• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stupid things gun counter clerks say

Regarding showing ID at Shooter's (or elsewhere in a free state), don't they need to check for residency? Is it legal for them to sell ammo to someone from MA who doesn't have an LTC?
It is legal as mass law has no bearing in nh. But many gun shops up there ask for mass ltc....cuz mass!

Regarding showing ID at Shooter's (or elsewhere in a free state), don't they need to check for residency? Is it legal for them to sell ammo to someone from MA who doesn't have an LTC?

In regards to selling ammo, residency is irrelevant. That's federal law. Only state law that needs to be followed is the state the purchase is made in.

Hmm... handguns then? Federally an out of stater has to go through an FFL but what if there is no license required in the state of purchase? E.g. if I'm buying a handgun in VT - state law requires no license but would the dealer have to check my residency to make sure they're not violating federal law?

You really need to fully read that link.

Handguns may only be purchased in your state of residence.

Ammo and long arms may be purchased in any state that allows it.

And, a dealer will ALWAYS check your ID prior to selling you a firearm. Only certain ID's are valid for NICS check purposes. Driver's license is the preferred ID.

Last week at my range a member came up to sight a rifle in, I was setting up for the Pumpkin shoot. I mentioned there would be machine guns and was trying to get him interested in NES. His response:

"Machine guns? Wow, I didn't even know people could own those!" In that tone that only a person who thinks it shouldn't be legal can use. [rolleyes]

Yeah, I pretty much ended the conversation after assuring him yes, you can if you can afford it.

Last week at my range a member came up to sight a rifle in, I was setting up for the Pumpkin shoot. I mentioned there would be machine guns and was trying to get him interested in NES. His response:

"Machine guns? Wow, I didn't even know people could own those!" In that tone that only a person who thinks it shouldn't be legal can use. [rolleyes]

Yeah, I pretty much ended the conversation after assuring him yes, you can if you can afford it.

if he only knew the levels of debauchery which have gone down right where he was standing maybe he would relinquish his membership and we could get another freedom lover into the club. [cheers]

Wasn't he sighting a black powder rifle too?

It is legal as mass law has no bearing in nh. But many gun shops up there ask for mass ltc....cuz mass!

I went with my wife to my preferred shop for getting shotgun shells in NH she asked if they were going to have a problem since she didn't have her license. I told her, they don't even care about looking at MY ID. The guy who owns the shop remembers selling me a shotgun, thats good enough proof that its legal to sell me shells ....

The stupidest thing the guy said there was that I should get my wife a shotgun so she can shoot trap with me. I mean talk about a bad idea!

Federally, yes, same thing. State laws may vary, but they are still only applicable in that state. Much as politicians in MA, NY and NJ wish it was otherwise, their laws do not apply in NH, VT and PA.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58686/download

Not so, I suggest reading the Fed law/regs again on selling to NRs. To paraphrase it: the sale of a long gun must be legal in the location the sale takes place in AND it must be legal for the buyer to possess it wherever s/he resides. So if the gun wouldn't be legal in MA (or Boston for those that live there), it would be a violation of his FFL to sell the gun to that person.

Not so, I suggest reading the Fed law/regs again on selling to NRs. To paraphrase it: the sale of a long gun must be legal in the location the sale takes place in AND it must be legal for the buyer to possess it wherever s/he resides. So if the gun wouldn't be legal in MA (or Boston for those that live there), it would be a violation of his FFL to sell the gun to that person.
That's what I thought, hence my question about checking ID to verify residency.

Yeah i guess i'm so used to the showing of my LTC at Wally world or Bass pro here in MA, that showing my LTC at Shooter's does not bother me as much as some people. It only makes me pleasantly surprised when i don't need to show my ID at Riley's or Collectable's.

Uh oh... this is what Stockholm syndrome feels like.... [sad]

Federally, yes, same thing. State laws may vary, but they are still only applicable in that state. Much as politicians in MA, NY and NJ wish it was otherwise, their laws do not apply in NH, VT and PA.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58686/download

Sort of.... The fed laws do require compliance with laws in other states in some circumstances, for instance when selling a rifle to someone who lives in another state the rifle has to be legal in that person's state:

It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver.....any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery or other disposition, unless the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance; any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental

Sell, yes, with certain caveats. Rent, with the firearm not going to the state that prohibits it, I'll bet you're wrong.

shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Yeah, it's a very gray area, not fully understood by many.

And, yes, a MA resident can NOT get around the law by buying a firearm that's legal in NH, not in MA, then transporting it to MA. Both the FFL and the purchaser are both guilty there.

That said, I was (clearly) referring to the dealer outside MA requiring the purchaser from MA to show an FID or LTC. I think you'll find that just isn't so. Driver's license yes. DL does have the state of residency.

Since the dealer must make sure that the firearm is legal for the buyer to possess in the buyer's home state, wouldn't that necessitate the checking of an LTC?

Since the dealer must make sure that the firearm is legal for the buyer to possess in the buyer's home state, wouldn't that necessitate the checking of an LTC?
Handguns would need to be shipped to the buyers home state ffl anyway. Long guns as long as the buyer is legal to possess in state of purchase and state of residence most shops will sell it to you. Private sale however between state lines requires an ffl to be involved at one end.....buyer or sellers state.

that last one drives me nuts. I bought a bolt action rifle from a friend two years ago. We deployed to combat together....he ****ing knows me. He coulda sold that rifle to anyone in the state of nh with a nh drivers license legally. But because he is 8 miles north of me in nh i had to transfer at a ffl. So ****in dumb

Last edited:
guy at Four Seasons says to my friend new glocks are illegal....

needless to say i corrected my friend and now he went and bought his first glock, and won't be shopping at FS for stuff.

Walmart.. I know I know.. Walmart LOL but this was priceless.

Customer: Where are the BB Guns?
Wally Clerk: Do don't sell BB Guns and no Walmart in MA sells them.
Customer: Thank you

LMAO -- North Attleboro Wally World. I went there the other day and they have a PALLET of Red Ryder and bucks for sale. I guess times have change?

guy at Four Seasons says to my friend new glocks are illegal....

needless to say i corrected my friend and now he went and bought his first glock, and won't be shopping at FS for stuff.
Well, I think they are illegal for FS to sell to non-LEOs.

Well, I think they are illegal for FS to sell to non-LEOs.

Yeah, but the way a TON of shops in MA pitch this is that they are illegal to own, either due to ignorance of the clerk or a desire to drive the consumer to buy stuff they have in stock in the store. Or even if they don't say it that way, when a clerk says "New glocks are illegal in MA" what do you think the typical joe bonehead customer is going to believe?

-Mike

You really need to fully read that link.

Handguns may only be purchased in your state of residence.

Ammo and long arms may be purchased in any state that allows it.

And, a dealer will ALWAYS check your ID prior to selling you a firearm. Only certain ID's are valid for NICS check purposes. Driver's license is the preferred ID.

Not exactly. I can buy a handgun anywhere. I've even bought a handgun in Mass before. I can only take possession in my home state after a dealer transfer, but the actual purchase happens wherever the gun is.

Back
Top Bottom