talking about reloading BP Cartridge for my SAA's for CAS. I but then sometimes I think that it would be cool to shoot that in a match. Just that the reloading would take forever.

Someone said that instead of using bore butter for your BP pistol use crisco. Cheaper and does the same thing.

C-pher said:
Someone said that instead of using bore butter for your BP pistol use crisco. Cheaper and does the same thing.

Hell... Why not just use reclaimed bacon fat? That'd be damn funny!! Everyone would start getting hungry.. "I smell bacon"

Mmmmmmm Baaaacooon!!!

Adam

If you're referring to what you pack in the chambers after loading, I'm a Crisco person. I've made the mistake of using nothing. Well, it crossfired, and ouch that smarted (didn't hurt the gun, though, just my ego).

Nickle said:
If you're referring to what you pack in the chambers after loading, I'm a Crisco person.

Yea, that's what I'm talking about. As I don't know that much about it, I'm going on what I've been told. But it just looks fun as hell.

Just seems like a LOT more cleaning than I might be used to...

And I hear that if I start reloading BP, that I have to get all different power measure supplies. Brass powder bar and die.

But I love it when you get a smoke ring, and that sound and smell. It's just the best.

C-pher said:

Richie Callaghan suggested that, too... and Corporal Lyndon, 35th Virgina, suggested peanut butter - creamy or chunky, your choice. :)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom