• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suitability with an arrest record

Or waste his money. I am familiar with the details surrounding the event and it was a very minor charge decades ago, and he wasn't even convicted. Several people both in this thread and via PM have confirmed that they got their licenses despite very similar circumstances and they simply listed the violation on their app on the appropriate space. I highly doubt that the attorneys that cover this sort of thing "most likely have a relationship with the COP" of a town picked out of a hat.

We live in the great USA and it is everyone's right to be able to spend their money as they see fit; if someone feels like they cannot do the research on this or they cannot understand it, people like lawyers and insurance companies will be happy to take your money. As for this I will recommend to him that he just lists it on his application like the several members on here did and I will post the results in the Guide to Gun Rights in your MA Town thread.

We know he wasn't convicted because it was CWOF. What is your definition of 'very minor'. He got arrested and went to court so apparently the PD and a judge figured it was worth at least some of their time.
If you find a lawyer who does this on a regular basis they will have interacted with the COP in the past. How hard is that to comprehend. The odds are in your favor in a green town but IMHO to try and save a few hundred dollars on a consult with a lawyer is foolish. Just out of curiosity does he happen to know how much an attorney will charge to appeal a denial?

ETA You refer to 'doing research'. Read my previous posts in this thread. Again, IMHO, that research should include a conversation with the COP by a third party or a consult with an attorney. Your 'research' here and/or elsewhere on the internet does not count.

Last edited:
We know he wasn't convicted because it was CWOF. What is your definition of 'very minor'. He got arrested and went to court so apparently the PD and a judge figured it was worth at least some of their time.
If you find a lawyer who does this on a regular basis they will have interacted with the COP in the past. How hard is that to comprehend. The odds are in your favor in a green town but IMHO to try and save a few hundred dollars on a consult with a lawyer is foolish. Just out of curiosity does he happen to know how much an attorney will charge to appeal a denial?

ETA You refer to 'doing research'. Read my previous posts in this thread. Again, IMHO, that research should include a conversation with the COP by a third party or a consult with an attorney. Your 'research' here and/or elsewhere on the internet does not count.

I was quoted $1500 to fight a denial based on suitability

I was quoted $1500 to fight a denial based on suitability
That is bargain if that is a flat fee that includes filing and representing you at a district court case. $1500 is more the amount one would expect for an attorney to handle a negotiation with a department than to try a case.

Back
Top Bottom