• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

will you feel the same way when the pendulum swings liberal in the SCOTUS and they just come out as say abortion is a right and legal in all states, and 2a only applies to the National Guard (the militia). And that's the law.

As much as I want unjust laws struck down, I also realize we need a system that protects what I see as correct when others do not agree.

Please explain how allowing SCOTUS to strike down laws (not constitutional amendments) could ever do what you are saying. You are talking nonsense.

Please explain how allowing SCOTUS to strike down laws (not constitutional amendments) could ever do what you are saying. You are talking nonsense.
Abortion was a right for a long time then it wasn't, you'd have to be delusional to think it couldn't go back. All it takes is a SCOTUS decision that the previous decision was wrong.
Different SCOTUS could easily have a different interpretation of the second amendment and act in accordance with their beliefs.
You give them absolute power and it's just a matter of when not if. We are dealing with opinions not physical objects.

No matter what you think, the second amendment is just words on paper. It's the people that give it power, give absolute power over those words to a small group and what it means is what they say it means, not what you or I want it to mean.

Abortion was a right for a long time then it wasn't, you'd have to be delusional to think it couldn't go back. All it takes is a SCOTUS decision that the previous decision was wrong.
Different SCOTUS could easily have a different interpretation of the second amendment and act in accordance with their beliefs.
You give them absolute power and it's just a matter of when not if. We are dealing with opinions not physical objects.

No matter what you think, the second amendment is just words on paper. It's the people that give it power, give absolute power over those words to a small group and what it means is what they say it means, not what you or I want it to mean.

Again the power I proposed is only to veto laws unilaterally. Please explain how the power to veto a law from congress has anything to to do with a constitutional amendment.

Again the power I proposed is only to veto laws unilaterally. Please explain how the power to veto a law from congress has anything to to do with a constitutional amendment.

But most gun-control laws (the most onerous ones, such as the one Bruen overturned) are state laws, not federal ones. You're now saying the US Supreme Court should have original jurisdiction over state laws?

How is that constitutional?

they veto laws banning abortion
they veto PLCAA

But most gun-control laws (the most onerous ones, such as the one Bruen overturned) are state laws, not federal ones. You're now saying the US Supreme Court should have original jurisdiction over state laws?

Is this a serious question? Yes. States should not be allowed to violate the constitution.

Are you trying to say Bruen shouldn't have been decided in favor of gun owners?

SCOTUS need not take up anything unilaterally - any law egregious enough that they would take it up without prompt is one that would have a group petitioning the moment it was signed.

No one is saying get rid of lower courts. I proposed adding a tool, not removing the current ones.

It's an unnecessary tool. As three or four of us have pointed out, there is already a mechanism that does what you want... WITHOUT an unelected government employee exercising his sole will.

And also, it's not in the constitution. Which doesn't say much about SCOTUS, but it does list specific times when it has original jurisdiction. And your "proposal" is not included in there.

"The Judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority, to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls; to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction; to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party; to Controversies between two or more States; between a State and Citizens of another State; between Citizens of different States; between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects." (Article III, Section I, United States Constitution)

So. Your proposal is unconstitutional.

The same guy who boned us with Obamacare.
and he sided with the Libs on the abortion case.

Oh, and he also was the one who leaked the draft for that same case. Know how I know? They said they couldn't determine who it was and Roberts wasn't going to come out of the closet and admit he did it. If it was simply a clerk he'd have thrown them out, unless it was a Black clerk and we know how afraid Roberts is to be called racist.

and he sided with the Libs on the abortion case.

Oh, and he also was the one who leaked the draft for that same case. Know how I know? They said they couldn't determine who it was and Roberts wasn't going to come out of the closet and admit he did it. If it was simply a clerk he'd have thrown them out, unless it was a Black clerk and we know how afraid Roberts is to be called racist.
I think he's more afraid of his adventures on pedo island being brought out in public.
He's compromised.

It's an unnecessary tool. As three or four of us have pointed out, there is already a mechanism that does what you want... WITHOUT an unelected government employee exercising his sole will.

And also, it's not in the constitution. Which doesn't say much about SCOTUS, but it does list specific times when it has original jurisdiction. And your "proposal" is not included in there.

"The Judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority, to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls; to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction; to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party; to Controversies between two or more States; between a State and Citizens of another State; between Citizens of different States; between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects." (Article III, Section I, United States Constitution)

So. Your proposal is unconstitutional.

I clearly said I was proposing alterations to the constitution.

Abortion was NOT a right and was erroneously decided by SCOTUS, even Ginsberg agreed. SCOTUS doesn't MAKE laws, the legislature does.
2A is a right because it's in the Bill of Rights which we all know.

Abortion was NOT a right and was erroneously decided by SCOTUS, even Ginsberg agreed. SCOTUS doesn't MAKE laws, the legislature does.
2A is a right because it's in the Bill of Rights which we all know.
you should read the whole discussion, which was never about abortion or 2a, because you prove the point very well.

Opinions of SCOTUS on what is and isn't a right change, and while they may fit the views now, that can and has changed. This is why we don't give even SCOTUS the unlimited power to just pick a law and throw it out. The court process is the buffer that stops SCOTUS from becoming the tyrannical leaders of a subjugated country.

I'll bite.

Someone files a case; SCOTUS grants cert; then a "new interpretation" is issued. The 2A is like abortion - two different people can read the text and confidently declare it supports their personal preference for public policy. Currently, it only takes 5 of 9 with a preferred public policy to make it so. It is an unthinkable to us that that 2A confirms the right of a governmental subdivision to arm itself, but equally unthinkable to out opponents on the issue to believe that the 2A confers an individual right. Even former Justice Stevens sincerely believed that the 2A did not confer an individual right.

Do not underestimate the sincerity of the beliefs of our opponents. The "know with certainty" that they are right, just as we know that we are.

I'll bite.

Someone files a case; SCOTUS grants cert; then a "new interpretation" is issued. The 2A is like abortion - two different people can read the text and confidently declare it supports their personal preference for public policy. Currently, it only takes 5 of 9 with a preferred public policy to make it so. It is an unthinkable to us that that 2A confirms the right of a governmental subdivision to arm itself, but equally unthinkable to out opponents on the issue to believe that the 2A confers an individual right. Even former Justice Stevens sincerely believed that the 2A did not confer an individual right.

Do not underestimate the sincerity of the beliefs of our opponents. The "know with certainty" that they are right, just as we know that we are.

What you wrote here has zero application to what I proposed.

CA using Jim Crow laws as evidence of historical traditions in gun restrictions. Waiting for the outrage from Civil Rights activists…

“In December, Judge Benitez, a President George W. Bush appointee considering legal challenges to several state restrictions, ordered California to draw up a list of any “relevantly similar” historical laws. In the ammunition background-check case, the state listed more than 100 laws from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. More than three-quarters of them explicitly targeted slaves, free Blacks, Native Americans and Catholics.

“I was kind of in shock when they first sent us the spreadsheets,” said Konstadinos Moros, a lawyer with Michel and Associates PC, which represents the California Rifle and Pistol Association, a plaintiff in several lawsuits against the state. “We found these racist laws they were citing that were clearly not relevant to the case.”

Lawyers for California disagree, saying their survey of statutes buttresses their assertion that the state’s background-check law is “rooted in the historical tradition—dating back to the founding—of disarming groups of people perceived to be dangerous or unvirtuous.”

Please give an example where allowing a law (not a constitutional limitation which the judges would not be allowed to remove) is more beneficial than just having no law at all.
I dont think you understand what I posted.
"Cap'n Mike said:
It seems most of the abuse in the judicial branch isnt striking down laws, its upholding them."

There are too many un constitutional laws that the Judicial branch has upheld when they should have been struck down.

CA's legislature wants people that have moved out of state to keep paying CA taxes for several years. That's indentured servitude without being convicted of a crime.

They're just following the IRS' example, sadly. The US Government expects the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom