• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

talk to me about the Ruger GP100...

Im a little late to the conversation, but i have the GP100 in a 6" and although the 686 has a slightly better trigger, over all the GP100 is built like a tank,

i also was talking to one of the guys at manchester fireing lines, and he said the GP100 takes the abuse long term at the range, and the s&w 686 after time fall apart on them, although you probably will not shoot yours anywhere near what there guns go through,

but on a side note as well the ruger revolvers can take hot reloads that others suposidly cant, so its kinda nice to know the revolver i have can take way more power then the standered 357 rounds

This was a big factor for me purchasing the GP100 because I knew I'd be making some hot reloads for it. I actually just ordered a Super Redhawk 44 mag to accompany the GP100.

Last edited:
This was a big factor for me purchasing the GP100 because I knew I'd be making some hot reloads for it. If you go to the buffalo bore ammo website, they say that their heavy magnum ammo isn't tecommended in Smiths. I actually just ordered a Super Redhawk 44 mag to accompany the GP100.

Where did you see that?

This is what I got off the buffalo bore's site:

Heavy 357 Magnum Ammo - 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Our 357 mag. ammo adds more power than ever before to the 357 mag. This ammo is safe to shoot in ANY all steel 357 revolver - this includes J frames. This ammo is no harder on your gun than any other normal 357 ammo. Please don't phone us and ask if this ammo is safe in your gun. It is, providing your gun is in safe condition for use with any normal 357 ammo.

We don't recommend this ammo to be fired in super light alloy revolvers as bullets may jump crimp under recoil, but the ammo itself wont hurt these super light weight revolvers. These revolvers are simply so light that the recoil is severe enough to cause crimp jump.

The below velocities are offered so that you can see what guns/barrel lengths give what velocities with this new 357 mag. ammo. You'll notice that new S&W revolvers with short barrels are often shooting faster than older S&W revolvers with longer barrels. The new S&W revolvers are very good and are made with equipment that makes them more consistent and faster than the S&W revolvers of yesteryear.

I have a 4" GP100 and love it. I got the 4" for a more comfortable woods carry, but still have enough barrel length for target work/plinking. The 686 is a fine pistol, but not for the price difference IMO, they have a nicer trigger out of the box, but for 10.00 get a wolfe reduced power spring pack, and 15 minutes with a polishing cloth and your GP will have a nicer trigger than any Smith.
+1

Rugers are fantastic. The SP is a great carry revolver, but it's not quite as good (balance wise) as the GP and not designed for large hands. The SP is more of the women's GP. I would recommend the 3" GP any day for carry/HD purposes. But with all the large framed revolvers - the shorter the barrel and the quality of the holster makes all the carry difference. My GP is my EDC. Reliable. Very Comfortable. Accurate.

I'm partial to the SS, but this is a GP! When carried it lives in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake.

Attachments

• 2013-08-25 09.38.57.jpg
    2013-08-25 09.38.57.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 46
  • GP100  Surf & Turf 1.jpg
    GP100 Surf & Turf 1.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2044.jpg
    IMG_2044.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 53
I'm a born again revolver fan - mine's stainless with the 4" barrel - do yourself a major and try one. Sure the 686's are sweet (I'd love one), but for around $200 less the gp100 is a pretty amazing setup. So much fun - this revolver has totally rejuvenated my stoke on shooting!
915674_1516192108620229_861143382_n.jpg

Last edited:
The GP100 is a great revolver. I love the 357 cartridge. Your only question should be what size to buy

I have the elusive 5"

Yep, its on my super short list of upcoming purchases, just trying to wait until after Christmas if possible. These posts are certainly not helping me NOT buy one![laugh] I know it will become a fast favorite range toy, especially once I'm set up to reload (another short list item).

The GP100 is a great revolver. I love the 357 cartridge. Your only question should be what size to buy

I have the elusive 5"

I've never seen a 5" model in person, so I would concur that they are elusive. Where did you find that one?

Just checked back on this thread and saw your question about the shims. Actually three separate things, a spring kit, hammer shims, and trigger shims. All sourced from Brownells. I think there is someone selling a combined shim kit for both trigger and hammer. The sorting kit comes with both main and trigger springs. I didn't bigger swapping out the trigger spring as I liked the feel after just changing the main spring and polishing things up.

Just checked back on this thread and saw your question about the shims. Actually three separate things, a spring kit, hammer shims, and trigger shims. All sourced from Brownells. I think there is someone selling a combined shim kit for both trigger and hammer. The sorting kit comes with both main and trigger springs. I didn't bigger swapping out the trigger spring as I liked the feel after just changing the main spring and polishing things up.

Thanks. Its funny, after you mentioned the shims and springs, I actually noticed some sets of those on eBay while I was randomly looking to see holsters and accessories for the GP. I noticed that the have different pound ratings so I guess it probably takes some experimenting to get the right feel.

I forgot to mention, the ones I'm considering are the 4" barrel model. Since it will be a range toy for the most part, a 6"would be fine too, but the 4" looks very balanced aesthetically to me.
Go for the 3" if you can find it. I traded mine away for a Beretta 92A1, when I should have waited and kept the GP100.
Makes great fireballs on the hot loads [mg]

Purchased on gunbroker about 4 years ago

My brother in law found one in 5" he almost pulled the trigger to buy it, but diden't in the end, im not sure why he did not, possibly the price,

i can tell ya i have not seen one my self so its elusive alright, could be wrong but was it not a dealer special or something?

Last edited:
I have become a Smith & Wesson fan but my first revolver was a GP100 4" that I've thought about selling to buy a Smith a few times. When I bring it to the range I realize it's a keeper and I'll never sell it. DSC_0037.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked up a GP100 6" last Friday, gotta wait that stupid 7 day waiting period before she can come home with me; guy who owned it previously had the greatest trigger job done on it; I now understand the phrase "butter smooth". Even the DA is completely flawless through the break. I'm hooked, now to find more; loved the Super Blackhawk I fired at the pumpkin blast; put nice holes in many pumpkins.

Go for the 3" if you can find it. I traded mine away for a Beretta 92A1, when I should have waited and kept the GP100.
Makes great fireballs on the hot loads [mg]

Another member on here that is local to me suggested the same thing. He said he prefers the 686, but in the 3" length because it gives him the ability to carry it if he wants, while still maintaining enough barrel to make it somewhat practical for target shooting.

Back
Top Bottom