suggestions for first shotgun

Hi,

Relatively new firearms owner, LTC unrestricted. Currently have a S&W M&P 9c.

Looking for a do-it all shotgun that won't break the bank. Use for hunting, home defense, and eventually trap.

Should I consider a shotgun with interchangeable barrels? Or does this become an unnecessary compromise?

Also not sure if I should go pump action like a rem 870 or semi auto like the 1187.

You opinions are appreciated.

I'm kinda in same boat, not so much new to firearms but planning on getting into hunting this year

I'm looking at the 870 or the Mossberg 500 combo in camo

I'm kinda in same boat, not so much new to firearms but planning in getting into hunting this year

I'm looking at the 870 or the Mossberg 500 combo in camo

do yourself a favor and get yourself a wetherby pa-08 combo. f-ing awesome for hunting

Have to add another +1 to the 870. It's pretty much held the #1 spot as the go to pump 12G workhorse as long as I can remember.

My suggestion to you if you choose to purchase one is: look for a used older one. Remington has made millions of them. I have a early one. When you compare the quality of the internals, receiver, walnut, checkering on the walnut, fit & finish etc. to a new manufactured one. The difference is clear. Also try to find that guy who bought or acquired both barrels. Buying one individually can blow your budget. Good luck.

If your on a budget and wanting to deer hunt I'd buy a muzzle loader. Cheap, accurate(more than a lot of shotguns),easy to use now, and you get a way longer hunting season. A new Omaga can be less than 300 and will go toe to toe with almost any shotgun. Good luck.

If your on a budget and wanting to deer hunt I'd buy a muzzle loader. Cheap, accurate(more than a lot of shotguns),easy to use now, and you get a way longer hunting season. A new Omaga can be less than 300 and will go toe to toe with almost any shotgun. Good luck.

also a good way to go. but i think it may be for more experienced hunters.

Mossberg 500

/thread

500s are crap. Benelli's are the best of the best imo ,without going full retard. Remington 1187 would be my next pick. Theres one here now with 2 barrels for sale i think. Screw pumps, why put up with the kick. My benelli gos boom no matter the temp, no matter the round.

I call bullshit. 500 is a beater 12ga, affordable and dependable. I own a Benelli ($1400) that I love along with my 500 ($399 for the Chainsaw model). You can't compare the 2, not fair to either or. Also, the perfect Benelli can have cycling issues with birdshot.

Last edited:
Have to add another +1 to the 870. It's pretty much held the #1 spot as the go to pump 12G workhorse as long as I can remember.

My suggestion to you if you choose to purchase one is: look for a used older one. Remington has made millions of them. I have a early one. When you compare the quality of the internals, receiver, walnut, checkering on the walnut, fit & finish etc. to a new manufactured one. The difference is clear. Also try to find that guy who bought or acquired both barrels. Buying one individually can blow your budget. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your helpful, thoughtful input.

If looking for an older Remington, what year would you consider to be a cut off year?

/thread

I call bullshit. 500 is a beater 12ga, affordable and dependable. I own a Benelli ($1400) that I love along with my 500 ($399 for the Chainsaw model). You can't compare the 2, not fair to either or. Also, the perfect Benelli can have cycling issues with birdshot.
What are you calling bs on. I call them crap you call yours a "beater" what's the diff. Then you go on to say you have a 1400 dollar benelli that you love? Why? Could it be its awesomeness? We agree. And yes your right you can't compare the two because ones cheap and the other a fine piece of critter killing bang bang. My 500 broke the forearm off the first year I bought it. My benelli has never failed in anyway ever in 15 years of hunting. You get what you pay for.

Maverick 88; get an HD barrel and a mossy 500 accuchoke for the rest.

could you please elaborate on this---as a newbie (2-1/2 years) I bought the mav 88 as it was there and cheap for home defense

I posted in the skeet/trap forum 6-7 months ago about what options I may have with the 88 and got cricket chirps--I realize I would need a barrel that will accept a choke

there is no skeet/trap at my club to speak of, (although it is allowed and I'd like to try it) so if anyone can give some input for the 88 I would appreciate it-----I know it's a cheap gun, so don't tell me to upgrade

if there are no options for upgrade, that's ok i'll live with it as is

Last edited:
What are you calling bs on. I call them crap you call yours a "beater" what's the diff. Then you go on to say you have a 1400 dollar benelli that you love? Why? Could it be its awesomeness? We agree. And yes your right you can't compare the two because ones cheap and the other a fine piece of critter killing bang bang. My 500 broke the forearm off the first year I bought it. My benelli has never failed in anyway ever in 15 years of hunting. You get what you pay for.

Beater doesn't mean unreliable. If the 500 sucked it wouldn't be one of the most popular 12ga on the market.

Thanks everyone for your helpful, thoughtful input.

If looking for an older Remington, what year would you consider to be a cut off year?

Ignore the "year", pay attention to the "miles". Look at the overall condition, take a peek in the bore; drop the trigger group and see if it looks gnarly in any way. If it looks like it's been through the wars....it better be cheap. If it looks clean, and well cared for, buy it.

There are minor internal differences between the older and newer vintages - my kid's old (~40 years) 870 broke the part that connects the forend to the action; it was a bit of a search to find a replacement part.

Do not obsess about a specific model, or vintage, until you try one.

I have some experience with new shotgunners. What you "need" the first time on the line is often not what you "need" after a bit of shooting. Of course, that's how one gets a collection, and time, an arsenal [laugh]

Beater doesn't mean unreliable. If the 500 sucked it wouldn't be one of the most popular 12ga on the market.
Meh, Popularity seldom means quality. I'll stand by my original point, 500s suck. I think Budweiser sucks too. One of the biggest selling beers if not the biggest right? Garbage.

Meh, Popularity seldom means quality. I'll stand by my original point, 500s suck. I think Budweiser sucks too. One of the biggest selling beers if not the biggest right? Garbage.
A lot more people like the shotgun and the beer than you. The majority wins.

actually everyone here is right. most people agree on the 870. look into that ....... simpler right? I have other opinions than others. but the consensus was 870. that won the thread.

could you please elaborate on this---as a newbie (2-1/2 years) I bought the mav 88 as it was there and cheap for home defense

I posted in the skeet/trap forum 6-7 months ago about what options I may have with the 88 and got cricket chirps--I realize I would need a barrel that will accept a choke

there is no skeet/trap at my club to speak of, (although it is allowed and I'd like to try it) so if anyone can give some input for the 88 I would appreciate it-----I know it's a cheap gun, so don't tell me to upgrade

I have an 88 with 28" barrel and i use it for trap. It also has screw in chokes. Only came with one so that's what i've been using. For $199 out the door it's a bargain. Hasn't failed me yet. I'll get something better but for now, it's good.

I believe the Mavrick will accept Mossberg parts since it is a division of Mossberg, so you can buy different barrels for it

500s are crap. Benelli's are the best of the best imo ,without going full retard. Remington 1187 would be my next pick. Theres one here now with 2 barrels for sale i think. Screw pumps, why put up with the kick. My benelli gos boom no matter the temp, no matter the round.
That's ok my benelli will always love me.
I'm going to buy a 500 just because you hate them so much. And because Joe Biden told me to. And because its one of the most reliable and most popular shotguns ever. And because if its good enough for the US mil, then its good enough for me (but apparently not for you). Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom