• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax Free Gun Weekend...

Yeah... I don't think I would mind cleaning the peanut butter at all... Mmmm.

"But honey, I'm hungry I HAVE to go to the range"

Adam

Okay makes sense. Then another stupid question...then why would you use peanut butter? Doesn't have the same qualities as Crisco.

dwarven1 said:
C-pher said:
Someone said that instead of using bore butter for your BP pistol use crisco. Cheaper and does the same thing.

Richie Callaghan suggested that, too... and Corporal Lyndon, 35th Virgina, suggested peanut butter - creamy or chunky, your choice. :)

Ross

Yup, and iffn' ya git it on yer fingers, it's tastes better than lard. [lol]
Cpl. Lyndon

I was going to reply to Ross, but I just wouldn't bring myself to do it.

They used Minie bullets in the rifles, except some of the sniper rifles, where they did use patched "projectiles". And they used paper patched bullets in the Sharps and Spencers.

In the revolvers, they didn't use cloth, just a grease over the top to prevent crossfiring.

Wheh, that was a tap dance to not "step in it".

dwarven1 said:
MrsWildweasel said:
You're not going to make that sound good Ross.

Hey, I want to hear Cpl Lyndon make it sound any better!

Why screw around with perfection??? [lol] [lol] [lol]

Actually, some patched, others used lard, or whatever else was available if they didn't have patching material...such as the paper from cartridges that they rolled...and yes Adam, sometimes it was bacon fat if they were lucky enough to find pigs. Actually - one story I read (I forget where) talked about using beans...well...I suppose that would be appropriate due to the smell of the powder. [lol] Towards the end of the war when supply lines were at their thinnest, the Confederates used whatever they could find, scrounge or steal from the Yanks.

I've rolled my own cartridges for a front loader. Used grocery store paper bags, rolled it over a dowel, tied one end inderted the powder, a wad and the bullet (Minie). folded over the free end and glued it. To load, rip open the cartridge, pour in the powder, use (or don't) the wad, insert the bullet, ram it down, throw away the cartridge and cap the nipple. Harder to describe than to do.

dwarven1 said:
MrsWildweasel said:
You're not going to make that sound good Ross.

Hey, I want to hear Cpl Lyndon make it sound any better!

Why screw around with perfection??? [lol] [lol] [lol]

Actually, some patched, others used lard, or whatever else was available if they didn't have patching material...such as the paper from cartridges that they rolled...and yes Adam, sometimes it was bacon fat if they were lucky enough to find pigs. Actually - one story I read (I forget where) talked about using beans...well...I suppose that would be appropriate due to the smell of the powder. [lol] Towards the end of the war when supply lines were at their thinnest, the Confederates used whatever they could find, scrounge or steal from the Yanks.

Not to bring the thread back on topic [wink] , but here's my weekend purchase:
sw66_large.html

(I've never done an image before, this doesn't seem to be previewing right, hopefully it shows up correctly in the actual post...)

SW 66. Mine has rosewood grips, and came with an attractive pre-owned pricetag.
I was supposed to wait until tomorrow to buy it, but I decided that I could grant myself a first-gun exemption.
Less than 24 hours between getting the license in my grubby paws and blowing a chunk of change at Four Seasons...

You have to point the tag to the actual image, and not just the html page where the picture exists. Here's what I think you were aiming for:

[img]http://www.northeasttrading.com/images/sw66_ss_large.jpg

If it's any consolation, I did exactly the same thing when I got my license. Not 24 hours later, I was the proud owner of a S&W 686. Therefore, I think you're following the perfect path :) Congrats again on getting your license (especially the hassles you endured) and enjoy the new revolver. If I had any money, I'd be picking up a Bushmaster A20 or a S&W 1911. *sigh*

I see a pattern... when I got my first purchase permit (you need a permit for EACH gun you buy in NJ), I picked up my S&W Model 19 within a day or 2.

Ross

YogSothoth,

Thank you! That's the one.

I figure that a .38 is low enough caliber that I can practice regularly and not discover some time down the road that I've made a habit of flinching. And if I feel that I want/need to move up, I don't have to buy a new gun right away.

John Jay said:
SW 66. Mine has rosewood grips, and came with an attractive pre-owned pricetag.
I was supposed to wait until tomorrow to buy it, but I decided that I could grant myself a first-gun exemption.
Less than 24 hours between getting the license in my grubby paws and blowing a chunk of change at Four Seasons...

[evil] THAT'S THE ONE I WAS GOING TO BUY. I CALLED THEM AND CARL SAID IT'S GONE! OH WELL, MAYBE NEXT TIME.

Now if you want to get in even more practice without having to spend as much money, and avoid noise and recoil at the same time, you could always get its brother to keep it company.

160584_large.jpg

Since you'd be saving so much money on ammunition, why it would practically pay for itself. [wink] [wink] [wink]

Ken

I had put a deposit down on this 14 days ago, but realized I couldn't wait for the 'holiday' to get it. So I said screw it to the fifteen or sixteen dollars in tax!!! I got it last weekend. It's my first center fire hand gun! The target is from my first trip to the range last weekend. I'm in love with my new (to me) S&W 908.

PistolandTarget.jpg

Well, we just got in from our tax free day shopping spree.

Didn't buy any guns, but lots of ammo and bullets for reloading .40 & .45. Plus a lot of other stuff. Saved enough to fill my gas tank a few times!

Four Seasons sold a lot of guns, the couple that I wanted to look at were all sold out for now. But bought a lot of ammo from him.

Stopped at Collector's in Stoneham as well. Got to see the guns I was interested in there, and determined that they don't suit my needs. We looked at the Lady Smith 9mm and that might be the next step for my Wife. She also liked the hammerless lightweight S&W revolvers, so I'll first let her try my Colt Det. Special that's been collecting dust for years to see if she likes revolvers.

Late morning, after serving some papers in Attleboro, I stopped in at AFS. GPK was on his day off, so he was on the phone (squawky-talkie) with Don. We have a confirmation that the carbine shoot on 8/28 is a "go". Hopefully, GPK will post a lot more here about what's happening that day.

Back
Top Bottom