• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SUV after being shot by 20 millimeter

stoneypete

NES Member
photo297.jpg

http://safetycenter.navy.mil/PHOTO/

Glad It’s a Rental
Seems a pair of soldiers were driving a rented SUV at a test and training range out west one night. Seems an F-16 pilot was getting some target practice at the time. Seems the SUV was in the target area. Seems the pilot was a good shot.

A local spokesman said the soldiers were not hit but suffered minor injuries "while exiting the vehicle in rough terrain." Personally, any minor injuries I suffered while bailing out of a vehicle and running away while being shot at with REALLY big bullets would be a welcome alternative.

The soldiers had been training to identify enemy targets and direct aircraft to fire on them. And to this, all we can say is, “Now you know what it feels like.”

Have you ever seen those little stick-on “bullet hole” decals you can get for your car? This is what the jumbo version would look like. I just wish we had a photo of the expression on the face of the car-rental employee when this one was towed back in.

Update: According to an Air Force news release, investigators determined that this mishap was due to pilot error. "The cause of the accident was the failure of the pilot to positively identify the intended target during the nighttime, close air support training sortie," the news release said. The F-16 pilot had been wearing night-vision goggles while firing the jet's 20 millimeter canon. He briefly lost sight of the target area as rolled and began the strafing run, then misidentified the SUV as the target, which was actually 1.5 miles away. The two soldiers in the SUV were part of a different training project on the range

Will anyone be bringing a 20 millimeter canon to the car shoot?

The only thing that comes to mind is Danny Vermin (Michael Keaton) from Johnny Dangerously...

"It's an 88 Magnum...It shoots through schools...."

Any one remember the early scene in the movie of Miami Vice where the undercover cops' car is shot up by a .50 cal?

[shocked]

20mm022standingatangle-FP.jpg

20mmwith50a-1.jpg

20mm next to 50 BMG

Lightweight version is 59 lbs. 'recommended' is 130 lbs.

bulletsizes.jpg

.223 - .338 lapua - .50 BMG - 20mm Vulcan

Rifle - $13,000
Ammo - $8 / round
Gin Factor - Priceless.

Singe shot available at only $9800

Last edited:
He briefly lost sight of the target area as rolled and began the strafing run, then misidentified the SUV as the target, which was actually 1.5 miles away. The two soldiers in the SUV were part of a different training project on the range

I know nothing about military live fire exercises but wouldn't there be a BIG buffer?

On Camp Pendleton when we would do patrols you could feel the ground shake from the A-10's doing their live fire on the other side of the hill. They were pretty close. We thought it was cool, but they weren't shooting up our trucks. [wink]

I work at an autobody shop. That's at least a $10,000 job.
what's funny is, to the government, that's chump change.

"Only $10K? HAHAHAAAA!!!!!!! I think I'll replace that pilot. He could have done at least $15K worth of damage!!!" <takes a bite of middle class America pie and wipes ass with a crisp benjamin>

On Camp Pendleton when we would do patrols you could feel the ground shake from the A-10's doing their live fire on the other side of the hill. They were pretty close. We thought it was cool, but they weren't shooting up our trucks. [wink]

And those are 30mm. These guys got an up close look of what it's like to have that monster make a strafing run a bit too close.
http://militaryvids.blogspot.com/2008/01/a10-close-call.html

Will pilot be classified as "unsuitable' now? Who has dies for those rounds....One eyed Jack?...

And those are 30mm. These guys got an up close look of what it's like to have that monster make a strafing run a bit too close.
http://militaryvids.blogspot.com/2008/01/a10-close-call.html

if that was a A-10 or a apache with the 30mm, no one in that suv would of survived it in my opinion. those rounds are some serious stuff.

for the guys that have heard the A10's before, i heard them when i was in Fort Leonardwood, MO. it sounds like nothing else in the world.

My brother was a cav scout his first couple years in, got to see first hand what the A-10 can do up close and personal.... he said he was about 500 yards away and that was still to close for comfort...

The only thing that comes to mind is Danny Vermin (Michael Keaton) from Johnny Dangerously...

"It's an 88 Magnum...It shoots through schools...."

You mean Joe Piscopo.

"You shouldn't hang me on a hook Johnny..." [rofl]

As for the guys driving the suv, I wonder how much their insurance premiums went up...

Back
Top Bottom