Take your kid to the range = get suspended from school

Great point. You totally deserve to be punished for posting what you ate for dinner.

Clearly you don’t understand what freedom of speech means. Because having the ability to post something stupid that jct doesn’t like and not be punished for it is precisely what it means.

Freedom of speech is one thing, being cognizant of a national debate and the sensitivity thereof is wholly different.

Great point. You totally deserve to be punished for posting what you ate for dinner.

Clearly you don’t understand what freedom of speech means. Because having the ability to post something stupid that jct doesn’t like and not be punished for it is precisely what it means.
yup you convinced me.

Freedom of speech is one thing, being cognizant of a national debate and the sensitivity thereof is wholly different.

You're right. Cognizance of the national mood is important.

Please let us know when it's "too soon."

If, after a nutball shoots some people, everyone with a gun STFU online, and at the office, etc., then the only information, etc., that's out there is BANEVILGUNZ!!!!

We constantly preach that we're safe and sane, and DON'T go around shooting people, so we should not be penalized for others' actions. Taking your kid to the range, safely, and teaching and passing along the traditions is a good thing. But if the only place that we post and discuss is here, in our private little world, we're well and truly screwed.

I understand that 1A is about .gov censorship, and that it does not apply to private fora, NES included. However, letting ourselves be shut down because of "sensitivity" is not a good tactic.

If you post a 'booyah!' for a mass shooting, that's asinine. If you post a range trip with your kid....that's different.

Don't want to? Don't. But a tasteful, safety oriented post is the sort of public engagement we need.

Some people just don't get it.

Or maybe some people want people to be able to say whatever they want without fear of punishment as opposed to not posting whatever they want because they'll get punished. So good point. Some people don't get it and are fine with submission.

He was suspended. So what are you suggesting? Being aware people don't like guns means you shouldn't get to have free speech now either?

He was suspended. So what are you suggesting? Being aware people don't like guns means you shouldn't get to have free speech now either?

Don’t put words in my mouth - that’s not what I said or implied. I’m pro-2A. Unequivocally.

That said, my opinion/message is not resonating with this group, so I’m out of this thread. Odessa, TX today was another shooting. All I’m saying is that this is not the time I’d be posting anything about firearms.

Don’t put words in my mouth - that’s not what I said or implied. I’m pro-2A. Unequivocally.

That said, my opinion/message is not resonating with this group, so I’m out of this thread. Odessa, TX today was another shooting. All I’m saying is that this is not the time I’d be posting anything about firearms.

1. That happened after this.
2. It's irrelevant.
3. Equating lawful target shooting to murder plays directly into the anti-gun rhetoric.
4. You are posting on a firearm forum about firearms.
5. Correct, curtailing first amendment rights because some people hate our second amendment rights does not resonate at all with me.
6. I didn't put words in your mouth. I asked a question, because yes, you did imply it. And you just did it again in this post too.

Or maybe some people want people to be able to say whatever they want without fear of punishment as opposed to not posting whatever they want because they'll get punished. So good point. Some people don't get it and are fine with submission.

Why are you making this about guns? Its about posting stuff on line you probably shouldn't. Like you own guns, when your going on vacation, your address.

Stop putting crap online.
Disagree, put all sorts of gun stuff online, make it normal again. I buy a new gun and pics are going on facebook not to show off but to piss off any stray liberals that I may have overlooked deleting in the friends list.

The entire intent of 1A isn’t necessarily to protect speech that is pedestrian but to protect speech that is controversial and maybe rustles some jimmys.

The framers wanted people to have the ability to speak truth to power. All of this anti-freedom movement on the left is designed to make those that don’t believe in the narrative that they are being fed to shut the f*** up. This goes for 2A just as much as any other issue.

All I’m saying is that this is not the time I’d be posting anything about firearms.

I tend to believe if we post more stuff online, it will be perceived ( rightly so ) as more mainstream. What this parent needs to do is coordinate a group shoot with dozens of students. Then dare the school board to act. Make sure you include the captains of all the sports teams and the President of the National Honor Society.

If we turn firearms and shooting into a dirty secret, and keep it " in the closet" so to speak, we enable the anti's to talk about it like it is abnormal behavior. On the contrary, we should saturate these platforms with examples of responsible firearms use and training to illustrate that it is a legal and wholesome activity.

The media continues to cover shootings to push ratings and stir up emotion. And there is no question that it does. However, I think that many people read these stories and realize that their best course of action is to carry a firearm and learn how to use it.
The most recent shooting in Odessa Tx made me think that if someone was going to target me in a random shooting, I am going to shoot back, and with many years of practice, I always hit what I am shooting at.

At the very least don't act like, or spread the message that legally owning a firearm, or using it in a safe, sane responsible manner is something one needs to hide, be afraid to share with like minded folk, or be ashamed of. If you do this.....they've already won.

Well, all I've got to say is that the public school district is an agent of the state, which engenders some restrictions on what they can and cannot do vis-a-vis 1A rights. ACLU: "You have the right to speak your mind on social media, and your school cannot punish you for content you post off campus and outside of school hours that does not relate to school."

Why are you making this about guns? Its about posting stuff on line you probably shouldn't. Like you own guns, when your going on vacation, your address.

I hear what you are saying, and it is solid advice.
But in this case the school board is making it about guns.

I live in one of the most liberal/progressive areas in the nation. I am circumspect about things like pro-gun bumper stickers on my car, because I know my highly tolerant neighbors would not hesitate to key my car or break my windows. Still, I'm an old man and to some extent don't give a shit what others think about my lawful pursuits. I've posted photos of me and my family shooting. Some think I'm a bad father and husband--don't care what they think. I will not be cowed by the PC crap of the left nor will I slink into the shadows because I exercise my rights. I believe it was Eric Holder who bared the left's plan--brainwash them to hate guns as we have done with cigarettes. I will not be part of that.

Back
Top Bottom