'Survivorman' fan dies in the wilderness

For Stephen Code, he has never watched Survivorman but said he doesn’t oppose such reality programming, as long as the shows couch their entertainment value in safety information.

But for Code, he also recognizes the potential dangers of such shows, perhaps now better than anyone.

“I think as laypeople, we’re always concerned about risky endeavours getting publicized on TV sets and society picking up these things and trying to execute them in the real world,” he said. “It’s disconcerting.”
Yes, so disconcerting. No doubt everything I see on TV is both possible and safe.

It remains unclear if Code has ever received formal wilderness training but relatives say much of his knowledge came from watching Survivorman.

Darwin claims another. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
128347587844687500fail.jpg

I guess the moron missed the Survivorman episode where his own safety team came up and made him evacuate because the area was about to become so impassible, that they'd all be stuck for several weeks. (not to mention the disclaimers at the beginning of every episode)

Wanton disregard for personal safety in the name of self entertainment, however, is not at all new. And I doubt this particular one is even novel enough to warrant a Darwin honorable mention.

Ellis said she met her tenant through church and Code moved into her Scarborough home about two years ago. The 86-year-old described Code as pleasant and mild-mannered, who made a living by helping her do errands around the house.

How much of a "living" can you make helping an 86 year old woman around her house? Jeez I wonder if the poor guy just walked into the woods to die on purpose?!

This guy was a moron. You don't voluntarily head into the wilderness with no food in the winter. Your body resists drawing from fat reserves for anything more than basic survival. If you are cold, one of the ways of combatting it is with food, high carb content food. Your body will burn anything it is given in the way of food without any hesitation.

I have hiked for weeks at a time in the wilderness with nothing more than a 200 ci pack in the summer with a change of clothes, a few emergency items and taken only 1K calories of food per day with me with a bladder of water. I would NEVER do that in the winter. In the winter I would carry a full set of warm clothes in addition to a down jacket and down pants and double the food I would need. High cal stuff like spam and peanuts as backup to the normal three dehydration meals a day. If you starve your body of cheap calories in the winter, you get cold very quickly and your body will never keep up with the calorie need in winter to do more than just survive in a sedentary state. If you are hiking, you will burn through every bit of energy hiking and your body will shut down, which is what it looks like his did.

Les Stroud spends a good portion of his shows telling you how much it sucks to be stuck out there. He is always talking about how much the cold or heat sucks, there are wild animals that could tear him apart at any moment, he is dehydrated, he has no energy because he has only eaten a handful of bugs in the past 24 hours, he can't sleep because it's freezing/raining/getting eaten by insects, etc.
Anyone who thinks that his show glorifies wilderness survival has a weird idea of a good time...

This guy was just a dumbass who went in the woods unprepared.

These days people seldom spend 24 hours away from central heating so they're undressed for anything but a walk from their car to the house.

Even 50 degrees can be mighty miserable, and I'm sure winter overnight temps there are pretty low, so he found this out.

He could always have taken the Ranger approach and did pushups to keep warm....

Who goes hiking with nothing in the winter? I go over prepared in the summer just to be sure. But no food! That is just asking for trouble in winter. You are going to be competing with animals who know how to find food for whatever is available. Guy was bound to die sooner or later playing the "survival game" for fun. Les Stroud has a emergency crew on standby, I guess this tard missed that memo.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I've done some winter hiking, mostly on Mt Monadnock. Even having done that mountain quite a few times, and it only being a day hike, I always bring more than enough warm clothing, shelter materials, several days worth of FOOD, firestarter, etc. I'm never more than a few hours away from where the car is parked, but I still go prepared.

This kid is like those guys that get stranded occasionally, wearing loafers and jeans, who think they'll be okay because they're carrying their cell phones.

Natural selection, working beautifully.

There was a person named Chris McCandless who did a similar thing. There is a book called "Into the Wild" written about him, and it was made into a movie.

Talk about a study in contrasts: compare the Survivorman fan and McCandless to Richard Proenneke, who survived the the Alaskan wilderness for decades. Here is a clip from a movie that he and a friend made about this experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Very different approaches and sets of values represented among these people...

“TV abstracts the real ugliness of survival,” said Ferri, who runs a school called Survival in the Bush and trained Stroud back in the day. “They make the wilderness look like it’s a romantic place. Well, it’s romantic, as long as you have all your gear and you’re camping and enjoying it. In a survival situation, it’s a nightmare.”

This guy said it best.

Back
Top Bottom