Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club

Shotgun Trap

I was considering trying out the club trap. Just a couple of questions come to mind.

1) What type ammo for 12ga should be used. (Assuming target loads but not sure on lead vs steel and size of shot)

2) I have a duck gun that I've shot before. What size barrel, what size choke is ideal?
a) I'm not looking to be an expert, just have fun. shooting 14/25 would be acceptable.

3) When does the trap field typically open? "summer"

4) Any other ideas/ club rules/ shot pouch?

TRAP SHOOTING

Trap shooting is held on the trap field at the outdoor range Sunday mornings at 10:00am during the summer months. The charge is $3.00 per 25 rounds (Not including ammo).

Last edited:
One) #7.5 or smaller diameter [larger number] shot is required for TRPC's trap field

Two) Trap shooters, please chime in. My understanding is that full tends to be most useful

Three) They shot trap on March 22nd.

Four) Recommend you leave your gun in the truck/trunk for the first 20 minutes, show up, talk to trap shooters, learn the house rules. The trap shooters are a welcoming bunch.

[email protected]

Got out to the outdoor range on Saturday to test a new AR build. Wind was nasty but ranges are in good shape and enjoyed 4 hours outside zeroing the new stick and troubleshooting some feeding issues.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Had a few minutes free at work so I recreated the Taunton R&P patch in vector format. Saw it on their website and figured they probably didn't have a decent copy of it. If anyone from Taunton R&P wants me to send them the original higher resolution/vectorized format just send me a PM and I can email it over.

Taunton%20Rifle%20Pistol01_zpsiva3asbn.jpg

Outdoor range clean up day is the 25th. I will most likely be there...Who else can join? the more the help the better.

From the website

Outdoor Range Spring Cleanup Work Party
The winter has finally ended and we can see bare ground again at the outdoor range. That means that it's time for our spring cleanup work party. We will be holding it on Saturday, April 25 starting at 9am at the outdoor ranges. We are looking for members to volunteer their time to help us get the ranges in shape. If you want to help, grab your work boots and a pair of gloves and come on down to the outdoor range on the 25th. We can use all of the help that we can get.

Can anyone figure out what changed? I've skimmed over the pages but I can't figure it out. Range Safety Officers? I've never seen one there in the last 3 years. Maybe that's new?

no idea I read over the range rules and nothing jumped out. Maybe Bender will pop in and let us know

Range Safety Officers? I've never seen one there in the last 3 years. Maybe that's new?

I can assure you, you've seen a range officer. I don't bother pulling out the card unless someone asks, or Eric sends me to a range to correct a specific problem.

RetroLS1 - nice job!

Work party - we haven't had a real work party for eight and a half months. Please show up, the spring cleaning / burn off is a good time with enough people.

Changes in the rules...I'm blanking right now, it has been a long week. I'll dig through the e-mail and get an answer for you. Several 'changes' were formally codifying many policies which had been in place for years.

ETA - oh yeah. There is *still no meeting* this Sunday. There will be a safety course in the clubhouse from 11:30 - 4:30. Please confine firearm handling/cleaning/etc to the ready room. Don't be an idiot and walk in front of a table full of people aiming revolvers.

Last edited:
There is public wifi in the clubhouse; coverage in the ranges is on the low side.

I've done several transactions at the club. It's a good spot to do so, given the access control and ability to test fire.

Is there WiFi at the indoor range?

If so, is it password protected?

And final question, are FTF'S permitted?

The next steel plate match will be on SUNDAY MAY 17. Not tomorrow, but the week after.

Same rules as previously posted. Rules have been posted for a week in the clubhouse, and are posted below.

As a friendly reminder, don't use poor quality reloaded ammo.

------------------------Rules---------------------------------------------

Eye & ear protection required for all in match area
NO LOADED FIREARMS until on the line
Position on relay determined by lottery
Once eliminated, you can sign up for an additional relay
Range officer will give range commands and be the judge of the match

Course of fire: Shooter will load 6 rounds on command and reload as necessary
After the command of “shooters ready” a horn will sound
From low ready engage all plates - STOP plate must be shot last
Reloads are permitted but no more than 6 rounds in a gun at any time
On range officer’s command, shooters will show clear

Qualifications: Centerfire handguns only - any safe handgun allowed
Any safe ammo allowed - any sights allowed - holsters allowed, not required
Shooters on relay are encouraged to help relay run quickly by picking brass, etc
First place wins $15, second place wins $5
All piano tuners will have 6 plates
NO NEW YORK RELOADS ALLOWED
Free entry with purchase of 4 raffle tickets

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom