Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Or if you are in NY. No whip cream unless you are 21!

Clown world (yeah, nitrous, but still).

It's so easy. Some relatively effective Sen or Legisumbag comes to his leadership and says, "My sister's baby was at dahospitah because of the Redi-Whip. We need to do something!"

You get an entire legislative body that never thinks, "wait, do we really need this?" so they just weakly pass it in fear of looking like the a**h*** for NOT supporting the banning of under-21 whippets.

Imagine if someone just pulled together a group of pharmacists to limit Sudafed sales a decade ago instead of these stupid laws. Imagine that. Hmmm. Imagine if the maker of Sudafed said, "You know, we sell a shipload of this stuff to this one particular pharmacy in Pawtucket, RI. Maybe we should tell someone to investigate that."

Nope. We get a law and you can't get Sudafed except behind the counter. (I don't take teh stuff anymore, but it is a highly effective anti-cold strategy.)

But some legislator is so happy about this, they'll have "thwarted the under-age Whippet epidemic" carved on their headstone.

It's so easy. Some relatively effective Sen or Legisumbag comes to his leadership and says, "My sister's baby was at dahospitah because of the Redi-Whip. We need to do something!"

You get an entire legislative body that never thinks, "wait, do we really need this?" so they just weakly pass it in fear of looking like the a**h*** for NOT supporting the banning of under-21 whippets.

Imagine if someone just pulled together a group of pharmacists to limit Sudafed sales a decade ago instead of these stupid laws. Imagine that. Hmmm. Imagine if the maker of Sudafed said, "You know, we sell a shipload of this stuff to this one particular pharmacy in Pawtucket, RI. Maybe we should tell someone to investigate that."

Nope. We get a law and you can't get Sudafed except behind the counter. (I don't take teh stuff anymore, but it is a highly effective anti-cold strategy.)

But some legislator is so happy about this, they'll have "thwarted the under-age Whippet epidemic" carved on their headstone.
This absolutely kills me. I remember dragging myself into a CVS a couple of years ago to get Sudafed or whatever I could find. I was unbelievably sick. I hate taking these medications because it wipes me out the next day but I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't believe I had to show an ID probably go on some database when all I wanted to do was knock my fever down and breath.

The "Sensitive Places" Civil-Liberties Battle Begins

by FRANK MINITER August 27, 2022

In an “extraordinary” session, the New York State Assembly and Senate passed, and Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) signed, a sweeping new list of gun-control laws that seemed designed to nullify the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in NYSRPA v. Bruen, a majority opinion which confirmed that, yes indeed, the Second Amendment’s right to “bear arms” extends outside the home.

Even if you don’t live in New York, this is important. Anti-gun lawmakers in other states may look to New York to determine if they should follow Albany’s lead of thumbing its legislative nose at the highest level of the judiciary when determining how to adjust their own laws in the wake of the Bruen ruling.

New York state’s new list of “sensitive” areas off-limits to concealed carry includes:

Any place owned or under the control of federal, state or local government, for the purpose of government administration, including courts; any location providing health, behavioral health, or chemical dependance care or services; any place of worship or religious observation; libraries, public playgrounds, public parks, and zoos; in or upon any building or grounds, owned or leased, of any educational institutions, colleges and universities, licensed private career schools, school districts, public schools, private schools … ; any place, conveyance, or vehicle used for public transportation or public transit, subway cars, train cars, buses, ferries, railroad, omnibus, marine or aviation transportation; or any facility used for or in connection with service in the transportation of passengers, airports, train stations, subway and rail stations, and bus terminals; any establishment issued a license for on-premise consumption pursuant to article four, four-A, five, or six of the alcoholic beverage control law where alcohol is consumed and any establishment licensed under article four of the cannabis law for on-premise consumption; any place used for the performance, art entertainment, gaming, or sporting events such as theaters, stadiums, racetracks, museums, amusement parks, performance venues, concerts, exhibits, conference centers, banquet halls, and gaming facilities and video lottery terminal facilities as licensed by the gaming commission; any location being used as a polling place; any public sidewalk or other public area restricted from general public access for a limited time or special event that has been issued a permit for such time or event by a governmental entity, or subject to specific, heightened law enforcement protection, or has otherwise had such access restricted by a governmental entity, provided such location is identified as such by clear and conspicuous signage; any gathering of individuals to collectively express their constitutional rights to protest or assemble; the area commonly known as Times Square … .

In the Bruen decision, the Court did say that “because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry.”

This exhaustive list certainly feels like it constitutes “abusive ends.”

But wait, they didn’t stop there. The law also requires in-person interviews for those seeking pistol permits (that’ll slow down an already slow process in the state); a 16-hour, in-person, live curriculum; and two hours of a live-fire range training course. The time and cost factor of this is certainly “abusive.”

Those “applying” for their rights must also provide the licensing officer with four character references and “a list of former and current social media accounts of the applicant from the past three years,” so they can check each person’s character—might some partisan licensing official look for an opportunity to weed out people based on political affiliation?

So the fight for freedom goes on, as it enters yet another phase.

The "Sensitive Places" Civil-Liberties Battle Begins

by FRANK MINITER August 27, 2022

In an “extraordinary” session, the New York State Assembly and Senate passed, and Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) signed, a sweeping new list of gun-control laws that seemed designed to nullify the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in NYSRPA v. Bruen, a majority opinion which confirmed that, yes indeed, the Second Amendment’s right to “bear arms” extends outside the home.

Even if you don’t live in New York, this is important. Anti-gun lawmakers in other states may look to New York to determine if they should follow Albany’s lead of thumbing its legislative nose at the highest level of the judiciary when determining how to adjust their own laws in the wake of the Bruen ruling.

New York state’s new list of “sensitive” areas off-limits to concealed carry includes:

Any place owned or under the control of federal, state or local government, for the purpose of government administration, including courts; any location providing health, behavioral health, or chemical dependance care or services; any place of worship or religious observation; libraries, public playgrounds, public parks, and zoos; in or upon any building or grounds, owned or leased, of any educational institutions, colleges and universities, licensed private career schools, school districts, public schools, private schools … ; any place, conveyance, or vehicle used for public transportation or public transit, subway cars, train cars, buses, ferries, railroad, omnibus, marine or aviation transportation; or any facility used for or in connection with service in the transportation of passengers, airports, train stations, subway and rail stations, and bus terminals; any establishment issued a license for on-premise consumption pursuant to article four, four-A, five, or six of the alcoholic beverage control law where alcohol is consumed and any establishment licensed under article four of the cannabis law for on-premise consumption; any place used for the performance, art entertainment, gaming, or sporting events such as theaters, stadiums, racetracks, museums, amusement parks, performance venues, concerts, exhibits, conference centers, banquet halls, and gaming facilities and video lottery terminal facilities as licensed by the gaming commission; any location being used as a polling place; any public sidewalk or other public area restricted from general public access for a limited time or special event that has been issued a permit for such time or event by a governmental entity, or subject to specific, heightened law enforcement protection, or has otherwise had such access restricted by a governmental entity, provided such location is identified as such by clear and conspicuous signage; any gathering of individuals to collectively express their constitutional rights to protest or assemble; the area commonly known as Times Square … .

Where does that leave?

That's the point.
Also keep in mind that I believe the new NYS law prohibits carry in ANY public/private space (ie department stores, convienence stores, bodegas, offices, etc) unless said location has posted signage specifically allowing carry. In other words, the default is illegal to carry unless the owner specifically says it is OK.

Essentially, this new law has turned just about the entire state into a GFZ. It is arguably far worse in NYS now than before the SC decision

Essentially, this new law has turned just about the entire state into a GFZ. It is arguably far worse in NYS now than before the SC decision

It is, and that's why I'm glad they did it. Let's get this overwith on the SCOTUS level.

What I'm discouraged (but not at all surprised) by is that the gun-owning public in the VAST hinterlands of NYS that isn't the city? The public that presumably owns the most guns? They're not making noises about how ridiculous this law is. Or? Maybe they are, and we're just not hearing about it outside their own little regional bubble.

I'd hope that if MA did this, our GOAL people would be front and center. Does NYS just not have a Jim Wallace?

As I've stated many times the Leftists must double down on their actions because they have deemed SCOTUS illegitimate and us irredeemable racists. GUNZ are the problem, not their idiotic policies of defunding the Police and no jail time for violent minority felons. If you entered the Capitol on 6 Jan you must be confined to solitary confinement but if you use a stolen firearm to commit a crime injuring an innocent citizen you are released with no bail. Stupid is, Stupid does.

This absolutely kills me. I remember dragging myself into a CVS a couple of years ago to get Sudafed or whatever I could find. I was unbelievably sick. I hate taking these medications because it wipes me out the next day but I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't believe I had to show an ID probably go on some database when all I wanted to do was knock my fever down and breath.

dxm is way more dangerous than no2, it's actually physically addictive and causes severe liver damage. also, it's the only drug besides alcohol that when abused has been proven to lower IQ.

dxm is way more dangerous than no2, it's actually physically addictive and causes severe liver damage. also, it's the only drug besides alcohol that when abused has been proven to lower IQ.
I got high on that stuff by accident once, because I didn't have a dosing cup and guessed on the volume. DXM is no joke.

As I've stated many times the Leftists must double down on their actions because they have deemed SCOTUS illegitimate and us irredeemable racists. GUNZ are the problem, not their idiotic policies of defunding the Police and no jail time for violent minority felons. If you entered the Capitol on 6 Jan you must be confined to solitary confinement but if you use a stolen firearm to commit a crime injuring an innocent citizen you are released with no bail. Stupid is, Stupid does.

What you ARE seeing are judges appointed by the Left following the rule of law. "Shit. The USSC ruled on this. Gotta follow that rule."

It'll be interesting if it gets here to the Northeast and how the districts up here rule.

Sudafed is Pseudoephedrine, not DXM. Not a cough suppressant. And the best cough suppressant I've ever found was. . . . . . good old fashioned 18th century codeine. I haven't had a bad cough in 15-20 years but damn did that stop the irritation cold.

It's not the leftists. Hard core leftists love guns as much as we do. Look at those John Brown people guarding the drag queen show in Texas. It's the establishment. The politicians bought and paid for by big tech, billionaires, the WEF, etc. They don't want an armed populace because they want the sole monopoly on violence. So they appeal to the dumb idiots who are easily plied and manipulated with a promise of freedom from violence. These are the same people who will implant a microchip in their heads if it means not having to look for their covid digital id or they can rub their forehead against a 'pay here' kiosk. They see people walking around with a worry in the world in some futuristic Sci-Fi movie and they want that, but right now. There are plenty of people who are quite literally sheep and will abdicate all personal responsibility for a life of riley on 2 times the minimum wage, some fancy flip flops and a new iphone. ps: they'll gladly eat the crickets too.

Back
Top Bottom