Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club

I stayed a little after I shot last week, emptied trash barrels and dragged maybe 150 lbs of wood from the 100 yard range and left it by the fire pit. If everyone just did this it would be a lot cleaner. Doesn't take too long and make sure you wear think gloves..

I stayed a little after I shot last week, emptied trash barrels and dragged maybe 150 lbs of wood from the 100 yard range and left it by the fire pit. If everyone just did this it would be a lot cleaner. Doesn't take too long and make sure you wear think gloves..

That's fantastic! Thinking about it, I'm positive there are more than a few that contribute and clean up. Otherwise the range would be destroyed. It's bringing awareness to the rest to help with cleaning up and and maybe doing some deeper cleaning of the range as a group.

Bringing a shovel, broom, gloves, rake in your truck or car is a great idea. I would personally be more likely to drag splintered pallets when I remember to bring leather gloves, or rake up debris with the proper tools onhand.

Personally, Im not bothered by a slight build up of shell casings at an outdoor range. Its a gun range. Yeah people should try to pick up some - or even better most - of what they shoot. Wooden shards of destroyed palettes are to be expected when they are the de facto target mount. It's the blatant trash and non shooting related garbage that people leave behind that erks me. If you single handedly destroy a pallet in one session, then yes, clean it up.

Personally, Im not bothered by a slight build up of shell casings at an outdoor range. Its a gun range. Yeah people should try to pick up some - or even better most - of what they shoot. Wooden shards of destroyed palettes are to be expected when they are the de facto target mount. It's the blatant trash and non shooting related garbage that people leave behind that erks me. If you single handedly destroy a pallet in one session, then yes, clean it up.

I like to have junk to shoot at too....some trash con be picked up.

Does any members at the Taunton Rife and Pistol Club know the rules regarding having guests come? If you are a member can you have a guest come to just watch you shoot? Never belonged to a club before but looking to join one and just curious if you could bring a family member by to watch or possibly shoot under your supervision of course? Thanks a lot

Does any members at the Taunton Rife and Pistol Club know the rules regarding having guests come? If you are a member can you have a guest come to just watch you shoot? Never belonged to a club before but looking to join one and just curious if you could bring a family member by to watch or possibly shoot under your supervision of course? Thanks a lot

Yes you can do that. Guests are welcome as long as they are directly under the supervision of the member. One of the main reasons I joined TRP.

has anyone ever offered to have a 'brass rat' come to the range (or even some boy scouts) and take as much brass from the outdoor range as they can get? figured it would be a good fundraiser for someone and I don't THINK that the club does anything with the brass that not in the buckets outdoors....

First let me attempt to be clear. I'm not complaining, or asking for any one person to clean up the entire range. Im trying to bring awareness to the range and as a new member I would like to see it improve. I actually picked up a bunch of trash on Sunday before I left. As everyone knows, it's not a one person job. I think the mess feeds onto itself as members may think it's "okay" not to clean up and maybe even dump junk they don't want here, perhaps an old wooden door or something. I'm really hoping that WE can improve the club for everyone's enjoyment. It may help if I post the pictures I took on Sunday.

On the mosquito magnet cage, it's just an eyesore imo. Honestly the benefit of having the magnet outweighs the cosmetic issue of having a rusty cage. Although a bit of TLC would go a ways to improving the aesthetics of the range. I didn't take a picture, but I'm sure everyone has seen it. I'm also aware of the labor involved in sandblasting the cage, and applying paint ... not a small task.

As for the chairs, in review there was actually just one that was broken/ unusable that was standing out. The chair is along side a table that needs repair/replacement:

jkzgx0.jpg

The silver colored chair on the right along with the damaged table seem unusable and just clutter.

As for the Ranges, here is the current state of targets left behind, debris, and other trash.

34hicfq.jpg
2v1vucw.jpg
28md9pt.jpg
1zohwf5.jpg

Despite Clear signs being posted throughout the range; trash, targets, casings, etc are a HUGE issue. People don't clean up!

1zqdhz5.jpg
2j5xe9j.jpg

Here are some quick pictures of trash, shotgun and casings throughout the range on the ground:

2md0vhc.jpg
2s8obio.jpg

This spent casing are not a new problem as seen in the next photo:

20zwug1.jpg

A plus! Broom and shovel! Amazing, hopefully they stay.

w2o9ok.jpg

Last words, I am very excited to be a member of the club and hope to help improve it!!

Question: Without sounding like a jerk, how do we ask our fellow members to clean up after shooting, 12ga, brass; when there is tons of casings at the range? Like I mentioned earlier, the mess seems to feed onto itself. It almost seems okay to not clean up. I personally will continue to pickup what I shoot and more. Although, it will no doubt bother me to see someone shoot and leave without cleaning up trash and casings! ugh!

Thank you.
-Jack

WOW ya that's pretty shitty

Can't wait took a quick tour tonight befor the matches started I got to see both indoor ranges nice place, I handed in my application & hope to be apart of the club, thanks to the guys who helped me out given me the tour & Eric for answering all the questions I had thanks again I apreciate it

Was at the meeting this morning. All applications were accepted so you should be receiving letters in the next few weeks. Once you join please be ab active member by trying to attend monthly meetings and work parties. It is a great club but can only stay that way if we all take it seriously.

Awesome ill absolutely be goin to the monthly meetings & be doin anything else I can do to make the club function great & actually do & go to the work parties thanks guys I apreciate you letting me join thanks again Chris

Will the accepted applicants have the opportunity to attend the orientation this month, or will they have to wait until the October orientation to become active?

Last edited:
All who were accepted should receive a letter from the Membership Secretary which
a) notifies of acceptance
b) informs of next orientation [this month], and which session to attend.

Earlier this year, TRPC was getting too many folks each month to handle in one session, so if there's a large enough group, it is broken down into two sessions, both on Sunday. Orientation takes about 90 minutes, you receive your access card and learn some of the finer points of how to use the ranges.

Was at the meeting this morning. All applications were accepted so you should be receiving letters in the next few weeks. Once you join please be ab active member by trying to attend monthly meetings and work parties. It is a great club but can only stay that way if we all take it seriously.

Cool .. I hope mine made it there, I dropped it off at taunton P.O. on thurs

I tried to go today around noon, but the access road was being resurfaced. I'll try again tomorrow or Friday.

ruts / divots in access road have been leveled

limbs on access road trimmed

Brush and limbs on ranges have been pruned

Access to 300 yard range has been re-cut

debris removed from range impact areas [thanks to all from the work party!]

Various other minor fixes performed, or in progress.

i cant wait to get to see it i just received my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday so i will definetly be attending the next meeting on the 22, i would also love to check out the outdoor range i havent seen it yet. Quick question for the outdoor range is that open only in the summer or can it be used year round?

i cant wait to get to see it i just received my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday so i will definetly be attending the next meeting on the 22, i would also love to check out the outdoor range i havent seen it yet. Quick question for the outdoor range is that open only in the summer or can it be used year round?

Year round. Just know that you must finish shooting by sunset.

Went today and everything looked good, road was nice and smooth. Shot my new WASR and my Windham then cleaned up the debris pile that seems to grow just to the left of the berm on D-50. Any NES'rs shooting among the few that were there ? I was in my BLK F150 w/ RKBA sticker back window.

Im wishing today was the 22,for orientation it would have been a great day to get to a outdoor range, soon enough though, & I dont mind at all helping anyone there if im there cleaning up out there I only have a car so cant fit much in it

I was thinking i might come by for trap Sunday morning. I've never tried it, only ever shot at ducks tbh.

I bought a new mossy 12 gauge today and i'd love to try.

Any tips for beginners?

Back
Top Bottom