surplus military pistols

not sure if this is the right place to post this quandry...but i'm a collector of milsurp rifles...and being in MA with our crazy gun laws...i was wondering if i could start collecting milsurp pistols now that i have my LTC...are they legal to own because they're c&r eligible or has the AG dubbed them evil??? just wondering cuz i'd like to buy a polish makarov for $189 rather than a new walther ppk for $459

blood hound said:
not sure if this is the right place to post this quandry...but i'm a collector of milsurp rifles...and being in MA with our crazy gun laws...i was wondering if i could start collecting milsurp pistols now that i have my LTC...are they legal to own because they're c&r eligible or has the AG dubbed them evil??? just wondering cuz i'd like to buy a polish makarov for $189 rather than a new walther ppk for $459

I'm new to all this, but I believe to utilize your LTC, the firearm must be on the Ma approved firearms list and the AG's list. If you have a C&R FFL, and the firearm is on the BATF C&R list, then your C&R trumps the LTC. Beyond that, I'm confused as to wether you need an LTC to carry your C&R to the range to shoot it, if you have to carry it locked in transport, etc.

I didn't fully read the post before I moved it (slaps hand), however, if you have an LTC (A or B) as well as a C&R then you can buy milsurp pistols and take them to the range given they're on the C&R list. The C&R allows you to purchase them - the AG has nothing to say about it.

If you purchase those Milsurp handguns from a dealer/distributer somewhere out of state, then the EOPS and the AG's "safety" regs are absolutely meaningless. As has been posted at least a couple of billion times, those bits of crap only apply to the firearms that can be sold by Massachusetts licensed dealers, not to anyone else. Of course, if you're trying to purchase a handgun from one of these dealers (as any LTC holder who didn't have a C&R would need to do) then you're almost certainly SOL.

Also note that in order to use your C&R license, the firearm needs only to be on the list or at least 50 years old, not both. Thus most Milsurps do not need to be on the C&R list.

Ken

This is half my reason for getting a C&R!!!

I love the thought of legally bringing those guns in and Rielly not being able to do anything about it!![devil2]

so then i could say buy a cz -52 from gunbroker as long as its 50 years old or older??? because i'd like to stretch my collection to handguns, but somebody at a gunshop told me i couldnt have them shipped to mass cuz theyre not on the list...and i dont have a c&r...guess i should look into one

blood hound said:
so then i could say buy a cz -52 from gunbroker as long as its 50 years old or older??? because i'd like to stretch my collection to handguns, but somebody at a gunshop told me i couldnt have them shipped to mass cuz theyre not on the list...and i dont have a c&r...guess i should look into one

You can buy one if it's > 50 years, OR on the C&R list. It does NOT need to be on the "Mother, may I?" list, or have the freeking AG's "thank you sire, you're too good to me." stamp of approval. Now, that being said, some dealers/brokers/ffl's etc. might not be comfie shippiing to MA. That's not because they can't, they just don't want to P off the AG. Now, if you find a dealer that's willing to ship to you, DO NOT list their name on the forum. We want to protect those who do by not mentioning them specifically. [smile] Sad, isn't it?

The MA dealer is partially correct.

NO MA Dealer can sell a C&R handgun to a MA C&R holder, as they are not on the List or AG compliant.

You can legally have an out-of-state source ship you a C&R handgun DIRECTLY to you if you possess a C&R FFL. This bypasses all the BS and you just file an FA-10 as "registration" upon receipt.

As for carrying or bringing to a range or possessing it, you still need a MA LTC of proper class for the gun. Totally separate issue.

Do a search of the Gun Laws forum for lots of info on this topic.

It was specifically this reason (and Chief Ron Glidden's prodding) that motivated me to get my C&R FFL back in 1999.

ok well thanx for the info guys...i thought that getting these pistols was gonna be a lost cause unless i moved out of state...i guess i need to get my butt in gear and get a C&R now...and after that maybe a 4th job to pay for my addiction

My understanding is that a c&r licensee can buy a c&r eligible handgun from a Ma. dealer, If you don't have a license and want to buy a c&r handgun then you're SOL.

LenS said:
The MA dealer is partially correct.

NO MA Dealer can sell a C&R handgun to a MA C&R holder, as they are not on the List or AG compliant.

You can legally have an out-of-state source ship you a C&R handgun DIRECTLY to you if you possess a C&R FFL. This bypasses all the BS and you just file an FA-10 as "registration" upon receipt.

I've been thinking about getting a Nagant revolver but was going to hold out for seeing one at a gun show so I could check quality. According to info posted, buying one from a MA gun show dealer is a no no. Could be why you don't see them and CZ52s at gun shows that often.
Now heres where it gets tricky... If a NY, or NH dealer had Nagant revolvers for sale, does this mean that since he is an out of state dealer that handgun can be sold to a Mass C&R holder?
What about all the Lugers you see for sale at gun shows?

I'm unplugging the PC, packing up my guns and gear and driving to NH to live.[thinking]

If you have a C&R license then you can buy a Nagant revolver from a Ma. dealer or at a gunshow from a Ma. dealer. Provided that the dealer will honor a c&r license, some do, some don't. All that is required is to provide a copy of your lic. to the dealer and you file an FA-10 form.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
If a NY, or NH dealer had Nagant revolvers for sale, does this mean that since he is an out of state dealer that handgun can be sold to a Mass C&R holder?

I'm unplugging the PC, packing up my guns and gear and driving to NH to live.[thinking]

Here's your answer. You may purchase the gun from him. He can transfer to you there, IIRC (I know rifles are OK). If you were NOT a C&R, he would have to do his transfer through a Mass FFL (type 03), even if it was a rifle. An FFL (type 03) is only allowed to sell in his home state. The "get around" is the fact that he can transfer to a Mass FFL (type 03) (assuming we're in Mass) and that FFL (type 03) can make the sale. A C&R has the SAME restrictions as an FFL (type 03).

Confused yet?

(type 03) annotates a type 03 FFL, regular gun dealer.

wherewolf,

Although I am not 100% on this, I do believe that Ch. 180 made it "Illegal for the dealer" to sell the C&R to ANYONE in MA. It's not illegal for you to buy it from him, the risk is all his.

I'll let legal counsel clarify (or obfuscate [wink] ) this situation.

Yes, a C&R FFL holder can buy a C&R gun from any out-of-state dealer at the gun shows. Perfectly legal transaction on both sides.

02FFL is Pawnbroker.
NEVER to be seen in the Borg Collective of Massachusetts.
I think there's like 9-10 classes of FFL's.

FYI..

Type 01 - DEALER IN FIREARMS
Type 02 - PAWNBROKER
Type 03 - COLLECTOR OF CURIOS AND RELICS

Type 06 - MANUFACTURER OF AMMUNITION FOR FIREARMS
Type 07 - MANUFACTURER OF FIREARMS
Type 08 - IMPORTER OF FIREARMS / AMMUNITION

Type 09 - DEALER IN DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES
Type 10 - MANUFACTURER OF DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES
Type 11 - IMPORTER OF DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES

Back
Top Bottom