suggestions for first shotgun

Hi,

Relatively new firearms owner, LTC unrestricted. Currently have a S&W M&P 9c.

Looking for a do-it all shotgun that won't break the bank. Use for hunting, home defense, and eventually trap.

Should I consider a shotgun with interchangeable barrels? Or does this become an unnecessary compromise?

Also not sure if I should go pump action like a rem 870 or semi auto like the 1187.

You opinions are appreciated.

my first shotgun (and only currently) was a Remington 870 and I chose it for all the reasons you listed. I didn't know what I would be getting into most so I wanted something I could do everything with if I wanted, and not break the bank

YES to the interchangeable barrels. I'd say 870 Wingmaster or Benelli Super Nova. I'd also say pump because a pump is usually cheaper.

First shotgun for this guy was your basic Remington 870 express. $270. As basic & cheap as you can get for a reliable 12 gauge IMHO.

any inexpensive pump, mine was a mossberg, then a browning, then a S&W, then a weatherby, then a bennelli, then an 870......

Try before you buy.

Go to your Club, and ask around - you may get offers to "try mine!"

Fit is vital in a shotgun. My kid shoots an 870 for Trap and Skeet. His backup is an 1100. If I use the 1100, I find the 1100's comb 1/8" too high (yes, I'm picky, but over a day of shooting trap at a meet, you have 100 to 300 shots to fire!), so while I can shoot it, it's not comfortable.

If you've never heard of the gun, then don't get it. Remington is an excellent platform, as you can trick it out for pretty much anything. I have a S&W Model 1000 that I use, and let others use - many people love it, but it's an orphan, and not a good choice for an only gun.

If you don't know what makes the "right fit", go talk to Trapezoids or Skeeters and find out. I've been doing it for a while, so I can pick up a shottie and assess the fit (for me) right off. If you can't....take the time to find one that does, as it will help you with breaking targets, and not getting the crap beat out of you.

Mossberg 500

THIS^

I'll get flamed for this one but check the process at Dicks.........it is the only fire arm I have ever bought from Dicks because the price was just too good to pass up. Mossy 500 package they run from time to time includes the bird barrel with 3 chokes included, a rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount, and a basic scope. Barrels were ported and the whole thing was around $350. All my other guns I have bought private sale or at a LGS........but this deal was too good to pass up.

Mossy 500 is a bread and butter scatter gun that will last for a lifetime and can be used for just about anything.

Mossberg 500! I got mine for $280 at Dicks. I got the 500A which came with 3 chokes and is ported. I used it for skeet and trap up until a recent purchase. It is a tank and I refer to it as old faithful. I have put more rounds through mine than I could ever count. I love that gun. You will need to buy a barrel for home defense though as this is too long.

500s are crap. Benelli's are the best of the best imo ,without going full retard. Remington 1187 would be my next pick. Theres one here now with 2 barrels for sale i think. Screw pumps, why put up with the kick. My benelli gos boom no matter the temp, no matter the round.

My 11-87 is about oh I don't know - 16 or 17 years old now. It failed me in the field for the first time this year. New recoil spring, mag spring, and trigger group (as opposed to replacing individual springs) and she's back to like new... Really all it needed was a feed latch - but with the springs so old I felt it was time to show it some love. It hasn't been a bad gun. But I would say the fit and finish on my Remington firearms are poor. I like my Brownings for that much more. But boy do you pay for them....

Get a remington 870. If you really want a semi for doubles in clay games get a remington 1187. I had a Winchester 1400mkii I sved for. Was a great gun. Some cosmetic issues and I payed 225 at ktp.

Back
Top Bottom