Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

one thing at a time; lets first concentrate on suitability and restrictions, since MA already said nothing will change.

NFA, machine guns, tax stamps, magazines, silencers, AWB, you guys really reach for the stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to complain Ruth baker Ginsberg was on the court for so long. I was wrong.

She was never on a liberal court her entire tenure. At most there were 4 liberal and the swing Kennedy. She wanted to be on a liberal majority court so badly to really invent laws and push a liberal agenda, she stayed But she her choice we may not have had SCOTUS take up this case even with the 5 others in the majority beyond Barrett.

I used to complain Ruth baker Ginsberg was on the court for so long. I was wrong.

She was never on a liberal court her entire tenure. At most there were 4 liberal and the swing Kennedy. She wanted to be on a liberal majority court so badly to really invent laws and push a liberal agenda, she stayed But she her choice we may not have had SCOTUS take up this case even with the 5 others in the majority beyond Barrett.

Yes. I think of Thomas the same way, sorta.

He's been waiting since 1991 for this moment. I wasn't kidding earlier when I wondered whether he'd started writing this opinion the day he got sworn in.

Last edited:
“I don’t think it’s going to change the way we issue licenses in Massachusetts. But I’m not a legal expert. We’ll see,” Isabella said.
It will almost certainly change the Brookline restrictions for the unimportant policy, and put an end to the mandatory contract accepting those restrictions.

The only questions are (a) will be be voluntary, and (b) If not, will Brookline have to pay a 1983 claim?

How unhappy do u think owners of machine guns will feel if the NFA is struck down? Those are losses in the 5 digits...
I don't play in that space, but I have some G17 mags that it sounds like were worth three figures last week and maybe $20-at-best this week (or do they go in the plastic recycling bin?), and if that turns out to really be the case I so don't care about the loss in value vs the fundamental rights issue. Bring it on. Does anybody really buy NFA stuff as an investment and not just because they like guns?

I still like old GI 20-round AR mags though.

I still like old GI 20-round AR mags though.
For convenience I use a lot of Magpul Pmags (20 and 30 rounds) which are loaded and in my go bag...but those metal GI NAM era 20 rounders are by far my favorite magazines. Use some of them at the range but can't stop collecting them and keep them unused.

is the pending SCOTUS case Duncan VS Bonta? I had thought they denied it cert?

Checked SCOTUS blog and it looks like it is the case pending order would that be granting it cert for the next session?

is the pending SCOTUS case Duncan VS Bonta? I had thought they denied it cert?

Checked SCOTUS blog and it looks like it is the case pending order would that be granting it cert for the next session?

Yes, Duncan v bonta mag limit case from CA/9th circuit, another similar case from NJ/3rd circuit, an AWB from MD/4th circuit and a carry case from Hawaii/9th called young v Hawaii

Those are the 4 pending cert and on hold at SCOTUS. They will grant cert and hear a case, deny cert allowing the lower court decision t9 stand or grant, vacate and remand to the lower court to reconsider based on the NYSRPA ruling

A couple of people have already done a screen capture of that in case someone at the LAT reads it and realizes what that says. :)

LA Times is a cesspool of racism
la_times_black_people_guns_06-27-2022.jpg

When should I be able to throw my u-notch mags in the trash?

If I were you, and they no longer become necessary, I would put them in a ziploc bag with dessicant and tuck them into the back of your safe. It took 50 years for Roe .vs. Wade to be overturned, I suspect that any pro gun laws might have a shorter life span.

I hate to sound so pessimistic.

How unhappy do u think owners of machine guns will feel if the NFA is struck down? Those are losses in the 5 digits...
Wouldn’t care in the least… It would be a hard financial hit but I’m getting pretty used to that.

I have my share of NFA.. It was a good time for a while. It’s more of a thorn in your side at this point if you live in New England.

What I find more interesting is how they shut down all the NFA boards where you could buy stuff..

Now if you wanna sell your left with private party, gun broker, or getting screwed at a dealer

For convenience I use a lot of Magpul Pmags (20 and 30 rounds) which are loaded and in my go bag...but those metal GI NAM era 20 rounders are by far my favorite magazines. Use some of them at the range but can't stop collecting them and keep them unused.
I love the 20's, they're just so size efficient and make prone shooting more comfortable.

Try the steel ones MidwayUSA makes. They may weigh a bit more, but they feel like they can take a beating and I'm sure the feed lips will last forever.

Jesus the stupidity. “I’m no legal expert but let me give you my legal opinion” says one chief. Do they even listen to themselves.

Some former Chief was yapping on the GOAL post today that he only denied a few licenses and that’s how it should be. Lol. He just didn’t get it. I’m sure he’s 100% behind police details as well.

Here's the MASSACHUSETTS RESIDENT LTC/FID/MACHINE GUN APPLICATION

Looks like it hasn't changed yet.

Basically, I think just these 2 sections can get eliminated:
View attachment 631297

Yeah. After we sue Muaaaaaarah in federal court.

Suitable is still open to interpretation, as long as it does not include special social status or need as part of the determination.
Yes, I think this is correct. New York (and I think CA) are still going with the 'good moral character' qualification. Based upon the MA AG's statement, I expect MA to fight to keep a narrowly scoped suitability standard. I think suitably will be very hard to overcome because most suitability denials that go the distance will be grounded in bad facts.

Back
Top Bottom