Talk me out of moving back to Massachusetts

So I moved out of MA five years ago up to Maine, and I love it here.

Problem is, I was offered a dream job at a dream organization..... in East Boston. Right now, it would be a 2 hour + commute one way. I don't even like driving, and that is way too much time away from family, and too sedentary a lifestyle, and too stressful.

Even Kittery is kinda far away, though NH isn't bad, but my wife would have to find the "perfect town".

Talk me out of looking in MA, I'm getting tempted!

Are you kidding? You need to be convinced? Where do you want me to start?

Take a look at your gun collection, take a look at any "scary black rifles" you may have, take a look at your high capacity magazines for your rifles and hand guns, and then realize you would need to relinquish most of them.

Now after you take a look at the collection, take a look at your carry gun, the one you're use to carrying around and feel naked without, and realize that you may end up in a town where the COP won't allow you to carry, hell he might not even give you a license, and then that collection you were able to bring into Mass is going to be up for sale.

There's a pretty good reason for you.

It all depends on the job my friend. I would move to San Fran if my dream job was there and offered. No matter where you live, you'll always have NES!!!

Do you have any good solid brick walls in your house? If so, go over to it, lean back, and smack your forehead against it as hard as you can. Repeat until the urge goes away...

2867253326_792146d6e7.jpg

Did you recently receive a frontal lobotomy?

How long before the dream job becomes a nightmare and you are then stuck in the hell that is Mass.

If you can afford to live in a green town outside of Boston within easy commuting to East Boston it could be doable. But what is it worth to lose your freedom`s? The commute will suck no matter where you live.

Take a look at your gun collection, take a look at any "scary black rifles" you may have, take a look at your high capacity magazines for your rifles and hand guns, and then realize you would need to relinquish most of them.

Now after you take a look at the collection, take a look at your carry gun, the one you're use to carrying around and feel naked without, and realize that you may end up in a town where the COP won't allow you to carry, hell he might not even give you a license, and then that collection you were able to bring into Mass is going to be up for sale.

There's a pretty good reason for you.
I'm pretty sure he can bring anything that isn't MA. compliant into MA. legally if he bought it out of state when he was a resident there. He can move to a "Green" town to pretty much assure himself getting his permit. That being said I think he should stay put in Maine and make do with whatever he's making now. There are too many positives living in Maine that far outweigh making more money in Massachusetts. Money is only a small piece of the equation.

Move to NH, right on the MA border. Keep yourself a few miles from 93 and you'll be good. I live in Pelham work outside worcester.

I'm pretty sure he can bring anything that isn't MA. compliant into MA. legally if he bought it out of state when he was a resident there. He can move to a "Green" town to pretty much assure himself getting his permit. That being said I think he should stay put in Maine and make do with whatever he's making now. There are too many positives living in Maine that far outweigh making more money in Massachusetts. Money is only a small piece of the equation.

You're right, except any rifle that falls under the Mass AWB that was not manufactured before 1994 (I'm unsure of the exact month) and any high cap mags would also need to be left behind if not manufactured before the AWB date.

STOP - DO NOT PASS GO - STOP IN NH

I have Moonbat associates who, themselves, had enough of MA and moved to Dover, NH. Oddly- they became more reasonable after that. Where you stand on things is often based upon where you sit... (They moved their business too)

Many years ago I was introduced to an openly gay executive in a large company in MA. He and his partner moved from MA to NH because of the differences in gun laws. It was odd, but I "got it".

Get a NH place close to a MBTA train station - drive a "station car" to get to the station - and take the train in. They have WiFi now...

/wingnut - used to live in many places, including Central Maine and the People's Commonwealth

Move to NH... No state tax, no income tax (though you'll be working in mass... d'oh), and you'll be closer to work.

But remember this, once you move to mass, your passport back north will not be valid. They'll stop you at the NH border and tell you to turn around. :p

I fit's not a job that's offering you you several times your usual salary don't even think about it. As someone else said, it's a rough commute, but East Boston is doable from southern NH. (about 2.5 hours total each day commuting).

With what I know now, it would take something truly stupendous job-wise to make me even think about it.

Just read some of the posts about what's going on in MA. The Manchester man, tax hikes, absurd gun laws, more tax hikes, forced health insurance. Need I go on?

I can see wanting to work here.... but wanting to live here.... especially when you're already on safe land.....

I'd only ever do that if I had no other choice. Usually there are a lot of choices.

Do you have a decent job now? I'd rather keep a decent job that pays less and not live in a crappy state.

ETA: Well, maybe for a LARGE pay increase for some time I'd bite my tongue.... but it'd have to be pretty large.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The grass is always greener...

Others have pointed out the loss of your rights, and let's not forget Massachusetts still does not have a "Katrina" bill to protect against confiscation of firearms diuring an emergency - which is exactly when you'll need them.

Right now, it would be a 2 hour + commute one way.

So commuting would be four hours out of your life every day, and thet's in good weather with no accident or traffic delays.

I don't even like driving, and that is way too much time away from family, and too sedentary a lifestyle, and too stressful.

You don't like driving. (Can't blame you been there, done that.)

Too much time away from family (Which is something you'll never get back.)

Too sedentary ( You could always just buy bigger pants. [wink] )

Too stressful. (Who likes dealing with road rage and traffic ? )

Ever see an epitaph stating "I wish I'd spent more time at work ." ?

Please rethink your potential actions......you'll only have the rest of your life to regret the move.

I'll be moving in a few months, and have decided to probably stay in MA, even though southern NH is an option. Why? It's way easier to maintain a Resident LTC to shoot at Harvard Sportsman's Club than a 100$ yearly non-resident. Crazy? Maybe.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, yes, it does kind of sound crazy. I may have to rethink this.

I'll be moving in a few months, and have decided to probably stay in MA, even though southern NH is an option. Why? It's way easier to maintain a Resident LTC to shoot at Harvard Sportsman's Club than a 100$ yearly non-resident. Crazy? Maybe.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, yes, it does kind of sound crazy. I may have to rethink this.

You'll have better club options in southern NH, fewer licensing hassles, easier NFA if you go that route, suppressors are legal in NH, no slaes tax, cheaper insurance, better political climate in most places there. Keep rethinking.

Move to NH, right on the MA border. Keep yourself a few miles from 93 and you'll be good. I live in Pelham work outside worcester.

How is your commute from Pelham to the Worcester area? I work in Westborough, MA and I have been flirting with the idea of selling my place and buying in the Pelham area. I have a very short commute, but I am getting fed up with the moonbat mentality in the People's Republic.

How sure are you that this is your dream job? I ask this because in any given work situation, there's a very good chance that it can go from great to dismal in a few months time. If you really are sure that this would be a great job and career move and you can't handle the commute from NH to E. Boston (it would suck and I wouldn't want to do it), then move to a green town in MA.

Yes, MA has plenty of issues but even a one hour commute each way over the course of a year is about 500 hours. You can't replace wasted time.

Back
Top Bottom