• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taurus TX 22 Review

Well I called Taurus. They said I would need to ship the entire gun back to them and they DON’T cover shipping the gun to them. They do cover return shipping though.
They said they can send me a shipping label for $50.
Honestly the new slide costs $99 on the Taurus webstore. So subtract the $50 and now I’m out $50. If they find the frame needs replacing then it needs to go to a dealer and I need to pay transfer fee etc.
I think I’m just going to buy a new slide. $50 is short money in not needing to deal with shipping/packaging and driving to FedEx etc.
LAME!

It is lame. I told the CS woman on the phone that I'm sure the frame is fine but I realize its a liability thing so they want the entire gun back for inspection.
At the end of the day it's thin aluminum that saw a decent round count so it's only going to last so long no? This isn't titanium we're talking about here [laugh]

Talk to folks a the mill. They can ship USPS and would probably ship for less than $50.
True. The mill is 2 hours round trip for me and trying to coordinate with them etc. not worth it to me.
My local go-to FFL doesn't ship out guns anymore last I heard because of so many lost packages in transit - they don't want the liability/hassle anymore I guess.

So a new slide ordered along with the new Lakeline buffered recoil spring.

It is lame. I told the CS woman on the phone that I'm sure the frame is fine but I realize its a liability thing so they want the entire gun back for inspection.
At the end of the day it's thin aluminum that saw a decent round count so it's only going to last so long no? This isn't titanium we're talking about here [laugh]
I feel like, without measuring it we can't say how thin is "thin"? Is that area thinner than the same region on the SR22, for example? The problem could be process (cast not billet?) or material (wrong series?) or, like you said, maybe they don't expect it to see 10K rounds over its lifetime.

I feel like, without measuring it we can't say how thin is "thin"? Is that area thinner than the same region on the SR22, for example? The problem could be process (cast not billet?) or material (wrong series?) or, like you said, maybe they don't expect it to see 10K rounds over its lifetime.
True. Thin is just a vague observation by me lol.
Then again if this broke after 100 rounds they would handle it the same way. In that case, I'd be bullshit

10K rounds is really not that much for a .22 semi-auto pistol. At 5 bricks a year, you get 10K in less than 5 years.

Back in the days of cheap bulk pack .22, 5 bricks of ammo could be considered cheap entertainment for 10 summer afternoons. And I'm still talking about just a few afternoons. I've know people with gungho teenagers who got close to 10K rounds in a year, and that still looked inexpensive compared to other family activities with teens.

10K rounds is really not that much for a .22 semi-auto pistol. At 5 bricks a year, you get 10K in less than 5 years.

Back in the days of cheap bulk pack .22, 5 bricks of ammo could be considered cheap entertainment for 10 summer afternoons. And I'm still talking about just a few afternoons. I've know people with gungho teenagers who got close to 10K rounds in a year, and that still looked inexpensive compared to other family activities with teens.
Agreed. It only took me just over a year to hit 10k rounds. Bought it in late December 2020.

It kinda pisses me off that they wouldn't just ship me a new slide for free but considering how little I paid for the gun and "decent" amount of rounds through it, I'm not going to lose too much sleep.

A new development!!! A manager from Taurus (very nice lady named Tammy) called me just now and said she can send me a prepaid shipping label at no cost to me. I then explained how I purchased a new slide assembly from the webstore - she canceled that order and refunded my money.

Now that is how it should have been handled from the start! She said she is a manager and has more options than just a regular service agent.

I'm not sure what initiated her to call me but I'm not complaining.

I'm not so sure I agree with you. 10K may not seem like a lot on a shooting forum, but I bet you that 90% of all Taurus pistols sold will NEVER see 5K rounds fired. So, it's easier for them to just replace the few that break. I have a friend that owns at least 6 Taurus handguns, and has had some of them more than 20 years. He LOVES them because they tend to have a lot of nice features and are cheap. I'd bet, that between all of his guns, over the last 20+ years he hasn't fired anywhere near 1,000 rounds.

There is a reason you don't see many Taurus guns at USPSA matches, they just don't stand up to the abuse of many rounds.

A new development!!! A manager from Taurus (very nice lady named Tammy) called me just now and said she can send me a prepaid shipping label at no cost to me. I then explained how I purchased a new slide assembly from the webstore - she canceled that order and refunded my money.

Now that is how it should have been handled from the start! She said she is a manager and has more options than just a regular service agent.

I'm not sure what initiated her to call me but I'm not complaining.
Are they going to ship it directly back to you?

This pisses me off, give your agents the power to take care of your customers, let your managers manage
Agreed. It was apparent by the way she talked that she knew her shit compared to the service agent. But in this situation to make a customer happy and avoid any bad press, just cover all shipping and repairs. Done.

10k rounds is pretty lame in my opinion. I'm glad they are taking care of you in the end. It makes me a little concerned about my TX22 but I've lost a lot of interest in shooting handguns so it could be a long time before mine hits that round count.

With the exception of these TX22’s which seem to be a big hit, I’d bet less than 10% of all Taurus pistols ever sold would ever get 10k rounds shot in their lifetime.

My model 85CH is over 25 years old and less than 150 rounds through it and will most likely never be fired again. However, it was carried daily for a few years.

10k rounds is pretty lame in my opinion. I'm glad they are taking care of you in the end. It makes me a little concerned about my TX22 but I've lost a lot of interest in shooting handguns so it could be a long time before mine hits that round count.
Yeah it is lame. They asked about brands of ammo I used and how many rounds of each. I lied and said 1k of CCI, 1k of federal and 1k of Aguila. I had a feeling if I said 10k they might be like oh that’s a lot of rounds - even though it’s not

No interest in shoot handguns? That’s lame….😂

With the exception of these TX22’s which seem to be a big hit, I’d bet less than 10% of all Taurus pistols ever sold would ever get 10k rounds shot in their lifetime.

My model 85CH is over 25 years old and less than 150 rounds through it and will most likely never be fired again. However, it was carried daily for a few years.
Unless you’re Jessie Harrison (soon to be Jessie Eusebio) of course 😂

Should be fun to watch along, as mentioned in that other thread it was a horrifying ordeal trying to get the customer's gun back. They wouldn't do any of the multiple solutions offered to get it back, in the end they sent a MA compliant gun (GC3 or some shit) of equal value.

Should be fun to watch along, as mentioned in that other thread it was a horrifying ordeal trying to get the customer's gun back. They wouldn't do any of the multiple solutions offered to get it back, in the end they sent a MA compliant gun (GC3 or some shit) of equal value.
Well hopefully God for bid it needs to get replaced that they won’t be as many headaches now that the competition model is on the target roster? When I spoke with the manager on Monday I specifically asked if there would be any issues if the frame will need to be replaced as well and briefly explained the Massachusetts crap and she said if it needs to be replaced it will be shipped directly back to me.
She just said to include a 10 round mag as any larger capacity magazines would not be returned to me
🤞🏻🤞🏻

I'm surprised at the low level of customer service. I thought Taurus was trying to revamp their image.
Yeah I was pissed off at the first service agent I spoke to. But after speaking with manager Tammy, I can't really complain at this point. Well assuming they don't pull any shit if the frame needs to get replaced too.

Finally back in the country after being in Ireland for 10 days. That was problematic as they shipped the TX22 the day I left 🤦🏻‍♂️ and it required a signature for delivery.

Luckily I was able to speak with a nice lady from the FedEx ship center in Peabody who allowed it to be held until I came back.

Anyway, they replaced the slide and recoil spring and test fired it with CCI ammo. Can’t complain too much.

I will say the finish on the new slide is more matte almost parkerized type finish.

54A423BF-81AB-49CD-A4A6-83ADD69ADC82.jpeg

Last edited:
Someone on the TX22 Facebook group pointed out that the slides are breaking because of the slide impacting the frame.
Took a closer look at the frame and noticed the plastic is slightly worn and not square anymore at the very edge.
Makes sense.

They also said Taurus redesigned their recoil spring by adding coils on either end to limit how far back the slide travels. I think the new Lakeline stainless buffered spring I have should limit the travel now that it has a delrin buffer on one end.

I’m not too concerned about the little frame damage as it has functioned fine up until the slide broke lol.

76929B63-1DA7-4ABA-ABB5-53FDEE8CDDF9.jpeg 7BB4A183-E27C-4FF0-A90D-771005FCA7BA.jpeg 6FDB0DF5-1F32-4305-87AE-AFA7BAA49A3D.jpeg 9F79AF04-0AA0-4140-8AC5-3A6268681681.jpeg

Picked up a TX22 Competition. Started breaking it in today with Federal bulk ammo.. First 90 rounds had some stovepipes and slide would not lock back after last round on any of the three magazines. Ran another 200 rounds thru it and it ran like a sewing machine and with slide now locking back. Ordered some additional magazines and sights from Tandemkross. Will add a Vortex Viper to it I had on another gun.

Picked up a TX22 Competition. Started breaking it in today with Federal bulk ammo.. First 90 rounds had some stovepipes and slide would not lock back after last round on any of the three magazines. Ran another 200 rounds thru it and it ran like a sewing machine and with slide now locking back. Ordered some additional magazines and sights from Tandemkross. Will add a Vortex Viper to it I had on another gun.
Where did u pick it up from?

Conflicted now. Wanted the P322 but the more videos I watch on the TX22C the more I’m leaning that way. 🤦‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom