Tac-ti-fool-ish-ness

tactifoolishness_009.jpg

tactifoolishness_008.jpg

tactifoolishness_006.jpg

tactifoolishness_010.jpg

tactifoolishness.jpg

This is not... I repeat... not a standard configuration SKS rifle gone bubba. It's yet another Yugo-nese (yugo receiver, chinese barrel) just like the one I assembled from varoius parts guns and gave to my son - not a single matching number. I did use the hammered finish paint on the receiver, rear sight block, front stock ferrule, bayonet lug and front sight - hopefully parts that won't heat up as much as the barrel and gas tube. The rear sight was painted by myself, it was one of those dull-cast Yugo replacement sights with no painted numbers to begin with, so I thought a little shine wouldn't hurt the ladder, I left the flat finish on the sight itself to cut down on glare.

I actually have had this rifle together in a wood stock for several weeks and test fired it for function and accuracy. I'm mildly concerned with the headspace on this one, as the primer strikes seem a bit deeper than most SKS's, but thus far (40-50 rounds) it has not pierced nor popped a primer yet.

It is one of my more accurate SKS's at 3 MOA, the only better ones are a refurb Russian and a Romanian. So, trust it in a fire-fight? So far, yes, but of course I'll do some more extensive testing - say, another 3-400 rounds to be sure. Thanks for looking guys (and gals)!

Nice SKS. How durable is that hammer finish paint when used on a firearm? What did you do to prep the metal? I am curious as I would like to do something similar to a gun of mine. Also, have you ever painted a synthetic stock before? If so what kind of prep does it involve and how does it stand up?

No, this is tactifoolishness.

[grin] And it's black and evil!

I haven't even had a chance to fire it since the paint job, Kenny. But I did test the paint on an old shot out Yugo SKS barrel before I put it on an operating gun. I let oil sit on it for a few days, bumped and banged it with a light tap from a hammer and it seems to stay on. On the one pictured, I kept the paint off the barrel and gas tubes themselves to avoid peeling from heat when I pop off a few mags in a row. The hammered finish paint is not high temp resistant.

The Chinese barrel from Numrich had a good bore but some serious rust on the outside. I wire wheeled most of it off.
new_mongrel_015.jpg

new_mongrel_017.jpg

tactifoolishness_001.jpg

For prep, I just used the Birchwood Casey blueing and rust remover to strip, and the paint has its own primer - two light coats covered perfectly. I applied Cold Blueing to the rest of the barrel.
tactifoolishness_004.jpg

tactifoolishness_008.jpg

I have yet to paint any plastic, but there are several choices of plastic paint at any hardware store... but I'll defer any experience on that to someone who has.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom