Survival Tuesday: You have 10 minutes

If it was really TEOTWAKI (eg, this was somehow knowable, like a MIRV was heading for the greater Boston area) I would run back to my car, or barring that, the corner store and buy myself the best cigar that they had. I would buy some craft brew or wine from that store too. I'd bring that stogie back into my office and light it up, (We're not supposed to smoke in the building, but if the world is really going to end, if anyone gives me shit about it I will blow smoke in their face. ) and pour the remainder of the Glenlivet 12 into a coffee mug that I have. Then I would go up to the roof to watch the fireworks. (from where I work, you can see most of Boston and Cambridge).

-Mike

If there are missiles zooming overhead, mushroom clouds in the distance, zombie hordes ripping everyone to shreds.... find the nearest girl willing to go out "with a bang" and knock boots until the the end (or if it was a false alarm, sheepishly thank her for her cooperation and get her number).

If there's a "chance", collect loved ones and supplies and head for safer ground. My present town stands no chance after SHTF.

...I call my kids, give them the combo to the gun safe...

It's locked??

Finally tell my boss what I think about him.

Are you armed at the time?

Get to my truck, put on my chest rig, load my carbine, and tug one out to who awesome I am.

Is that the best sequence of tasks?

Load every firearm we have.

They're not loaded now??

Yeah...I don't understand you guys out east.

(By the way, no one mentioned dogs.)

If I'm at work, just the bottle of scotch in the bottom drawer of my file cabinet. I might smash the glass on the vending machine and grab the Reese's also.

At work? I'm eff'd. I have about 4,000 calories in my desk.. i'd raid the fridges on the way out in one of the bags I keep on hand. Only defense is a pocket S+W Swat Knife since its Mass... I have 5 books of matches, and can also raid the first aid cab. Inclement weather, I'll also grab some lab coats and trash bags (cutting and taping with office supplies if necessary for added layers). Nitrile gloves and tape as improptu water proofing for my shoes and as a water proof sack for the matches. I'd take the vehicle as far as I could get to home (which from Cambridge to NH probably aint far.) I'd likely hoof it to Revere for extra supplies stashed at a relatives for such purposes, and an old bicylce. I'd basically rely on hope that I could hoof it home if the roads were jammed. I assume two-three days on foot camping in the dirt. Wife knows to rally at her parents which is on the way. We have a 3rd 4x4 vehicle at home with our storage and should have an easy time being mobile from here.

A get-home bag has been on the to-do list for awhile, thanks thread.

Last edited:
NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Massachusetts and we are warned against self help............ I would cross my fingers and "HOPE"............. Maybe I would be lucky and the democrats THAT CONTROL THIS NANNY STATE would pass a law against TEOTWAWNI and all would be OK.

They're not loaded now??

Yeah...I don't understand you guys out east.

(By the way, no one mentioned dogs.)

Most of them are.

Were joking. The Emergency Alert System failed on 09/11. What makes you think everything will work the next time?

I mentioned dogs. And Dad would also be alerting, and letting me know where, if someone came on the property.

Well, if it's really TEOTWAWKI:

Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom.

So, that's covered. [grin]

In all seriousness, a more-specific scenario is needed. MIRVs....we're toast. Strong earthquake, that's different. That's a scenario that's discussable.

If we're going to explore possibilities, here's a few "credible" ones: Strong quake; shipping container dirty bomb in boston; sudden outbreak of something really nasty (natural or mad-scientist source); complete failure of water supply for Boston Metro; EMP of unknown origin, taking out electric system (Sunspots? North Koreans? Who knows?); Seabrook and / or Plymouth go Fukushima; tsunami hits eastern coast; decent-sized meteor strike.

Each of the above would have several levels of hurt, depending on where you're loacated - if a tsunami hits Boston, and you work in Charlestown, that's bad.....if you're in Wormtown, that's less critical.

Just my .02

well since you started this yesterday at 1pm I will go back in time a bit to yesterday. I work in a cubical about 45 min from home 35 in this type of scenario. I would head home gather the family and gather all our supplies and see what happens.

An announcement has just been made in whatever building you are in. You have 10 minutes to take whatever you can carry, and vacate the premises.

[bs2]

Just who do you think would be making this "announcement"? The gov't? [rofl]

The gov't just got back to me with a "proceed" on a NICS check that was called in over 6 weeks ago!!!

Shhhhh........, don't tell the guy who started the thread 'cuz he got 'delayed'.

[bs2]

Just who do you think would be making this "announcement"? The gov't? [rofl]

The gov't just got back to me with a "proceed" on a NICS check that was called in over 6 weeks ago!!!

Shhhhh........, don't tell the guy who started the thread 'cuz he got 'delayed'.

And it's not like any private companies are actually organized enough to pull that off either.

I've never been delayed on a nics check......what are you talking about adam?

Your lucky. I never was either but people are. There is a thread in the General section asking how long/what's wrong/ what if, etc...........

The responses the dealer can get from NICS are: for further review, proceed, denied, cancelled or delayed. 'Further review' usually is moved to 'proceed' after a more in depth look by another examiner. 'Delayed' can be for up to 7 days for various reasons. Say if the transferee's SSN is one number off from a bad guy or has relative who has a criminal history. If the dealer does not hear back from a NICS Examiner in the 7 days then they may transfer the firearm providing no state law prohibits them from doing so.

And it's not like any private companies are actually organized enough to pull that off either.

Yep. Remember 9/11 and the ensuing alerts via the EBS? Me niether. If there is a SHTF, TEOTWAWKI type of thing, people are going to FREAK OUT unless they have had experience in high stress problem solving environments/jobs.

Your lucky. I never was either but people are. There is a thread in the General section asking how long/what's wrong/ what if, etc...........

The responses the dealer can get from NICS are: for further review, proceed, denied, cancelled or delayed. 'Further review' usually is moved to 'proceed' after a more in depth look by another examiner. 'Delayed' can be for up to 7 days for various reasons. Say if the transferee's SSN is one number off from a bad guy or has relative who has a criminal history. If the dealer does not hear back from a NICS Examiner in the 7 days then they may transfer the firearm providing no state law prohibits them from doing so.

It's 7 days? Did they just change that? It used to be 3, as far as I knew. Then some dealers opt at that point (after the 3 days) to release the gun to the buyer, or they wait until they hear back from the NICS people.. I know most gun shops would do the 3 day fail-open-bypass (which is legal) box stores, however, like Dicks, etc, will not release unless they get a callback.

-Mike

It's 7 days? Did they just change that? It used to be 3, as far as I knew. Then some dealers opt at that point (after the 3 days) to release the gun to the buyer, or they wait until they hear back from the NICS people.. I know most gun shops would do the 3 day fail-open-bypass (which is legal) box stores, however, like Dicks, etc, will not release unless they get a callback.

-Mike

Can be either 3 or 7. I've had both even though the form states a response to a 'delay' will be within 3 days. There is a spot on the 4473 for ALL the 'response' and 'delayed' info, Question 21a - 25 a total of up to ten questions.

Last edited:
Most of them are.

Were joking. The Emergency Alert System failed on 09/11. What makes you think everything will work the next time?

I mentioned dogs. And Dad would also be alerting, and letting me know where, if someone came on the property.

The Emergency Alert System may not have worked, but the CCAS (Cartoon Channel Alert System) was working. When even THEY switch to 7x24 news, it's big. (the boy was a sprout, then)

I'll just finish reading my book

Bush-reading-My-Pet-Goat.jpg

but seriously, good exercise, I don't post about work though. It does beg the question: when is it go time?!?!

Last edited:
So when the shit hits the fan and the world ends ,as we know it happens..Just what makes us think ,people will continue to program and maintain the cell phone and GPS grid and not BUG out to thrir homes.

Shit. Just realized it's Friday. 3 days after Survival Tuesday / TEOTWAWKI ( or whatever that acronym is).

Guess those two fat bodies huffing and puffing up the driveway with smartwool socks and twisty-lever rechargeable flashlight battery radios that I zapped were actually good guys. My bad.

Like I said earlier... takes about three days for news to get up here.

They tasted pretty good with a garlic salt rub after being on the smoker if that means anything.

I prefer garlic powder and onion powder. Salt to taste.

How long did you smoke them for?

Back
Top Bottom