SWISS ARMY KNIFE THREAD

Way back when I was a kid - OK, in my late 30s, but still juvenile and fully capable of poor decision making - I ordered an ESEE Laser Strike. I was anxious to get it so rather than wait an extra day I met it at the post office in town and picked it up there. I got the box out to my car, opened it up, and started checking it out. The kydex sheath it came with had a little tensioning slider on it and as I was trying to figure it out I inadvertently jerked the knife out and sliced the hell out of my index finger. Despite being a really thick blade it was extremely sharp. When I pushed the cut closed it sort of sealed itself right up. When it opened up blood was just pouring out of it. I drank so much blood as I tried to drive back home so I could deal with it. My wife gave me so much shit, as expected, but there was no hiding it from her. Still have a nice scar years later.

We both had a "you'll shoot your eye out kid" moment.

NICE!
Really want one of the Alox Hunter M with the pocket clip and thumb hole
985F1063-0ECF-4B67-B8C5-FD123FCB67B2.jpeg1FF94E34-ECBE-45CC-B783-2A6E31328DFD.jpeg

The Alox Pioneer X is a favorite of mine (this is the Damascus one from a few years ago.
22DCC4F2-90F4-4EFD-BDC4-8C3BA29FC220.jpeg

If you can find them on eBay, I also love the Cybertool 41 and the Yeoman...sadly out of production. Yeoman has everything you need and nothing you don’t for as few layers as possible. Put Ti scales on mine negating any potential weight savings vs a larger SAK.🤔
1604112722923.jpeg
9B489351-D762-4A74-A543-4F38C442C88B.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful!... and collectable AF.

Do an eBay search and see how well the Vic Damascus knives perform WRT ROI... (and in just 2 or 3 years.) Better than 9mm ammo... by a mile. [smile]
This is 100% true. If you like it, buy 2 and then sell one NIB in a few years and both will be paid for.

...sadly out of production.
Yeah, Victorinox's Limited Editions and Special Productions are usually very short runs and that alone drives up collector's interests and willingness to pay through the nose.

Swiss army knives really are the best place for an Entry-Level and Beginner Knife collector to start.
While Custom Handmade Knives from flawless and creative Artisans are the pinnacle of the Art, they come at a price.

SAKs are for us blue-collared stiffs who just want a taste of the Addiction... (think baseball cards) [rofl2]

Beautiful collectable knives, at easily afforded prices when in production and sharp value increases when out of production. This is what Investment Collecting is all about... [smile]
~Enbloc

Start Here!

$21 dollars with great potential!
Next Level!!!

Last edited:
There is actually a lot of new, limited stuff out that is clawing at my wallet despite my best efforts to save for ammo. At the risk of getting flagged for hyping a favored vendor, check it the new snow flake Alox, also the blacked out lines. A few of these are already sold out, sorry.
437D6036-F5CE-4D6F-8920-AAC198D35D61.jpeg6A5CCAC9-DC20-427C-923A-B96C63AF0E20.jpeg150BC0A1-CD38-4292-A47C-1AC171355800.jpegC7902956-040B-43C7-BD00-E8D940DB02EA.jpegDE6CB695-1E3D-45A8-A4F9-DAC73C5A4885.jpegE6BF5E95-9F04-4295-A329-4A7CFA9FE2E8.jpeg

I actually own the U.S. Combat Utility Knife with the blackout anodized blades. The color is astounding. Deep & rich...

One-hand thumb hole blade with liner-lock is excellent too!
I find that the serrations up front, and the plain edge near the axle, makes controled-carving fast and easy. This is far superior to the reverse set up...
1604196846487.png
1604196895984.png
Love the mini-saw too...

Last edited:
Look, @enbloc, if Victorinox is paying you a commission to get sales using NES, whyn'cha just come on out and say so?

Because I feel like buying all of a sudden.[smile]

Here's the way I see it. There are many things I can do and many more things I can't do. Blade-crafting isn't one of them... [rofl2]

So...

did spyderco lose the patent for the hole?

That's one of the main reasons I'm not into these one-hand SAK folders. I think that design is just nasty-looking, like Spyderco's.

To each their own; for those that like that look, I'm glad you do. But I'm not a fan.

That's one of the main reasons I'm not into these one-hand SAK folders. I think that design is just nasty-looking, like Spyderco's.

To each their own; for those that like that look, I'm glad you do. But I'm not a fan.

I have a Stretch-II in ZDP189 and carbon fiber. One of my prettiest knives IMO. Usually carry an Emerson tho.

1604271316036.png

Found this fun list someone made up about the ubiquitous "Corkscrew" so common on SAKs...

1. Opens corked bottles (duh!)
2. Untie knots.
3. Pry the battery out of a cell phone.
4. Screw it into a wall and hang your coat on the SAK.
5. Staple remover.
6. Smooth out the hole you just made with the reamer.
7. Clear clogged faucet sprayer.
8. Bicycle tire valve tool.
9. Holds the micro screwdriver.
10. Pick gravel out of tires.
11. Rip open a blister package.
12. Ice pick.
13. Mark a pilot hole.
14. Clean mud out of shoe soles.
15. Knot the end of a cord. Thread it through the corkscrew. Handle.
16. Pop balloons.
17. Aides in sewing.
18. Clean mud out of sprinkler heads.
19. Push used snare wire through it, to straighten out the wire and remove coils or kinks.
20. Pulls the drain plug out of a tub.
21. Open the corkscrew and screw it tightly into a broomstick-thickness stick. Now open the blade. Tie it securely. Survival spear for fishing.
22. Hang the SAK from a piece of cordage from the ceiling. Plumb bob (I have the middle of the handle marked on one mine).
23. Corkscrew + a metal lid = a filter or wire mesh for cooking.
24. Carry a chunk of C4.
25. Pull frozen shoestrings tight, or help loosen them.
26. Helps get the innards out of a squirrel.
27. Gets the candle stub out of a candle holder.
28. Start fights on multitool forums.
29. Remove the fuel filter from a lawn mower.
30. Although the new corkscrews are 4 turns, you can use them for range estimation.
31. O-ring remover for your flashlights.
32. Pry out partially-exposed nails.
33. Tighten the apron strings on a wrestling ring.
34. The inside diameter of the corkscrew is 1/4". I'm sure you know what you can do with this.
35. Open just a small hole in a coconut.
36. Lift stuck items out of boxes.
37. Fish the tape out of a clogged VHS tape.
38. Remove patches from a flintlock gun.
39. Remove the inside of a shotgun shell, making a blank. Remove the wad and powder too.
40. If you don't want the mini screwdriver, the corkscrew can hold a ferro rod.
41. Tap a tree for sap.
42. Undo zip ties without breaking them.

Author:
JNieporte
on multitool.org

O-oh. Fighting the urge....I need to tell myself to stick with Victorinox. I just got outbid on a green Pioneer. I won’t pay over 60 for it. I do like this Malga 6.

D3ECC0B1-14AC-4505-8533-6B97052B6DE4.png

If it only had a soup spoon... [rofl2]

Last edited:
So, I got my Champagne Gold Alox 2019 Limited Edition Pioneer today and the seller shipped it in a soft-mailer pouch. Stupid.
I can feel that the contents shifted during shipment. [rofl2]

I open it up and the knife was perfect. The Limited Edition box though was destroyed, and even the little clear plastic tray that supports the knife in the box... was shattered.

As many of you guys know; when collecting knives (or, anything really) the original packaging/accessories/card-stock are what sets the Collectable Item apart from one that has damaged/lost
those original items.

That said, I have a return/replace request email sent out,,, with a request to send replacement in a sturdy, cardboard box. I will request this on every future purchase I make...

Here is the seller's ID, if you ever go looking for Victorinox knives on eBay:

Seller information
belote (366931 )
99.3% Positive feedback

I have received 3 other Limited Edition Alox Pioneers from other vendors and they all shipped superbly in boxes with packing...
Only missing 2015 and 2017 now, at $489 and $550, currently & respectively. 💩

~Enbloc

So, I got my Champagne Gold Alox 2019 Limited Edition Pioneer today and the seller shipped it in a soft-mailer pouch. Stupid.
I can feel that the contents shifted during shipment. [rofl2]

I open it up and the knife was perfect. The Limited Edition box though was destroyed, and even the little clear plastic tray that supports the knife in the box... was shattered.

As many of you guys know; when collecting knives (or, anything really) the original packaging/accessories/card-stock are what sets the Collectable Item apart from one that has damaged/lost
those original items.

That said, I have a return/replace request email sent out,,, with a request to send replacement in a sturdy, cardboard box. I will request this on every future purchase I make...

Here is the seller's ID, if you ever go looking for Victorinox knives on eBay:

Seller information
belote (366931 )
99.3% Positive feedback

I have received 3 other Limited Edition Alox Pioneers from other vendors and they all shipped superbly in boxes with packing...
Only missing 2015 and 2017 now, at $489 and $550, currently & respectively. 💩

~Enbloc
That sucks that he shipped it in an envelope. I hope he replaces it. The boxes look as nice as the knives themselves.

Back
Top Bottom