• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

talk to me about the Ruger GP100...

I have a GP100 6" stainless. I bought it on a whi, when I was at Four Seasons; leaning on the counter yakking with Jeff about a 22 rifle they were holding for me, saw the Ruger in the case, fell in love. Took it to the range, haven't had as much fun shooting a gun before or since. Actually giggled:) Yeah, it's a range toy at 6", but WHAT A FREAKING TOY!!! Everybody that sees/hears it wants a closer look, and what's better than having "that gun" that everybody wants to play with?

As far as shootability goes, my fiancee loves it, enjoys shooting 357 out of it more than shooting any other gun in the safe, and that includes her EDC. Both my daughters (13 & 15) shoot it, and shoot it well:) Anybody that was at the last car shoot (I was the birthday boy with the exploding cake) will probably remember one or the other of them making multiple trips to the line to shoot the gun, and no 38 loads either!

Anyway, I love the gun, clearly my girls do also. Mine is flawless and the balls to shoot!

To your second question, Redhawk vs SuperRedhawk, my answer is purely subjective. I plan on the "Regular" Redhawk for two reasons. First, I just like the look better. Second, since I seriously doubt I will ever be shooting 454 Casull, I see no need to pay the extra money. I won't be hunting with it, and if I ever need to hunt 2 legged animals I likely won't be doing it with a handgun, no matter HOW powerful the ammo it can handle may be.

Whatever you DO buy, buy the gun YOU want:)

Attachments

• securedownload-6.jpg
    securedownload-6.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Am I the only one who LOVES to smell the oil on a brand new Ruger firearm? They have "machine shop smell" the moment you open the plastic bag they're wrapped in. I just bought a 4" stainless GP100 and man, was the oil/manufacturing scent pure awesome.

I have not had a chance to go to the range yet, but one thing the GP100 is awesome at, is making an "anti" friend to whom you show it, absolutely shit himself in fear. Some guns don't look scary to anti's, but the GP-100 is a certified "pants-shitter" for the limp-wristed, hashtag-writing, Obama drones in your life.

Thought about a gp100 for my first wheel gun but I stumbled on this last weekend.
d272c18898a6e1b41a2fb9b012e3d4ac.jpg

As long as you don't use the phrase "Dirty Harry style weapon" and remind them that it isn't the ultra killy semi-auto you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought about a gp100 for my first wheel gun but I stumbled on this last weekend.

As long as you don't use the phrase "Dirty Harry style weapon" and remind them that it isn't the ultra killy semi-auto you should be ok.

Now THAT is super sweet! What does something like that go for, if you don't mind me asking?

I have a 4" GP100 and love it. I got the 4" for a more comfortable woods carry, but still have enough barrel length for target work/plinking. The 686 is a fine pistol, but not for the price difference IMO, they have a nicer trigger out of the box, but for 10.00 get a wolfe reduced power spring pack, and 15 minutes with a polishing cloth and your GP will have a nicer trigger than any Smith. The first order of Business for any of my Ruger revolvers is to do this treatment to squeeze the best performance from my revolvers. I do allot of hunting, 100/200 yd target work with revolvers, so its worth it to me. PLUS, you're likely to never hear of someone that wears out a Ruger. I like them for those reasons, not brand bashing by any means, buy what you want and you'll be happy

I forgot to mention, the ones I'm considering are the 4" barrel model. Since it will be a range toy for the most part, a 6"would be fine too, but the 4" looks very balanced aesthetically to me.
I haven't shot any GP100s, so take my advice for what you will, but I have fondled the 4" and 6" models at various times. I love the longer barrel (and longer sight picture) of the 6", but it felt very nose heavy to me. The 4" felt very well balanced in my hand. I had a very hard time deciding which I wanted, then I found the Davidson's 5" GP100. Now I know exactly what one I'm buying. [smile]

Now THAT is super sweet! What does something like that go for, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! Picked it up for $725 with a beat up box and it was scratched to hell but low round count and a little elbow grease got her polished right up. I think there's a store in Westport called *something* village with one for $900 which isn't too bad considering they're $1300 new.

500 magnum is pricey but you'll never shoot more money's worth than .45 without wrist problems. Plus it's worth the look on people's faces that first shot in an indoor range. Hehe

I'll never edc a revolver so I figured "why not go big?" Plus it was time for something absurd as I have enough practical guns.

Last edited:
I haven't shot any GP100s, so take my advice for what you will, but I have fondled the 4" and 6" models at various times. I love the longer barrel (and longer sight picture) of the 6", but it felt very nose heavy to me. The 4" felt very well balanced in my hand. I had a very hard time deciding which I wanted, then I found the Davidson's 5" GP100. Now I know exactly what one I'm buying. [smile]

5" certainly would be an excellent compromise. I went to a local dealer today so that I could handle both the 686 and the GP100, unfortunately, I couldn't get a feel for the trigger pull because it was one of those shops that zipties the trigger and cylinder.[rolleyes] It did give me the ability to do a side by side comparison, although not quite apples to apples because the 686 was the 6", and the GP was 4". To me (without being able to compare triggers), the 4" GP felt better balance wise, but the sights were better on the 686, as well as the sight radius. The price difference wasn't huge, it was $75 more for the 686-6. What added more confusion to the mix was that he just got in a P938, which I've been wanting for awhile now. Now I'm torn between something I could carry everyday (practical), and a sexy hand cannon which would be mainly a range toy. Wish I had the budget for both![frown]

Now that is sexy as hell.

Really enjoy shooting my GP100. I've had a few friends try it out, including first time shooters, and the result is always the same ear to ear grin. Single action trigger was pretty good out of the box but double action wasn't great. I'm sure a few hundred trigger pulls would have smoothed it out but I grew impatient and did a little trigger work following the online guides. Swapped in a wolf reduced main spring and shimmed the hammer and trigger. Well worth the few dollars and a little of my time.

First time I shot my Gp100 6" I fell in love with it, wouldn't think about getting rid of it. Also can't go wrong with the price of them.

GP100 4 inch in stainless was the very first handgun I ever purchased.
Purchased it used for $250 in 1992 from previous owner, who bought it new in 1990.

My stainless GP100 4" goes on every range trip and hunting trip. I love it. Built like a tank and easy to clean. I put a Wolfe spring kit in it and it is quite the accurate gun. .38 spl through it is like shooting a .22. I am at least the second owner and have put thousands of rounds through it.

I reload .357 mag. for it and have come up with some really nice round combinations that range from extremely accurate to "what the heck was that?!" loads. Best part is you don't have to chase the brass.

Really enjoy shooting my GP100. I've had a few friends try it out, including first time shooters, and the result is always the same ear to ear grin. Single action trigger was pretty good out of the box but double action wasn't great. I'm sure a few hundred trigger pulls would have smoothed it out but I grew impatient and did a little trigger work following the online guides. Swapped in a wolf reduced main spring and shimmed the hammer and trigger. Well worth the few dollars and a little of my time.

Does the spring kit come with shims for the trigger, or did you make, or source those separately? As I said, I have no wheel gun experience but I always end up doing trigger mods on everything I own because like you, I'm not patient enough to wait/hope it wears in.

My stainless GP100 4" goes on every range trip and hunting trip. I love it. Built like a tank and easy to clean. I put a Wolfe spring kit in it and it is quite the accurate gun. .38 spl through it is like shooting a .22. I am at least the second owner and have put thousands of rounds through it.

I reload .357 mag. for it and have come up with some really nice round combinations that range from extremely accurate to "what the heck was that?!" loads. Best part is you don't have to chase the brass.

Yep, the "not having to chase brass" is going to be a pleasant treat! I wish I could find a nice used one, but people seem to hang on to them more than most guns (probably for good reason!)

Last edited:
Own a 686 and love that gun. I have shot the GP100 and it is also nice. I like my Smith better though.

I cannot speak to the GP100, but I recently purchased an SP101, 2.25 inch barrel, no exposed hammer, double action only. Love it !!! Highly accurate, comfortable carrying, and a nice looking work of art. Own many S&W revolvers, and highly recommend them as well, but this one is special.

This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between the SP and GP series? I used to think it was that the GP series was stainless, but I've seen blued versions of those, so it must be something else. I've never seen them side by side to compare.

Im a little late to the conversation, but i have the GP100 in a 6" and although the 686 has a slightly better trigger, over all the GP100 is built like a tank,

i also was talking to one of the guys at manchester fireing lines, and he said the GP100 takes the abuse long term at the range, and the s&w 686 after time fall apart on them, although you probably will not shoot yours anywhere near what there guns go through,

but on a side note as well the ruger revolvers can take hot reloads that others suposidly cant, so its kinda nice to know the revolver i have can take way more power then the standered 357 rounds

This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between the SP and GP series? I used to think it was that the GP series was stainless, but I've seen blued versions of those, so it must be something else. I've never seen them side by side to compare.

SP is a lighter weight small frame 5 shot version.

Back
Top Bottom