Suggestions for a good 9mm competition gun?

I've shot targets for the last three years using a Beretta 92/9mm and have just recently started shooting competitively over the past year. After some IDPA-style practice last night at the range with my Beretta I am now committed to swapping it in for something more fit for the job. I just can't take those iron sights anymore!

I've looked at Glocks a bit but I am unsure of which would be the right choice and have seen them lock up so many times in compeition I am hesitant to go there. That being said, I am still researching.

Can anyone suggest a MA compliant 9mm competition gun for under $2,000?

If you need something MA dealer compliant, either an M&P fullsize or a pre-98 Glock 34. If you have the patience to watch the classifieds, I think an M&P 9 Pro or G34 are the top two choices. Come out and shoot some IDPA with the Beretta and ask other people about their guns. Most are happy to show them off and let you shoot a mag or two.

Thanks - any CZ in particular?

A few have suggested the Glock and I know that I certainly see a lot of them - I am just not sure why "everyone" chooses them.
I'd like to at least consider some other options. I'll look into the CZ. Hopefully I'll get a few other recommendations as well.

Thanks again.

look at CZ
they are reasonable in price & can be tuned for awesome triggers

Excellent advice from the Man from CT. To add, see if you can find a SP01. I also know of a Tanfoglio for sale but they are not quite the same although close.

To 9x21, I will be trying out an Angus tuned Shadow this year shooting Limited minor (I know I am handicapped enough) [smile]

Can anyone suggest a MA compliant 9mm competition gun for under $2,000? I just can't take those iron sights anymore!

Not really. If you're looking for an optic assisted pistol you're talking open class. If you're really lucky you could find a used gun on GB or Brian Enos.
You could configure an open Glock for less than 2K but you'll still be handicaped with the Glock "safe action".

I've looked at Glocks a bit but I am unsure of which would be the right choice and have seen them lock up so many times in compeition.

Really? Been shooting compeditively for years & Glocks seem to have the least problems. Look again. Another vote for G34.

A few have suggested the Glock and I know that I certainly see a lot of them - I am just not sure why "everyone" chooses them.

Because their cheap, they work, the compeditive shooting industry makes a ton of stuff for them, & they accept preban high cap mags that will allow you to shoot limited class in USPSA.

Last edited:
Hmmm,,, I don't think it's the gun, I think it's the shooter,,, if you can't shoot iron sights you probably shouldn't be shooting competitively. Just my opinion. Lots of people and organizations use the 92 in competitions. Personally, I'd take iron sights over optics on a pistol any day.

Which club have you practiced at?

Consider coming to an HSC IDPA practice and try a few different guns before you buy. If you ask typically people are ok with letting people fire a few rounds off or handing there toys..

IMO your 2K price budget is ALLOT if you want to shoot SSP. I would personally recommend a M&P 9MM with a trigger job. And some comp-tac gear you should be under 1K then spend the other 1k on ammo:) I have fired roughly 30,000 rounds down 2 different M&P's and I have been nothing but happy. I have fired roughly 3,000 rounds down a G34 and was happy... Fit and feel in the end is how I choose the M&P Pro, you are more than welcome to give mine a run at a HSC practice...

What is it about the iron sights you cannot take???

After some IDPA-style practice last night at the range with my Beretta I am now committed to swapping it in for something more fit for the job. I just can't take those iron sights anymore!QUOTE]

Thanks for all of the suggestions/advice.
My issue with the iron sites is that I cant see them as well as others unless the gun is backlit or I am outside. In those settings, the sites are fine and that's what I've shot for years with no problem. Since Fall I've been shooting competitions inside and it's not as well lit - for me at least it takes some doing to get the gun back on target.

A used open gun with a red dot sight is going to be about $2K- gear is more. Here's my choice in one word: GLOCK

Excellent advice from the Man from CT. To add, see if you can find a SP01. I also know of a Tanfoglio for sale but they are not quite the same although close.

To 9x21, I will be trying out an Angus tuned Shadow this year shooting Limited minor (I know I am handicapped enough) [smile]

Tanfoglio's can have unreal triggers too. [smile] That's from personal experience.

I've shot targets for the last three years using a Beretta 92/9mm and have just recently started shooting competitively over the past year. After some IDPA-style practice last night at the range with my Beretta I am now committed to swapping it in for something more fit for the job. I just can't take those iron sights anymore!

I've looked at Glocks a bit but I am unsure of which would be the right choice and have seen them lock up so many times in compeition I am hesitant to go there. That being said, I am still researching.

Have you tried shooting with a fiber optic front sight? It will make your front sight easier to track.

Have you tried shooting with a fiber optic front sight? It will make your front sight easier to track.

I was always against using fiber optic beads on shotguns for clay target games, I found them distracting, but I bought a 1911 from TY43215(always be Round Gun Shooter to me) and wow I am impressed. That orange front sight is hard to miss and very easy to acquire/reacquire. when I first saw the pistol I was thinking of what to replace the sights with. I am glad I tried them out first.

Thanks - any CZ in particular?

I'd like to at least consider some other options. I'll look into the CZ. Hopefully I'll get a few other recommendations as well.

Thanks again.

For IDPA a CZ75 SA for esp, it has a better beavertail than CZ75 DA
For USPSA SP01

Glock 34 and the M&P Pro(L) are the most popular guns in the IDPA world to shoot according to all the people I have talked to and watched. Rob Lacroix and I shoot the Harvard and Worcester matches every chance we get and Rob is consistently in the overall top 10 and I'm right behind him. He shoots a Berreta 92 Elite and I shoot a Ruger SR9 in the SSP divisions.

ScottSaint where are you located. if you are close to me ill let you try my G34 it came from the factory with a 4.5lb trigger. let me know.

Thanks wiskie - I live in Norfolk, MA. I shoot in Millis (Fin, Fur & Feather), Attelboro, Harvard, etc..
Would love to try it out.

Depends on what you're looking to shoot.
I can only give advice for IDPA. I haven't strayed into USPSA yet.

For IDPA, if you want a competitive gun that you won't need to sell and upgrade:
Glock 34 or M&P Pro.
Personal preference on the two.
I personally can't shoot a Sig because my trigger finger can't reach the trigger in DA...and I don't like how the gun has two different trigger pulls.

I happened to have both but I could not bring myself to shoot the Pro in a match due to reliability issues. It could be that I just got a bad one. Eventually I had the kinks worked out but at that point I was just turned off to the gun. I don't have issues with my Glock after shooting it it countless of thousands of rounds without cleaning. The only malfunctions I get are magazine related.

Depends on what you're looking to shoot.
I can only give advice for IDPA. I haven't strayed into USPSA yet.

For IDPA, if you want a competitive gun that you won't need to sell and upgrade:
Glock 34 or M&P Pro.
Personal preference on the two.

USPSA production is the same. The only real equipment difference between SSP and Production is USPSA you need more mags/carriers. There are some very minor differences on allowed mods, but sights and trigger job are good to go for both. That's all I'd recommend anyway. If you get good enough to gain from minor little tweaks you'll know better than anyone on a forum what you'll need.

I like my 1911 in 9mm all set up for ESP in IDPA or single stack minor USPSA.

Love shooting 1911, in 45ACP, old school IDPA, IPSC, and USPSA. All started by Cooper for combat 45s
you should try one before you drop several thousand dollars in a race gun and gear.

I'll put in another vote for the Glock 34. Fantastic gun. Comp-tac holster and mag pouches.

I'll also add that I find that having a consistent trigger pull, as opposed to DA/SA, made a huge difference for me in matches.

Another option is to get your Beretta accurized with a match barrel, adjustable sights, and work done on the trigger. I just got mine back from David Sams (samscustomgunworksusa.com) and I'm very happy with the results. He custom fits the match barrel and the gun is now very accurate. He can also do a full workup by fitting the slide, but that was beyond my budget. Before I got the work done, I was happy to just keep my shots on the paper at 50 feet, now I can pretty easily put them into a 5 inch group.

So I'm about to get into IDPA next month at the GOAL clinic. I guess I'm confused with what people are shooting. I was planning to use my M&P9c with a Greg Derr trigger. Would i need to alter it further to make it more competitive?

If your goal is to shoot your conceal carry gun for practice your M&P9c is fine. If your goal is to be competitive you're better off with a full size or long slide M&P (or Glock). If you are just starting out shoot what you've got.

Back
Top Bottom