Survival kits at Home Depot: We're not crazy anymore

I was at Home Depot today and saw this survivalkitHD.jpg prominently displayed at the entrance to the store along with pumps, wetvacs, and other such things.

You'd think we've never had a hurricane before.

Might have to check those out at Home Depot. The emergency food and water in my BOB is about to expire and need some new stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

The home depot one person kit:
Emergency Kit Contains: 1 2400 calorie food bar (5-year shelf life), 6 Water pouches (5-year shelf life), 1 Survival blanket, 1 Emergency poncho, 1 Pair of nitrile gloves, 1 First Aid Kit (33 piece), 1 12-hour safety lightstick, 1 Emergency whistle, 1 Pack of pocket tissues, 1 Dust mask, 1 Convenient carry case.

No compass and no knife? even a cheap-o Chinese-Swiss army? No fire starting ability? But a packet of tissues, yes that is truly important (tinder...maybe)

If you have to go to Home Despot for survival equipment.....well.....like they say on FailBlog, "You're doing it wrong."

My 5th grader made a better BoB for his science class.

I'm surprised that there wasn't a Credit Card reader in the HD kit, so you could order plywood and roofing tar for after the clean-up.

Emergency Kit Contains: 1 2400 calorie food bar (5-year shelf life), 6 Water pouches (5-year shelf life), 1 Survival blanket, 1 Emergency poncho, 1 Pair of nitrile gloves, 1 First Aid Kit (33 piece), 1 12-hour safety lightstick, 1 Emergency whistle, 1 Pack of pocket tissues, 1 Dust mask, 1 Convenient carry case.

No compass and no knife? even a cheap-o Chinese-Swiss army? No fire starting ability? But a packet of tissues, yes that is truly important (tinder...maybe)

Also... one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. [smile]

Yeah this is definitely going mainstream. I just recently noticed this:http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?cat=75277&eCat=BC|3605|75277&lang=en-US&whse=BC

yeh, i'll be grilling up my wife's cats before i eat broccoli.....

Also... one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. [smile]

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff...

Last edited:
I didn't know Home depot was a FFL... that emergency kit must have a firearm and ammo right... that is rule one in any bug out bag.....

haaaaaaaaaa there it is in bright color "SURVIVAL KIT" survive what? the damn kids soccer game on saturday lol...

Much better to make your own... it is not difficult and can be tailored to your own needs. Maybe this one is oriented towards being stranded, and you need to hold out for a couple of days until found by rescuers. Hence the whistle to make noise to rescuers and the blanket to try to stay warm until found (I'd prefer a way to start a fire, and a saw to cut branches for a shelter). Perhaps stranded by car off the road and out of sight (and stuck down there?) I can't imagine anyone carrying this while hiking, or finding it to be of use for survival in their own home. I don't see too many uses in the real world for this specific collection of stuff, except maybe the beginnings of a car bag for when something happens when driving far from home.

So, I'll critique its contents.

1 2400 calorie food bar (5-year shelf life): Is this one of those life boat rations that's like a giant block of chalk? Bleah! I've tried those, could not bite into it without breaking teeth off. I'd prefer nuts and cliff bars that I rotate through... I'm often finding I am in the car and hungry so they would rotate.

6 Water pouches (5-year shelf life): I never understood these. Why not a water container that you fill up? I never drive without at least two of those stainless steel bottles with me (I don't like the plastic taste plus I could use them to heat water if I had to, although it'd burn the green paint off them).

1 Survival blanket: Fine I guess. I have a couple of these. I'd prefer the knowledge to make a shelter and a little saw blade on a knife or maybe one of those hand chain saw thingies (forget what they are called... looks like a chain saw's chain with a handle on either end). But I wouldn't mind the blanket once I'm in the shelter.

1 Emergency poncho: That's good, nothing like being caught in heavy rain and getting soaked to the bone to make yourself sick and unable to function.

1 Pair of nitrile gloves: Sure why not, although I'm not sure what they are expecting someone would do with it. I keep leather work gloves, and winter gloves, in my car kit.

1 First Aid Kit (33 piece): It is probably mostly band aids and other items that add up to retail value of $1. Make a better kit.

1 12-hour safety lightstick: Light sticks are an interesting novelty, but I would much rather have a flashlight. Who doesn't keep a flashlight in their car anyway?

1 Emergency whistle: For what? If I was with my car, I'd honk the horn. I don't see a likely scenario where someone would 1) have their kit with them, and 2) need to make noise with a whistle when another source (like voice or horn) would do.

1 Pack of pocket tissues: Well they always come in handy. There's been more than one occasion where I have to make an emergency deposit in the woods, and I always bring tissue packs for that.

1 Dust mask: Are they expecting someone to be trapped under a collapsed building or something? If so, I hope they are standing next to the kit when the collapse happens.

1 Convenient carry case: Where/how is someone carrying this? In car?

Hmmm... $40 for a pack I could put together in a few minutes for about $15. With a $40 budget anyone could put together a much better kit. But I have to admit that's one snazzy bright-orange zip-up bag.

Having a good whistle is important and could save your life. I have one on my ice fishing suite, on the hunting jacket, in the 4x4, in the DD and of course as required on the SCUBA BC. There are a number of reasons for whistle, but the main three – 1) a sound from a good whistle can be heard much further than voice. In some cases 10+ further. Get a good whistle and do some tests yelling vs. whistle – you’d be amazed at the range difference. 2) Human vocal cords are very weak and not design for prolong yelling. Most people begin to lose their voice within minutes. In many cases after 5 minutes of screaming the voice is lost and is not auditable 50ft away, yet whistle can be blown for hours with no ill effect. 3) The amount of energy/effort required to whistle is far lower than yelling. This can be critical if you were stranded for a few days under some debris or broke trough ice and hypothermia was setting in. Do not underestimate a value of a quality whistle in an emergency situation. [wink]

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.[smile]

ETA: Dam you inerlogic![laugh]

The reason this sounds so insane is because Home Depot is assembling a kit from stuff that stock on their shelves (e.g. nitrile golves & dust mask... from the paint department, carry case (probably a tool box) from the hand tool department . This is a clever way to package their stuff and get you to buy it. I'd be more impressed if they put stuff in there that they typically don't stock.

Having a good whistle is important and could save your life. I have one on my ice fishing suite, on the hunting jacket, in the 4x4, in the DD and of course as required on the SCUBA BC. There are a number of reasons for whistle, but the main three – 1) a sound from a good whistle can be heard much further than voice. In some cases 10+ further. Get a good whistle and do some tests yelling vs. whistle – you’d be amazed at the range difference. 2) Human vocal cords are very weak and not design for prolong yelling. Most people begin to lose their voice within minutes. In many cases after 5 minutes of screaming the voice is lost and is not auditable 50ft away, yet whistle can be blown for hours with no ill effect. 3) The amount of energy/effort required to whistle is far lower than yelling. This can be critical if you were stranded for a few days under some debris or broke trough ice and hypothermia was setting in. Do not underestimate a value of a quality whistle in an emergency situation. [wink]

How about one of those air horns then.... the horn on top of the small can of compressed air? That makes a hell of a racket (more so than a stupid whistle). How about a kazoo or one of those slide whistles so you can play a little tune or amuse yourself while you are bleeding out... LOL

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.[smile]

ETA: Dam you inerlogic![laugh]

I think this list is from a WWI survival book. Probably about as useful. However, you forgot very important items such as: bar of chocolate and vodka to bribe the checkpoint guards; some sour bratten to get favors from Sgt. Schultz; a portable radio to get coded instructions from the French resistance; a cyanide pill in case you get caught; a pair of wire cutters to cut through the security fences (i.e. wire); some high tensile wire so you can hang down from the roof like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible.... I'm probably forgetting a few critical items, but have probably covered the main ones... [rofl]

Yes, a whistle can be useful, but not for however they are expecting people to use this kit. If you're venturing out into the wilderness, remove whistle from this kit and bring with you in the real backpack. But, this kit as-is I don't see anyone actually putting on their back and heading out into that wilderness. Anyone on such a venture is going to have more serious equipment with them. The kit, however, is probably only going to be in house or vehicle.

Besides, if they actually think anyone will be in a situation where they'll somehow have this kit with them, and need to be found, a signal mirror should have also been included.

No, air horn not a great idea... they have a limited number of blows, and you have no idea when and how far away search teams are going to be, so you can't just be pressing the button all day until it runs out. A whistle don't run out.

RE: Prepper
I agree on all points. Those bags are only designed for impulse buying. They will spend their life collecting dust and mold in basements and attics. That however does not diminish the value of a quality whistle. If you are into outdoors activities or traveling through remote areas – having one on you is simply a good idea. Yes mirror and number of other things could be useful, but my point was that whistle should not be dismissed because it’s a very useful tool.

RE: Bob-Sig226
Blow horn is very heavy and, as Prepper already said, has limited life. I take it you do not get out much or you would appreciate the difference between carrying 15oz and 0.5oz. Moreover, a good whistle is louder than some blow horns and equally load as most others. I have no idea why you’d be “bleeding out” or what that has to do with this discussion. In a prolong survival situation entertainment can be vital to maintaining spirits and the will to live. So if playing a kazoo makes you happy – having one around might not be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom