• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Summer Carry

Summer is coming. I've already brought the summer clothes out of the attick, the comforters are all put away.... but now, I'm gonna have trouble concealing this G19 (I've given up on the m&p 40c).... What are some of the tricks of the trade to keep this bad boy undetected, so the sheep don't go into a panic? Or should I buy something for the summer season (Give me an excuse to buy another handgun), if so whats the recommendation?

You may also wish to consider an ankle holster (unless you're wearing shorts) as an alternative to the IWB under the T shirt.

I do the 40c under the T in an MTAC with the BUG weak side pocket.

I do wear an undershirt tho, as I don't like the leather against my skin.

Another option is a fishing shirt. I wear these on the hottest days.

Oh hell....I'll bite

You will never conceal it and therefore have to go buy a Kahr PM9 with a pocket holster. Buy Buy Buy

[wink]

Been carrying a Taurus 85 ultralite in my front pocket for the past few weeks. I love it so far.

There are a ton of benefits from having multiple carry pieces. I felt my glock was too fat
for IWB in the summer months. For me anyway. I sold it for a cheaper snubbie. The
difference in price is going towards a bigger gun I can conceal in the winter.

no probs with m&p 9C under anything untucked in a OWB CompTac. been carrying all of my pistols this way for years. Not as many people are concerned with your waist as you are and those that are are also likely carrying. It is more how to carry than what to carry in. Lots of CC people fail to alter their normal activities while carrying and even with an IWB will either obviously print or expose. You cant reach up for high for something on a the grocery store shelf with the arm on your holster side for the above scenario could occur. I saw just that scenario once in the supermarket with a guy CCing in an IWB. go with whats comfortable mentally and physically and reasonable to "conceal".

If you are open to buying another gun, consider a pocket gun. They are hard to find, but a Kahr MK9 or PM9 conceal very well.

no probs with m&p 9C under anything untucked in a OWB CompTac. been carrying all of my pistols this way for years. Not as many people are concerned with your waist as you are and those that are are also likely carrying. It is more how to carry than what to carry in. Lots of CC people fail to alter their normal activities while carrying and even with an IWB will either obviously print or expose. You cant reach up for high for something on a the grocery store shelf with the arm on your holster side for the above scenario could occur. I saw just that scenario once in the supermarket with a guy CCing in an IWB. go with whats comfortable mentally and physically and reasonable to "conceal".

Its funny, when I went to get my tattoo finished a couple weeks ago, I went to a couple stores first, no wierd looks. As soon as I walked into the tattoo shop, the guy says "What are you packing??"...turns out he's a shooter too. Kinda put me on the spot but he was cool.

You need to get the Rodney Dangerfield "regular Guy Look" LTC shorts and the white wing tip shoes!

Its funny, when I went to get my tattoo finished a couple weeks ago, I went to a couple stores first, no wierd looks. As soon as I walked into the tattoo shop, the guy says "What are you packing??"...turns out he's a shooter too. Kinda put me on the spot but he was cool.

hahaha. I dont know what the etiquette is when you "make" someone carrying but i dont say anything cause i think it spooks that person, but its good to know there are more of "us"[wink]

hahaha. I dont know what the etiquette is when you "make" someone carrying but i dont say anything cause i think it spooks that person, but its good to know there are more of "us"[wink]

yeah... I've known him for a few years but haven't seen him since I got my LTC... and never noticed him carrying, until he mentioned it...

If you haven't already, invest in a sturdy belt specifically made for carrying. And if your body shape supports it, consider appendix carry.

I carry an HK45c in a Raven Concealment ACR all year round and I have no problems with printing, even with a not particularly loose, un-tucked polo shirt.

So here is my two cents......

For CCW I am a huge Cross Breed IWB SuperTuck whore. They fit great, can barely feel I'm wearing a firearm, and they are pretty much visually undetectable when worn correctly. Ankle holsters have sucked for me without getting some boot cut or tailored pants. Now, if you are open to a new summer carry firearm, I would suggest the Glock 33. You can switch between .357 and .40 cal....plus it is a very nice small, light package. Otherwise, I think your current Glock in a SuperTuck would work well (just a bit heavy...keep pulling those pants up!).

This. EMS, Lands End, etc., make a lot of stylish shirts in the Hawaiian cut that can easily conceal a full sized pistol and back up mags if you're not a fatty. Sure, you might look like a fatty wearing one of them, but what would you rather be... a skinny running a 5 shot revolver you never practiced with? Or someone who looked like a fatty with a gun that gets the job done?

My fat makes me look like a fatty.

My PPS in a FIST thin kydex iwb is never noticed with untucked t-shirt . spg

I have a nice IWB holster (Comptac Minotaur) and it's great, comparable to others mentioned I think.

What I have found works well for me in the summer is to wear a long undershirt ("beater") underneath my t-shirt and tuck it in over the holster worn at 4 o'clock. Then when I reach for something or bend over (this is Massachusetts so it happens all the time) it isn't exposed and to the critical observer it looks like a slight bulge in the wrong place perhaps. I have a long torso so I like the extra safety of an undershirt to tuck over everything.

+1 on the Supertuck.

Adjustable cant comes in real handy to keep the grip from protruding past your natural body lines

The belt clips are wide apart, allowing more advantageous weight distribution.

The belt clips blend into a black belt very nicely. There are no leather loops to fasten to your belt and give an awkward appearance.

The carry height is also adjustable allowing you to practically bury the gun below your belt line so only a portion of the grip is showing. Or carry it high so the bulk of the gun follows your bending and twisting motions more naturally.

The point is, it's very customizable. I changed the carry height, and cant angle on mine. I also ordered it without a "combat cut" and made my own so it follows the contours on my specific gun. It allows you to be 100% sure that the holster does not get in the way during holstering/drawing.

When I carry, I have an XD SC at 3:00 or 4:00 and it carries very well. I've yet to have any friends become inquisitive about "what's that on your hip?"

Back
Top Bottom