• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Desert Eagle Megathread…

Wow, Andrew. Someone resurrected your 2019 Coonan thread and after reading through some of the more recent postings in that thread, you said, "I sure as hell ain’t getting a DE. The Coonan wasn’t obnoxiously big which I liked." So what did you do? You went and bought a DE! What are we going to do with you? [rofl]

[IMG alt="andrew1220"]https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/data/avatars/m/28/28083.jpg?1613747012[/IMG]

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129 0 0
Add Feedback
Joined Oct 2, 2011
Messages15,430
Likes11,165
Location North Shore
CoastieRon said:
Damn it, a .357 1911 was on my to do list.

Now what.
I sure as hell ain’t getting a DE. The Coonan wasn’t obnoxiously big which I liked.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019

Like Quote Reply
Reactions:CoastieRon and drgrant

Someone please talk me out of buying a Desert Eagle in 44 mag and help my wallet[laugh]

I've literally never held or shot one but I've got a ton of 44 mag ammo (since I reload) and I thought it would be a nice addition to my DW revolver and Henry lever gun?? I just feel like I would enjoy shooting it but maybe I'm wrong?

So are the certain models/versions to look for? Are the older IMI/IWI (made in Israel) desert eagles better than the Magnum Research (made in USA)?? How do the triggers/reliability compare among the different versions? I'm hearing that the older models had consistent 2 stage triggers that were nice?

I suspect I won't even find one (especially at a price I like) so this whole discussion might be moot[laugh]

I will only buy one in brushed or polished chrome or SS. I have no interest in the black/nitride finishes. I wouldn't be opposed to the titanium gold if the price was right[laugh]
I had one. it's just to big for the caliber. Dumped mine as fast as I could, after 1 range visit and got a Smith 629. 32 years later, I'm still shooting the Smith 629 and loving it, as much as I did the day I bought it. I've hunted deer in Maine and wild boar in Vermont with it. It's a great hand gun.

Wow, Andrew. Someone resurrected your 2019 Coonan thread and after reading through some of the more recent postings in that thread, you said, "I sure as hell ain’t getting a DE. The Coonan wasn’t obnoxiously big which I liked." So what did you do? You went and bought a DE! What are we going to do with you? [rofl]

[IMG alt="andrew1220"]https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/data/avatars/m/28/28083.jpg?1613747012[/IMG]

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129 0 0
Add Feedback
Joined Oct 2, 2011
Messages15,430
Likes11,165
Location North Shore

I sure as hell ain’t getting a DE. The Coonan wasn’t obnoxiously big which I liked.

Like Quote Reply
Ah shit[laugh]

I had one. it's just to big for the caliber. Dumped mine as fast as I could, after 1 range visit and got a Smith 629. 32 years later, I'm still shooting the Smith 629 and loving it, as much as I did the day I bought it. I've hunted deer in Maine and wild boar in Vermont with it. It's a great hand gun.
Yeah we’ll see how I like it. I’ve got the Dan Wesson 44 mag revolver with the 10" barrel which I love shooting. I figured it would be cool to have a massive 44 mag revolver and a massive 44 mag semi auto.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129 0 0
Add Feedback
Joined Oct 2, 2011
Messages15,430
Likes11,165
Location North Shore

Like Quote Reply

Sh*t. Does this mean magnum research is going to close like Coonan did after Andrew broke that company?

I have all black with built in comp 44 plus stainless 50AE barrel.

It’s a cool gun. If you reload you will be able to dial in the rounds to get it to cycle consistently.

I find it eats Underwood and Buffalo bore loads best. Need to have firm grip but be careful because a lot of people when they use a standard grip hit the slide stop upon shooting and it will slow it enough to not cycle properly. I love it it’s def a fun gun. I also find I need to keep it pretty well oiled (more than any of my other guns) for it to run well.

I have a 44 Mag DE and it is a totally stupid over priced toy but I do love having it, only get it out once in a while to shoot and you can only shoot about 1 magazine an outing but it does pretty much stop all activity at the range that first shot and everyone leans back to see who is making all the noise. Once of the brands ammo I have shoots a nice visible flame and it will blow all the dust on the floor downrange, so it is nice and dramatic! One benefit not that you can probably shoot it enough to make a big difference is 44 Mag is about half the price of 50AE and easier to find (well when things were normal anyway). I have never ever had it have one issue so far in 6 or 7 years, but also probably only shot 50 rounds through it.

I also find I need to keep it pretty well oiled (more than any of my other guns) for it to run well.
Thanks for that tip. I had been watching some YT videos trying to see what's the best way to lube/grease the DE. I'll make sure to be more generous with Slip 2000 EWL.

Last edited:
I have a 44 Mag DE and it is a totally stupid over priced toy but I do love having it, only get it out once in a while to shoot and you can only shoot about 1 magazine an outing but it does pretty much stop all activity at the range that first shot and everyone leans back to see who is making all the noise. Once of the brands ammo I have shoots a nice visible flame and it will blow all the dust on the floor downrange, so it is nice and dramatic! One benefit not that you can probably shoot it enough to make a big difference is 44 Mag is about half the price of 50AE and easier to find (well when things were normal anyway). I have never ever had it have one issue so far in 6 or 7 years, but also probably only shot 50 rounds through it.
[laugh] Yeah I'll be the first to admit that it is an overpriced toy but I feel like I'll really enjoy shooting it. I reload 44 magnum so it cost me like $12-$13 per box and I've got thousands of rounds loaded up with components to load more. So ammo availability/cost is no issue to me really.

Even so I doubt I'll be shooting hundreds of rounds every week with this. I'll probably just blew through 50 rounds every time I bring it to the range.

Wow. I was reading about that grip issue hitting the slide stop. I guess it might be tough to use my typical thumbs forward grip.
Yea thats the kicker the typical 2 thumbs stacked on the left side seems to be the issue. I sometimes forget to keep my left hand almost cupping the bottom of the magwell and then keeping my right thumb a little lower when I grip. When I do that no issues.

Yea thats the kicker the typical 2 thumbs stacked on the left side seems to be the issue. I sometimes forget to keep my left hand almost cupping the bottom of the magwell and then keeping my right thumb a little lower when I grip. When I do that no issues.
Good to know. Have you needed to change out springs yet?
I figured since the one I bought is used and it's an older model, it might be worth having a spring kit on hand. So I ordered a spring kit from midway which will be here on wednesday.
Just in case the recoil springs or mag springs need to be replaced. The pawn shop that I bought it from said it's in excellent condition and doesn't appear to be fired much. But you never know.

Good to know. Have you needed to change out springs yet?
I figured since the one I bought is used and it's an older model, it might be worth having a spring kit on hand. So I ordered a spring kit from midway which will be here on wednesday.
Just in case the recoil springs or mag springs need to be replaced. The pawn shop that I bought it from said it's in excellent condition and doesn't appear to be fired much. But you never know.
Yea I got mine new and probably have 150 rounds total through it between 44 and 50AE so I haven’t had to change out spring but yea makes sense to swap the spring it def won’t hurt!

The factory rubber hogue grips are decent but just soooooo ugly I had to swap them out. Wicked grips has a nice selection so went with them.

Back
Top Bottom