• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

suggestions for first shotgun

7e7ahedy.jpg

Modded chainsaw. Breacher.

Go with the 870. In all regards very similar to the Mossberg 500, but in my opinion, the trigger is a lot better.

I'm going to buy a 500 just because you hate them so much. And because Joe Biden told me to. And because its one of the most reliable and most popular shotguns ever. And because if its good enough for the US mil, then its good enough for me (but apparently not for you). Cheers!
Not good enough for the Marines,they have 10,000 plus benellis now.[wink] if you must go pump get a 870.

I think I paid under $300 for my first Mossy 500. Can't go wrong at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winchester 1200/1300/ ranger 120 great pump guns very reliable

Not to diss a Winnie - a 1400 has served three generations of Happys quite well - but they are out of production.

If you're going to get a first shotgun, unless you fall into super deal, I'd recommend a current-production gun, so that future customization will be easier.

could you please elaborate on this---as a newbie (2-1/2 years) I bought the mav 88 as it was there and cheap for home defense

I posted in the skeet/trap forum 6-7 months ago about what options I may have with the 88 and got cricket chirps--I realize I would need a barrel that will accept a choke

there is no skeet/trap at my club to speak of, (although it is allowed and I'd like to try it) so if anyone can give some input for the 88 I would appreciate it-----I know it's a cheap gun, so don't tell me to upgrade

if there are no options for upgrade, that's ok i'll live with it as is

I bought my 88 with the 18.5" barrel and have shot skeet with it a number of times (with that barrel). Last year I bought a mossy 500 28" barrel with 3 chokes. Most 500 parts will work, with the exception of the forend I believe.

I'm thinking of getting the Mossberg 535 combo for my first shotgun to take up hunting.

What do you guys think pros & cons?

Last edited:
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. you can have them as standard wood stocked shotguns, swap em out and make em killy and black if you so choose.

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. you can have them as standard wood stocked shotguns, swap em out and make em killy and black if you so choose.

A guy I work with who is has been hunting for many years told me if I'm only gonna buy one shotguns as a do it all for hunting to buy it in camo.

And from what I read the 535 Is the same as the 500 except it takes 3.5 shells

Go semiautomatic...mossberg 930spx...tristsar tec-12 or raptor...Remington 11-87 or versamax line.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP,

What, if any Shotguns have you held/shot?

When I was picking out my shotgun, which was my first I went to the shop and just held, cycled and got a feel for the ones in my price range. For what I was willing to spend my choices were the 870 and the Mossberg 500. I went 870, just thought the 870 felt more solid...they are coke and pepsi...pretty much the same, just different enough to notice.

If you're on a budget get a pump, simple enough. I paid $349 for my 870 tactical at Sports Authority. If you join there in house rewards thing I think you get 10% off your first purchase with it too

My favorite pump is the Remington 887 nitro mag tactical. It had issues back in 2010 but it is a solid shotgun that will shoot anything. Blows my 870 out of the water

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom