Suggestions for a .22 pistol

I'm looking for suggestions for a .22 pistol semi-auto. Just for training and informal target shooting.

It should:

operate with almost any .22 LR ammo, I don't want a jam-o-matic (nobody does)
made by a quailty manufacturer
well balanced
cost under $400.00 NIB

Thanks for any and all advice.

I have gone through a few that didn't work for me you know the newest and greatest. I bought a Ruger 22/45 9 years ago it is my go to 22 it eats every thing is very accurate and fun to shoot. I put it in the range bag so I can keep shooting when the big stuff is gone. My wife and nephews love this gun and I cant remember how many people I have started with it.

Just a note of its life Ive probably put more then 30,000rds through it and it still works like new. I know it sounds like a lot but my nephews don't stop shooting untill the ammo or sun are gone[grin].

It is tricky to put back together but once you know the trick its easy.

S&W 22A

I recently purchased a S&W 22A with a 5.5 barrel and I'm pleased with it.
Accuracy is good and it seems to shoot most manufacturer ammo well.

I purchased mine on-line through Larry's Pawn and Gun for $199.00 and they offered FREE shipping. Link below:
http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=46094

So far I've tried Federal bulk, Federal Champion, Federal Champion Target, Remington bulk, Remington Thunderbolt, Winchester 333, CCI Mini-mag etc.
I'd guess I have 2K round through mine and no problems so far.

I just checked the websire and they still have them listed for $199.00.

Bob

ruger MKIII taking it apart isnt as hard as peoplethink , once u understand how the magazine saftey work its a cinch

I got my GF one of these also.
Works great, although it's fussy and wants only good ammo.

She loves it!

It's so popular that finding extra mags for it is tough.

I recently purchased a S&W 22A with a 5.5 barrel and I'm pleased with it.
Accuracy is good and it seems to shoot most manufacturer ammo well.

I purchased mine on-line through Larry's Pawn and Gun for $199.00 and they offered FREE shipping. Link below:
http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=46094

So far I've tried Federal bulk, Federal Champion, Federal Champion Target, Remington bulk, Remington Thunderbolt, Winchester 333, CCI Mini-mag etc.
I'd guess I have 2K round through mine and no problems so far.

I just checked the websire and they still have them listed for $199.00.

Bob

I got my GF one of these also.
Works great, although it's fussy and wants only good ammo.

She loves it!

tell me bout it. I have one with no mags (bought it used) and I am having a hell of a time getting mags. How lame.

Have a Mk1 and a couple of Mkll's that will eat anything. Friend just bought a Mklll and it ftf and fte 2 to 3 times every mag. 2 diff mags.

My Mark III is extremely accurate and reliable. Reassembly is very difficult at first but gets easier as you get the hang of it. There are videos on youtube that show you how to do it. The manual is not all that great.

The 22A is a good shooter and my conversion kit on a Colt is nearly as accurate as my model 41. I have no experience with Ruger .22 auto pistols.

Thanks to all that replied.

A special thank you for the guys that offered to let me try their Ruger MKIII. I just emailed Carl at 4 Seasons and asked what he had in stock.

tell me bout it. I have one with no mags (bought it used) and I am having a hell of a time getting mags. How lame.

Order them from Midway. They are on backorder but expected on 1/4/10, so you can get the sale price and they will queue B/Os so it will be a short delay 1-2 weeks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=615817

-----------

I bought the Ruger MKIII, 22/45 for training purposes. First time reassembly took me 15 minutes due to not getting it right the first time. If you pay attention, after 1 or 2x it should go together easily.

ETA: I also use an AA .22 conversion kit on my Wife's G17 and a Ciener conversion kit on a 1911. Both conversion kits will only shoot reliably with specific ammo.

Last edited:
Order them from Midway. They are on backorder but expected on 1/4/10, so you can get the sale price and they will queue B/Os so it will be a short delay 1-2 weeks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=615817

-----------

I bought the Ruger MKIII, 22/45 for training purposes. First time reassembly took me 15 minutes due to not getting it right the first time. If you pay attention, after 1 or 2x it should go together easily.

ETA: I also use an AA .22 conversion kit on my Wife's G17 and a Ciener conversion kit on a 1911. Both conversion kits will only shoot reliably with specific ammo.

They are more expensive, but Brownells has them in stock for $27.99

If that was a Ruger Mark III that you can't find mags for, try cheaperthandirt.com. I recently bought a few for my Mark II. They have Ruger Mark III OEM mags for about $17 each. I've only made one purchase from this company, but I didn't have any problems and would try them again.

Ron

If that was a Ruger Mark III that you can't find mags for, try cheaperthandirt.com. I recently bought a few for my Mark II. They have Ruger Mark III OEM mags for about $17 each. I've only made one purchase from this company, but I didn't have any problems and would try them again.

Ron

It was S&W 22A mags they were looking for.

Back
Top Bottom