Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

At some point in the near future I would think this is going to come to head where the irresistible force meets the immovable object the way the blue states are pushing back. I've said it before this reminds me of the guy who hates his boss but there is nothing he can do about it. So he comes home and punches his wife and kicks the dog.

The court just reversed the precious roe, they won’t flinch to strike down those gun control laws which are ignoring heller and NYSRPA.

Supreme Court: "I'll raise..."
New York: "All in!"

I just wonder how long until they are called...

Among other places, public transit, (edit: entertainment venues) & park carry banned. Carry into private business without explicit opt-in by owner. Violations are felonies.
I actually wonder on the opt-in requirement could you even throw in some 1st Amendment violation (I'm constitutionally dreaming on a Friday...)

Second edit:
"Gun license applicants will be subject to interviews, social media monitoring and monthly background checks."

Wow. Full retard. Daring to be overturned.

Last edited:
Now that Maura has capitulated, call again and say you would like your restrictions lifted now.
He lifted mine immediately (call was made last Friday, call was returned this past Monday morning). Kind of messed up the unequal treatment given to @Wramos93 and me. The restrictions were lifted while we were on the phone on the computer and that is ultimately what matter(ed), but they will be printing a card that says as much. Now though, I don't think restrictions even matter, though I'm sure some cops/PDs will have not gotten the memo immediately.

He lifted mine immediately (call was made last Friday, call was returned this past Monday morning). Kind of messed up the unequal treatment given to @Wramos93 and me. The restrictions were lifted while we were on the phone on the computer and that is ultimately what matter(ed), but they will be printing a card that says as much. Now though, I don't think restrictions even matter, though I'm sure some cops/PDs will have not gotten the memo immediately.
It's going to take some time to trickle down to the guys on the street. Worst case, someone gets a wrongful arrest suit...

Wow just wow I wonder if it’s a race thing because I was so polite etc I just left a voicemail so let’s see even brought up the recent ruling

Wow just wow I wonder if it’s a race thing because I was so polite etc I just left a voicemail so let’s see even brought up the recent ruling
Honestly not sure, I'd hate to think it was a race thing and more of their "you need to have it for 1 year before lifting restrictions" policy. But their policy seemed to change on a daily basis. I mentioned the case in my voicemail and in the call and when I asked for the restrictions to be lifted, he did not say the case was why he was agreeing to lift them. He did mention that I had my license since 2017 and that I "could have called after a year." I did not want to press him on how they would react broadly to restricted licensees, but in the light of this new state guidance, I probably would press him a little more.

Current guidance is to issue only unrestricted - they can't argue that current restrictions will be lifted at renewal or some time in the future. If you push they must reissue as unrestricted.

However, every COP will argue that those who don't ask are voluntarily accepting a restricted license

Gun license applicants will be subject to interviews, social media monitoring and monthly background checks.

Simply amazing. And further:

must provide contact information for household members
must renew their licenses every three years
may only be allowed in businesses if the owner put up a sign explicitly allowing it
off-limits locations include demonstrations, schools, healthcare facilities, parks, Times Square, public transit, bars, polling places, entertainment venues ... and more
permits will be denied for a broader range of criminal offenses
new rules surrounding the purchase of ammunition and gun accessories, the storage of weapons and other minutiae

And I thought no one would beat Witmer on an insanity test. I guess they are going to throw the kitchen sink upstream to see what sticks.

may only be allowed in businesses if the owner put up a sign explicitly allowing it
off-limits locations include demonstrations, schools, healthcare facilities, parks, Times Square, public transit, bars, polling places, entertainment venues ... and more
new rules surrounding the purchase of ammunition and gun accessories, the storage of weapons and other minutiae

And I thought no one would beat Witmer on an insanity test. I guess they are going to throw the kitchen sink upstream to see what sticks.
Doubling down on SCOTUS usually ends up squaring the resulting ass kicking you are going to get.

Every time I read it I find a new nugget of $h!t

This is the flailing of a dying animal - it's said "you can't stop the flop." They're going to gasp and grab too see if anything sticks. It's only going to accelerate their losses.

For example - we already know they can't ban on national parks, this will simply incorporate it downwards. And Times Square is how many acres of public road and businesses?

It's straight-up, in-your-face, foot-stomping defiance of the Supreme Court. [popcorn] Can't wait to see how this plays out. [devil]

It's going to take some time to trickle down to the guys on the street. Worst case, someone gets a wrongful arrest suit...
Just called them literally just now left a voicemail
Honestly not sure, I'd hate to think it was a race thing and more of their "you need to have it for 1 year before lifting restrictions" policy. But their policy seemed to change on a daily basis. I mentioned the case in my voicemail and in the call and when I asked for the restrictions to be lifted, he did not say the case was why he was agreeing to lift them. He did mention that I had my license since 2017 and that I "could have called after a year." I did not want to press him on how they would react broadly to restricted licensees, but in the light of this new state guidance, I probably would press him a little more.
ohhh 100% that’s why Medford unrestricted after a year

According to GOAL on FB Healy has issued new guidance that chiefs cannot demand applicants to show a good reason for isuing a LTC. Applicants who are not PP or unsuitable must be issued an unrestricted license. I'll try to upload the text when I get to my computer.
Um, your a little late to the party...

According to GOAL on FB Healy has issued new guidance that chiefs cannot demand applicants to show a good reason for isuing a LTC. Applicants who are not PP or unsuitable must be issued an unrestricted license. I'll try to upload the text when I get to my computer.
It's already linked in a couple other threads

Just called them literally just now left a voicemail

ohhh 100% that’s why Medford unrestricted after a year
Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about it right now. Enforcing restrictions is now illegal. The text on your card is a formality. It's good to be excited, and to hold them to it, but there's probably no need to rush it.

Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about it right now. Enforcing restrictions is now illegal. The text on your card is a formality. It's good to be excited, and to hold them to it, but there's probably no need to rush it.
True but an a**h*** can still give him the ride and courts will wave it off as qualified immunity because the officer didn't have 40 hours of training on the subject

Just read the guidance. Seems like a long-winded legalese way of saying “nothing is changing here in Mass.”
The guidance is clear.

- Licensing authorities should cease enforcement of the “good reason” provision of the license-to-carry statute in response to Bruen. Authorities should no longer deny, or impose restrictions on, a license to carry because the applicant lacks a sufficiently good reason to carry a firearm. An applicant who is neither a “prohibited person” or “unsuitable” must be issued an unrestricted license to carry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom