• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SWISS ARMY KNIFE THREAD

Love mine they are in my bug out bag. Now I’m thinking they are too collectible. Ironic as my dealer sold them to me on the cheap. I mean less than wholesale to get rid of them.
If you still have the boxes keep them also. Values go up if you have the boxes. I would still put them away if they don’t make them anymore.

I recall as a kid, probably 7 or 8 years old, begging my parents for a Swiss Army knife for Xmas. They were kind of indoorsy, non-DIY types, so the thought of a kid with a knife was foreign to them and they are super resistant. But I begged and pleaded for the entire year and slowly wore them down. Come that Xmas morning, I got a Victorinox Tinker--the exact model I was eyeballing.

I was in 7th heaven. Couldn't believe I was holding it--the thing I begged for all year. The ultimate prize for this 7-8 year old kid. I unbox it, check out the tweezers, cut some paper with the scissors, then proceed to close the long blade on my thumb, causing an immediate and gushing flow of blood. That sh*t was super sharp from the factory. I run to the bathroom to hide it. They didn't see it happen. I'm freaking out, both because the blood wouldn't stop and because if they saw it, I my ownership of the knife would have been for about 10 minutes. Spent like 20 minutes in there trying to get it to stop.

Well...of course they found out, but to my surprise, my dad actually laughed it off. Thought it was kind of funny that I'd try to hide a stitches-worthy laceration instead of giving up my prize. He said if I cared that much, I could keep if as long as he gave me a safety thorough walk-thru first.

Anyway, that was one of the best Xmas presents I've ever received and a fond memory (in retrospect). I hate to admit that I lost is several years later. I should pick up another.

SAK_1_4603__S1.jpg

I recall as a kid, probably 7 or 8 years old, begging my parents for a Swiss Army knife for Xmas. They were kind of indoorsy, non-DIY types, so the thought of a kid with a knife was foreign to them and they are super resistant. But I begged and pleaded for the entire year and slowly wore them down. Come that Xmas morning, I got a Victorinox Tinker--the exact model I was eyeballing.

I was in 7th heaven. Couldn't believe I was holding it--the thing I begged for all year. The ultimate prize for this 7-8 year old kid. I unbox it, check out the tweezers, cut some paper with the scissors, then proceed to close the long blade on my thumb, causing an immediate and gushing flow of blood. That sh*t was super sharp from the factory. I run to the bathroom to hide it. They didn't see it happen. I'm freaking out, both because the blood wouldn't stop and because if they saw it, I my ownership of the knife would have been for about 10 minutes. Spent like 20 minutes in there trying to get it to stop.

Well...of course they found out, but to my surprise, my dad actually laughed it off. Thought it was kind of funny that I'd try to hide a stitches-worthy laceration instead of giving up my prize. He said if I cared that much, I could keep if as long as he gave me a safety thorough walk-thru first.

Anyway, that was one of the best Xmas presents I've ever received and a fond memory (in retrospect). I hate to admit that I lost is several years later. I should pick up another.

SAK_1_4603__S1.jpg
No interesting story attached, other than it was my dad's.

20201029_192856.jpg

Do SAK make any locking blade knives?

Yup. Cruise around the interwebs; they're readily available.

I got my first SAK, now long gone, from my grandparents on my 13th birthday. Family tradition. By the time I lost track of it, it was chipped and scarred and one of the blades was broken off.

I believe it was the "Huntsman" model, if that's a thing? This would have been 1988. I'm not a huge fan of SAKs, but they're definitely legendary.

Oooh. This one's nice, and locking. I might need to look into getting one of these. Once again, damn you @enbloc!!!!

1604027257281.png

Last edited:
Yup. Cruise around the interwebs; they're readily available.

I got my first SAK, now long gone, from my grandparents on my 13th birthday. Family tradition. By the time I lost track of it, it was chipped and scarred and one of the blades was broken off.

I believe it was the "Huntsman" model, if that's a thing? This would have been 1988. I'm not a huge fan of SAKs, but they're definitely legendary.

Oooh. This one's nice, and locking. I might need to look into getting one of these. Once again, damn you @enbloc!!!!

View attachment 405372
It really is an attractive knife.
Almost a "Fighting Folder"...
1604072033397.png

Last edited:

Way back when I was a kid - OK, in my late 30s, but still juvenile and fully capable of poor decision making - I ordered an ESEE Laser Strike. I was anxious to get it so rather than wait an extra day I met it at the post office in town and picked it up there. I got the box out to my car, opened it up, and started checking it out. The kydex sheath it came with had a little tensioning slider on it and as I was trying to figure it out I inadvertently jerked the knife out and sliced the hell out of my index finger. Despite being a really thick blade it was extremely sharp. When I pushed the cut closed it sort of sealed itself right up. When it opened up blood was just pouring out of it. I drank so much blood as I tried to drive back home so I could deal with it. My wife gave me so much shit, as expected, but there was no hiding it from her. Still have a nice scar years later.

Back
Top Bottom