Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club

Ok, so what is the SOP for using the 'primitive arms' section of the trap field other than "not on Sunday while they are shooting trap".
I just picked up a bow and want to see how bad I am but I don’t want to take up a whole 50yd range just for that. I can’t say I have EVER seen anyone over there but I also can’t say I have ever looked for people there either.

Good morning Steve.

No additional house rules; as you noted, don't grab the range while folks are shooting trap or while the 300 is in use. Otherwise, exercise good judgement and keep all projectiles in the range.

Good morning Steve.

No additional house rules; as you noted, don't grab the range while folks are shooting trap or while the 300 is in use. Otherwise, exercise good judgement and keep all projectiles in the range.

Sounds good to me looking forward to trying out my longbow

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7.9 Outdoor Archery Range Rules

The TRPC outdoor archery range is shared with the black powder range, 300-yard range, and trap field. Archery is only allowed at the designated outdoor archery range. All other ranges and areas of the outdoor facility are closed to archery.

I just picked up a bow and want to see how bad I am but I don’t want to take up a whole 50yd range just for that.

I've seen bows in the 50yd myself. Keeping them on the Archery range I would have to guess that has to do with retrieval of arrows and bolts as well as overshots. I can imagine they would be unsafe to retrieve on the berms. Be Safe!

http://www.tauntonrifleandpistol.org/TRPC Range Rules 3-0 2015.pdf

Last edited:
7.9 Outdoor Archery Range Rules

The TRPC outdoor archery range is shared with the black powder range, 300-yard range, and trap field. Archery is only allowed at the designated outdoor archery range. All other ranges and areas of the outdoor facility are closed to archery.

I'm surprised Bender didn't address this. I've seen bows in the 50yd many times, It probably has to do with retrieval of arrows and bolts as well as overshots and claiming them safely. Be safe!

Thanks

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Don't forget to bring your own target, I've broken a couple of arrows trying to pull them out of those blocks on the occasional miss. Also remember to switch the sign and raise the flag when you go out and change it back when you leave.

I've been shooting archery there for 3 years and have never seen another archer.

I was curious if anyone had some insight on this rule.

7.5 Special Indoor Pistol Range Rules

7. When using muzzle loading handguns on the indoor ranges, only black powder may be used. Blackpowder substitutes, such as Pyrodex, are not allowed due to the potential fire hazard.

I thought Pyrodex was safer than black powder. I don't understand how black powder doesn't pose a fire hazard or is dissimilar to the hazard imposed by Pyrodex.

Thanks.

Pyrodex is safer but much more corrosive, my guess is that may be part of the reason...It also has components in it that when burned give off cyanide gasses...

Last edited:
due to the potential fire hazard.

Do you have a black powder pistol, by any chance?

There is paper dust and un burned gunpowder on the range floors. Regular cleaning removes most of this.

Pyrodex and other substitute BP propellant [and certain shitty reloads a few people used to make] can discharge burning sparklers when fired. As the ranges are concrete boxes with a large amount of steel plate, there isn't much to damage from powder burning off....but it is surprising.

Do you have a black powder pistol, by any chance?

Let's just say, I wouldn't waste anyone's time with unfounded questions. Primitive arms are the last hold out, no 4473/FA10. I will never tell. [tinfoil]

Thanks for the clarification. Learned something new that Pyrodex/ BP Substitute emits burning sparklers where black powder doesn't. Good info.

Last edited:
Hello, I am interested in joining the club, but I am new to the area and I don't know any members. Would anyone be willing to sponsor me? I am active duty USCG.

thanks!

Luke

Hi Luke,

Just go to one of the meetings and you should be all set. It is a great club hope to see you there soon.

Hello, I am interested in joining the club, but I am new to the area and I don't know any members. Would anyone be willing to sponsor me? I am active duty USCG.

thanks!

Luke

thanks!

Luke

The whole 'sponsor' thing is mostly just a line on the application. It's not really needed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Next scheduled match Sunday, 16 August. Setup @ 9, first shots @ 10.

The house rules for our steel shoots have been posted several times; I'll re-post them if needed.

Understand this is a 1 on 1, with racks of five plates; if you expect nine stages spread across several acres, you'll be disappointed.

Next scheduled match Sunday, 16 August. Setup @ 9, first shots @ 10.

The house rules for our steel shoots have been posted several times; I'll re-post them if needed.

Understand this is a 1 on 1, with racks of five plates; if you expect nine stages spread across several acres, you'll be disappointed.
Need any setup or clean up help?

Non members are welcome; idiots and unsafe folks are not. Good judgement required.

Rules are posted below:

Eye & ear protection required for all in match area
NO LOADED FIREARMS until on the line
Position on relay determined by lottery
Once eliminated, you can sign up for an additional relay
Range officer will give range commands and be the judge of the match

Course of fire: Shooter will load 6 rounds on command and reload as necessary
After the command of “shooters ready” a horn will sound
From low ready engage all plates - STOP plate must be shot last
Reloads are permitted but no more than 6 rounds in a gun at any time
On range officer’s command, shooters will show clear

Qualifications: Centerfire handguns only - any safe handgun allowed
Any safe ammo allowed - any sights allowed - holsters allowed, not required
Shooters on relay are encouraged to help relay run quickly by picking brass, etc
First place wins $15, second place wins $5
All piano tuners will have 6 plates
NO NEW YORK RELOADS ALLOWED

i have acess to pallets couple times a month just checking to see if its ok to bring them down

My thoughts are definitely. I believe we can never have enough good quality pallets to shoot at.

Thanks and let us know if you need a hand loading or unloading them.

1. September monthly meeting is tomorrow. Applications will be read and voted upon.

2. Firearm Safety course to follow the monthly meeting, as usual.
2a. If you show up to shoot tomorrow afternoon and there are twenty cars in the parking lot, that doesn't mean the ranges are packed.

3. TRPC website will be updated shortly.

4. Don't be stupid.

Hi all.

2016 dues notices are in the mail now.

Dues aren't due until 31 December, but folks who pay by the October meeting will be entered into drawings for various prizes.

On 4 October 2015, the TRPC will have its annual business meeting and election.

Back
Top Bottom