• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tips on how to block gas port

SKumar

NES Member
I have a 16" AR barrel that I shoot 22lr out of. I originally dumped JB weld in the hole and it worked for a few months, then it blew off. I put more cold weld, blew off after a couple range sessions. I'm not shooting 223, just 22.

1.) Should I throw soder in there? More cold weld? Wrap it with aluminum foil and seal it with duct tape? Is there a device out there I can just plug it in?
2.) Is it even necessary in the first place? I'm shooting fine, but I can't help but wonder if the tiny loss of gas affects ballistics.

THANK YOU [hmmm]

I have a 16" AR barrel that I shoot 22lr out of. I originally dumped JB weld in the hole and it worked for a few months, then it blew off. I put more cold weld, blew off after a couple range sessions. I'm not shooting 223, just 22.

1.) Should I throw soder in there? More cold weld? Wrap it with aluminum foil and seal it with duct tape? Is there a device out there I can just plug it in?
2.) Is it even necessary in the first place? I'm shooting fine, but I can't help but wonder if the tiny loss of gas affects ballistics.

THANK YOU [hmmm]
Can you install a gas block, turned sideways? Or slap a piece of bicycle tube over the hole, and hold it with a pipe clamp?

Generally, if you're shooting 22 out of a 223 barrel, the little bit of lost gas shouldn't really matter.

I could but that would add weight (and cost) to the setup.

And yes, I do mostly 50yds. But at 100yds, I need all the gas I can get!
What are you shooting?

A 22 pistol can shoot 100 yards. You're not losing more gas than that.

Tap the hole and insert a small screw. Use loctite to make sure it doesn't back out

I could but that would add weight (and cost) to the setup.

And yes, I do mostly 50yds. But at 100yds, I need all the gas I can get!
if you really like shooting it from an AR - i would say ditch that non-sense and get this upper:
it is cheap and shoots better than a CMMG one.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm gonna stop by home depot and see if I can get a small repair clamp. If not, I'll pickup some assorted set screws.
If we're honest - tapping it is kind of an awful solution. The gas port is (relatively) tiny, so you're either drilling it out or breaking a miniature tap in the barrel. Then there's the likelihood you leave a burr in the bore, which will cause way more harm to accuracy/precision than a little vented gas...

How much gas comes out of a 22 anyways?
I bet you can take the gas block off and put a 1/2" square piece of Flex Tape over the hole on the barrel.

edit - I'm not kidding. that stuff sticks to everything and doesn't come off.

Last edited:
I'd just buy a .22 upper or leave it as is. The adapter kits work fine (there's millions of them out there in use with no barrel alterations) and the bullet is already at very close to max velocity at the gas port.

Messing up a barrel and or front sight is still going to cost you money with marginal improvement if any.

the bullet is already at very close to max velocity at the gas port.
That's what I'm hoping for. I'll try some flex tape, elec tape, duct tape, before attempting a #2 or #3 set screw.

And honestly, this thread is so stupid. I'm 99% sure the open port doesn't make a difference with muzzle velocity.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'll try some flex tape, elec tape, duct tape, before attempting a #2 or #3 set screw.

And honestly, this thread is so stupid. I'm 99% sure the open port doesn't make a difference with muzzle velocity.
i would advice to keep a normal gas block in there, if it is there - if nothing is there - just leave it alone.
the only inconvenience i can think of is some gas hitting the handrail, really. as of it affecting accuracy - it is not really a factor.

I would spend $25 on a piece of brass tube with a .75" i.d., send it to a machine shop to cut off a .5" section and add a set screw, cost at the shop shouldn't be more than $100, bring upper to gunsmith and for another $50 they can install to block it off. or go on Ali express and pick up a a crappy gas block for cheap and install yourself

El cheapo gas block will work or if you want a more streamlined solution, go on mcmaster and get a piece of .75 I.D tube or bushing stock, cut off an appropriately sized piece with a hack saw or something, deburr it with some emery cloth, use a cheapo drill tap to tap it for an 8-32 or 10-32 set screw, install it over gas port and snug the set screw.

I don't think it make much difference.
I wouldn't go through trouble of drilling and tapping. I'd try a hose clamp first to see if that works

I don't think it make much difference.
I wouldn't go through trouble of drilling and tapping. I'd try a hose clamp first to see if that works
i vote for a chewing gum and some duct tape on top. a premium style exhaust pipe fix solution!

If I were worried about performance/accuracy/ballistics, etc., I wouldn’t be shooting 22lr out of a .223 AR barrel. Shooting 22lr in an AR barrel chambered for .223 is fun and convenient. But I would suggest you are overthinking things if you’re worried about the gas port being an issue in a system that is not optimized for performance or accuracy with that round. If it were me I would buy the cheapest gas block I could find and turn it so that the port is blocked. And if I was really interested in getting the most out of that round in an AR platform I would buy a dedicated upper/barrel in 22lr.

I'm very proud of the ghetto setup. I'm using an ATI plastic upper, a $60 barrel, a plastic handguard, a $6 pinty pro red dot, and aliexpress fill-in parts. She deserves duct tape at this point.

If its throwaway parts i guess its not a bad plinker. Better than smegging up a business gun. Imo unless someone like welds it closed any fixture is going to leak gas... gun is relatively poor you're investing juice in it that won't do much. Just shoot it. The best part about crap guns is you can never feel bad about it being shitty or something. Shoot it till the rifling becomes smoothbore.

Back
Top Bottom