talk to me about the Ruger GP100...

I'm looking for some feedback on the GP100 since I currently don't own any wheel guns, so have nothing to compare to. I've been eyeing them for about the past year and lately been jonesing to buy some cool new gun related toy. Part of me wants to buy another carry gun such as the p938 (probably more practical choice for the money), but then something about that sexy stainless revolver just draws me in. For those that have them, or have used them, is this a good wheel gun quality-wise, trigger pull, accuracy, etc.? What about for HD use? Thanks in advance for any guidance since as I said I am a newb with wheel guns.

Freaking awesome. Put alot of rounds through DA and it will likely not need a trigger job. Great weight, durable, and stainless sexy.

Friend had one which I shot quite a bit and enjoyed. Nice gun and I don't think you could go wrong in purchasing one. Although I prefer smith revolvers, just personal preference, there in nothing I didn't like about the gp100 buy it and enjoy it

Yes to everything you asked, they are over built, you won't wear it out. I use one for my students to shoot and lost count how many round have been thru it.

I've got the 6" stainless and don't think I'll ever part with it. I've had it for a little over 3 years now and it's a TANK. The trigger was good out of the box a little heavy but smooth. I had Greg Derr do a trigger job on it a few months after owning it which helped a lot. Made it a little lighter and slightly smoother. I've shot probably 2,000+ 357 rounds through it and maybe 1,000 38s and haven't had any issues yet. I replaced the front sight with a hi viz fiber optic site which was very easy to install took about a minute and made a world of difference with aiming/accuracy. At the time it was over $200 cheaper than a 686 (which I thought I wanted) so I used the money saved for a trigger job and bunch of ammo.

Get it you won't regret it. This was me shooting it on Sunday just before sunset.
View attachment 120208

Now I'm trying to decide on another revolver. The Redhawk or Super Redhawk in 44 mag.

6" stainless was my first gun. I'll never get rid of it. Built like a tank, very accurate, looks awesome... what's not to love?

The Smith will certainly have a better trigger out of the box but it will definitely not outlast a Ruger that's fed a steady diet of hot loaded 357 Magnum rounds. I've got some Buffalo Bore 158 gr JHPs and BB 180 gr hardcast rounds and damn they're hot. I'm pretty sure they have a note on their website warning using their heavy magnum rounds in a Smith but fine for Rugers.

Doesnt mean a Smith will blow up after 1k rounds but I just liked how beefy the Rugers are and at $200 cheaper than a 686, I'm sold!

Great feedback so far! I was thinking it was a solid choice, but figured it is always good to get opinions from those with more experience. My biggest hurdle at this point will probably be deciding what I would ultimately enjoy the most, something like the 938 that I would carry everyday, or a super sexy range toy like the GP100. I don't own anything in .357/.38 at this point, so how is availability and cost? Obviously ammo cost needs to factor in for now until I get set up to reload, then that won't matter as much.

I purchased the 4" SS model this past March and love it.

The only thing I did was install the hi viz fiber optic sight. The Ruger sights were good enough when shooting outside, but shooting at the indoor range was a little tricky for me.

I've shot between 700-800 rounds of .357 and .38 special without issue.

Everyone that I let shoot it has liked it.

When I decided to buy it was between the 686 and GP100. The 686 was out-of-stock.[wink]

I was forced to carry one when I worked in Boston. Hated it. Buy a Smith.

Just out of curiosity, what did you not like about it that makes you say the Smith is better? I'm not averse to something like a 686, but see more availability on the GP, and from what I gather the cost is quite a bit lower, which is a factor because my budget is around the $600 range. I've also read that the later Smiths has some kind of hokey locking device built in which a lot of people don't seem to like. I have no first hand experience with that though.

Great feedback so far! I was thinking it was a solid choice, but figured it is always good to get opinions from those with more experience. My biggest hurdle at this point will probably be deciding what I would ultimately enjoy the most, something like the 938 that I would carry everyday, or a super sexy range toy like the GP100. I don't own anything in .357/.38 at this point, so how is availability and cost? Obviously ammo cost needs to factor in for now until I get set up to reload, then that won't matter as much.

Shooters Outpost sells American Eagle 357 for $25. You can buy cases online for about $21-$22 a box shipped. So $20-$25 is the typical price for 357. 38s are about $15-$18ish.

My 357 reloads using 158 gr SJHPs cost me about $10 a box. You save big reloading 357.

I purchased the 4" SS model this past March and love it.

The only thing I did was install the hi viz fiber optic sight. The Ruger sights were good enough when shooting outside, but shooting at the indoor range was a little tricky for me.

I've shot between 700-800 rounds of .357 and .38 special without issue.

Everyone that I let shoot it has liked it.

When I decided to buy it was between the 686 and GP100. The 686 was out-of-stock.[wink]

I forgot to mention, the ones I'm considering are the 4" barrel model. Since it will be a range toy for the most part, a 6"would be fine too, but the 4" looks very balanced aesthetically to me.

Just out of curiosity, what did you not like about it that makes you say the Smith is better? I'm not averse to something like a 686, but see more availability on the GP, and from what I gather the cost is quite a bit lower, which is a factor because my budget is around the $600 range. I've also read that the later Smiths has some kind of hokey locking device built in which a lot of people don't seem to like. I have no first hand experience with that though.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...6-(Lock)-Question?highlight=smith+wesson+lock

Shooters Outpost sells American Eagle 357 for $25. You can buy cases online for about $21-$22 a box shipped. So $20-$25 is the typical price for 357. 38s are about $15-$18ish.

My 357 reloads using 158 gr SJHPs cost me about $10 a box. You save big reloading 357.

Excellent info, thanks! I really should be putting this money towards a press, but its been awhile since I bought a new gun so I kind of need a fix! Damn this addiction![laugh]

The new Smiths do have a lock. The biggest thing I didn't like was the trigger. God it seemed like a 12 pound trigger with 2 inches of travel.

20131206_090739_Richtone(HDR)-1.jpg

I have a 3" GP100 and I love it. OP....Where are you located? I'd be happy to let you put some rounds through it to form your own opinion.

Excellent info, thanks! I really should be putting this money towards a press, but its been awhile since I bought a new gun so I kind of need a fix! Damn this addiction![laugh]

Well definitely save your brass and start gathering components if you haven't already. As soon as I realized there might be a chance that I'll reload, I started saving my brass.

http://grabagun.com/ruger-gp100-357mag-6-hbbl-da-as-ss.html

6" $572 shipped plus $25 transfer fee, you're just under your $600 budget. Great company, bought 3 guns from them with no issues over the last couple years. The 3" and 4" models seem to be harder to find these days. I'm glad I got the 6" since I like getting the most velocity out of my reloads using slower burning magnum powders (2400, 296, H110)

Last edited:
What everyone else said. I have an early 80's vintage 6" blued and while it doesn't look as beastly (or sexy) as the newer stainless ones, it's just a fantastic shooter. It is by far my wife's favorite to shoot because there's so much mass there, recoil is virtually non-existent. Even my 10yo can shoot it SA offhand @ 7 yards and stay on a paper plate. I paid $400 for it and it is worth all of it and then some.

I shot both the GP100 and the S&W 686+ I now own the 686+. You really can't go wrong with either one, but I chose the 686+ because it had a better trigger and 7 rounds. Also if you don't mind waiting and saving up a bit more I highly recommend the S&W R8 revolver it's super nice and is an 8 shot [rockon]

Last edited:
Am I the only one who LOVES to smell the oil on a brand new Ruger firearm? They have "machine shop smell" the moment you open the plastic bag they're wrapped in. I just bought a 4" stainless GP100 and man, was the oil/manufacturing scent pure awesome.

I have not had a chance to go to the range yet, but one thing the GP100 is awesome at, is making an "anti" friend to whom you show it, absolutely shit himself in fear. Some guns don't look scary to anti's, but the GP-100 is a certified "pants-shitter" for the limp-wristed, hashtag-writing, Obama drones in your life.

I like the GP100 and may get one myself soon. I've shot them and S&W's, and while the S&W is indeed a bit nicer in terms of finish and trigger, the difference in price, to me, isn't worth it. Others may feel differently.

Of course, I went for a S&W model 60 pro over a Ruger SP101, so maybe I'm firearm bi-polar.

I shot both the GP100 and the S&W 686+ I now own the 686+. You really can't go wrong with either one, but I chose the 686+ because it had a better trigger and 7 rounds. Also if you don't mind waiting and saving up a bit more I highly recommend the S&W R8 revolver it's super nice and is an 8 shot [rockon]

Interesting. I'm not familiar with the R8, but will keep my eyes open.

I haven't bought .38 or .357 in a while but in the midst of the craziness I was paying about $20 for .38 and, although hard to find, $25 for .357 As I understand it, prices have gone down a bit recently but don't take my word for it.

View attachment 120209

I have a 3" GP100 and I love it. OP....Where are you located? I'd be happy to let you put some rounds through it to form your own opinion.
The 3" is dead sexy!

Back
Top Bottom