Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club

Let's see, trap tips for beginners: STANCE: set your feet comfortably, and don't move them for the entire round. Elbows out, better ability to swing the gun. lean forward at the waist a bit.(Believe me, it sounds weird and will feel weird by the time you do all of these things.)

Follow through on your target, don't stop when you have it in your sights....if you do, you'll miss behind it if it's left or right.

Initial aim point shouldbe at the top edge of the trap house, top left corner for station 1, top right for 5, and then shade in a bit for 2 and 4, and dead center at 3.(thats what I do anyways).

Don't try to count your hits, someone will be doing that for you, just focus on your own birds. It's not a competition, except against yourself.

Let's see, trap tips for beginners: STANCE: set your feet comfortably, and don't move them for the entire round. Elbows out, better ability to swing the gun. lean forward at the waist a bit.(Believe me, it sounds weird and will feel weird by the time you do all of these things.)

Follow through on your target, don't stop when you have it in your sights....if you do, you'll miss behind it if it's left or right.

Initial aim point shouldbe at the top edge of the trap house, top left corner for station 1, top right for 5, and then shade in a bit for 2 and 4, and dead center at 3.(thats what I do anyways).

Don't try to count your hits, someone will be doing that for you, just focus on your own birds. It's not a competition, except against yourself.

Thanks, you going? if you remember, it was you that gave me the tour of the range back in hmmm, springtime?

Well, I suck at trap lol.

12 out of 25 was my best today but still had a blast and will have fun getting better.

Well, I suck at trap lol.

12 out of 25 was my best today but still had a blast and will have fun getting better.

come on, I have done it a few dozen times and still only hit two 14's (I really need to pick one load and stay with it)

good meeting you today though (I think you said this was you):)

come on, I have done it a few dozen times and still only hit two 14's (I really need to pick one load and stay with it)

good meeting you today though (I think you said this was you):)

yeah it was me. nice meeting you too. good times!

- - - Updated - - -

lol that was MUCH better than my first day. I think I might have hit 7 at best? I've worked my way up to 16-20.

cool! I was kind of embarrassed every time i missed

Hey, did I read right it takes about two months to get approved for membership in Taunton? I put in an app about three weeks ago and haven't heard anything back as yet. I'd love to get in here as I've been driving down to AFS from Bridgewater and spending $20 a visit to shoot. I drove by the range on Friday mid-day to have a look and was surprised there wasn't a single car there. Is it always that quiet?

Hey, did I read right it takes about two months to get approved for membership in Taunton? I put in an app about three weeks ago and haven't heard anything back as yet. I'd love to get in here as I've been driving down to AFS from Bridgewater and spending $20 a visit to shoot. I drove by the range on Friday mid-day to have a look and was surprised there wasn't a single car there. Is it always that quiet?

Yes, you have to look at the events calendar online as they have pistol league and Junior Rifle League events on certain nights but for the most part the in door range is wide open. I go on Thursday or Friday night and typically there may be one or two people shooting and most of the time I have the entire place to myself.

It can take that long, depending upon precisely when you send your application. From what you've said, the club has received it. Your app should be read before the membership this Sunday at the meeting, and voted upon. If you are accepted, you'll receive a letter from the membership secretary congratulating you, and directing you to show up for orientation.

The busy hours are odd. TRPC does have 21 indoor firing positions...barring a match, you should have a place to shoot without much of a wait.

Id suggest emailing the president he helped me out alot when I was applying to get in sometimes ya the indoor is quiet If its nice out cuz remember now we got a awesome outdoor range for those who like to shoot outdoors, afs isnt bad im a member there aswell as the taunton club but I seem to go to taunton alot more its just a great club to be a part of hope you find the answers to the questions your looking for

I think my app was reviewed at todays meeting. I wanted to ask if anyone here was at monthly meeting, if so were all new apps accepted?

I missed this months meeting (again [sad]) but unless you have rencetly REALLY pissed off someone who is a member and was there chances are they where all accepted. Ive been to a few dozen meetings and I dont think i have ever heard a single one rejected (though once or twice people hear a name they think the reconize, but not in a bad way)

The policy is, you can bring guests, and you are responsible for them. If you bring a guest frequently enough the e-board knows such person by name, it's probably time they ponied up for their own membership. Members of your immediate family don't count as guests - you have a family membership.

Got beat to the punch, but here goes.

Yes

From what I understand, if the President starts to know your guests on a first name basis it's time for them to get a membership.

Below is the formal policy from the Range Rules on the Club Website;

8 Rules Governing Non-Club Members

Prospective members may only use the indoor or outdoor ranges as a guest of a member. Guests
shall not use range facilities more than a few times a year.

Permission can be obtained through a written letter or by contacting the club President by email
at [email protected].

The 300-yard range is not open to prospective members, guests, or visiting organizations no
matter if a member is accompanying them.

Guests (under 18 years of age) brought to the range for instructions or observation of shooting
must be under strict and constant adult supervision at all times.

Club members must accompany and supervise their guests while shooting on any range.

Last edited:
Your membership should cover the immediate family, but you may still need to be with them.

Leo Dennen Military Rifle Shoot
We will be holding our annual Leo Dennen Military Rifle shoot on Monday, November 11, 2013, veterans day. The match starts at 12pm and is held at our outdoor facility. It is open to members and non members alike. The match is shot with any type military rifle so long as it has open sights and is in it's original military configuration. This has always been one of our favorite activities and is a great way to recognize veterans day. Come down and join us!
For more information, including match rules, click on this link: DENNEN SHOOT 2013

The red lines on the East and West ranges are at 25'.

This is to reduce the incidence of people shooting the floor. Use of a larger than life target closer than 25' can result in a shot passing through the target and impacting the range floor.

Last edited:
The red lines on the East and West ranges are at 25'.

This is to reduce the incidence of people shooting the floor. Use of a larger than life target closer than 25' can result in a shot passing through the target and impacting the range floor.

And from what I understand it's to prevent people from shooting the ceiling when bench resting there pistols.

Back
Top Bottom