• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stupid CCW Tricks

OK, this is almost to embarrassing to post, but hopefully somewone will benefit.

I carry a S&W 340M&P most of the time, and I always make it a habit to flip open the cylinder and look at the ammo before I holster it and head out. I've been doing that for years, to the point I don't think the result could be any different. However, a few days ago I went to Harvard early morning to use the indoor range, and I emptied the gun afterward and stowed the gun while at work. Then that night I threw the gun in the safe. That was a few days ago, and for some reason, I stopped my ritual. Well, this morning, before heading out, it occurred to me that I'd been doing that, and flipped the gun open -- to find it empty! In other words, I've been carrying concealed and walking around the house for about 2 days with an EMPTY GUN!! Back to the "stupid" ritual, and never will I drop even 1 of the others.

Something similar happened a few weeks ago. I went to Physical Therapy and I unloaded and internally locked the revolver and put it away. Well I carried all day and I only realized I'd been carrying a locked revolver the next morning.

Something similar happened a few weeks ago. I went to Physical Therapy and I unloaded and internally locked the revolver and put it away. Well I carried all day and I only realized I'd been carrying a locked revolver the next morning.

This is why internal locks are bad. [wink]

-Mike

My friend locks his ruger and then ends up carrying it like that all the time.\
+1

I never use the internal locks. The only time that key ever goes in the internal locks in things like an HK or a S+W is to make sure it's disabled. [laugh]

-Mike

I did that once with my 1911. I chambered a round, took out the mag to top it off and then put that mag into the mag holder on my belt. I carried the gun all day with only one round in it and no mag. It felt kind of light. [smile]

Officer: "What did you do at that point."
CCW guy: " I pointed my revolver at the perp and yelled BANG, BANG you are dead"
Office: "then what happened"
CCW guy: " The perp took my revolver, shoved it up my a** and ran off with my wallet and gold watch"

Having been there...

I tie my chamber check to another action (do chamber check, kick desk leg barefoot - yeah, it's stupid, but kicking the desk leg barefoot requires attention so as to not bust a toe, so I don't do it unconsciously).

Same for locking the safe (grab light switch and look at safe door to make sure it's shut).

Linking two rituals makes missing one less likely.

I did something nearly that stupid once.
I carried a stainless PPK for close to 10 years in an IWB holster. The checkering on the plastic grips were worn nearly smooth, so I picked up a set of Rosewood grips at a gun show for it. The show was in the Winter so it was well over a month before I actually got out to the range to fire the PPK with the new grips. When I did, I was in for a big surprise. The gun went bang on the first shot, then nothing. The hammer followed the slide down and the trigger did not reset. WTF ???? I was scratching my head on this one. It turns out the the inletting on the new grips wasn't quite what it should have been and the inside of the grips were contacting some of the action parts and causing them to hang up. i put the old grips back on and the problem went away. I didn't exactly get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that I was carrying a "one shooter" for several weeks. [frown]

Having been there...

I tie my chamber check to another action (do chamber check, kick desk leg barefoot - yeah, it's stupid, but kicking the desk leg barefoot requires attention so as to not bust a toe, so I don't do it unconsciously).

Same for locking the safe (grab light switch and look at safe door to make sure it's shut).

Linking two rituals makes missing one less likely.

I do something similar with my safe. Close the door, lock it. Spin the dial backwards to 0, then shake the handle a couple times.

I do something similar with my safe. Close the door, lock it. Spin the dial backwards to 0, then shake the handle a couple times.
What no hokey-pokey?

[wink]

Well, geez, can't we just look at our "round loaded indicator" on our mass compliant firearms?[laugh]

Knowing the way MA does things, this is likely to be the only thing that ever fails on my weapon [rofl2]

I'm sure it will be a felony on me the day my red paint wears off due to cleaning[thinking]

Don't worry today I had a double screw up. I packed up for the range and when I got there I realized I brought my Beretta but all the magazines I brought were for my CZ. Also I bought a box of 20 ga shotgun shells by accident at wallyworld when I really needed 12ga.

But my carry gun was loaded the whole time.....

Ah yes the good ole leave the mags @ home... I'll be honest and say if you do it once you will NEVER do it again. I remember I went out to some farm land I have and intended on sighting in my scope. Well I was so occupied with the scope I forgot my magazines. So it was a pain in the ass to feed each round into the autoloading chamber by hand after each shot. Needless to say I didn't get to zero in too well that day.

Many years ago, I went Christmas shopping with the GF smd her mother. He uncle was a cop in town and not a rookie. He was on the detail at this large department store where were going shopping to direct traffic.

He stopped me on the way in and asked me to wait a minute while the women went into the store as he needed a favor. After the women left he asked me to take a ride to his house. The front door should be unlocked - if his wife was not home - reach up on top of the fridge and retrieve his pistol and holster and grab six bullets from the mug on top of the TV.

When I got to his house, his wife was home and when I explained why I was there, she said "Again!"

Don't forget. The 'reverse' of these stories is sometimes true. My friends and I always call each other if someone hands us a gun with the action closed. One day my buddy took his new .38 out of the safe. He handed it to me action with the action closed. My other pal yelled at him to open it up. He says 'don't worry it's not loaded'. Of course when I open it up there were 5 shiny rounds in there.

MY old hunting buddy used to say. "Empty guns kill a lot of people so you might as well go ahead and put a bullet in that thing."

Don't forget. The 'reverse' of these stories is sometimes true. My friends and I always call each other if someone hands us a gun with the action closed. One day my buddy took his new .38 out of the safe. He handed it to me action with the action closed. My other pal yelled at him to open it up. He says 'don't worry it's not loaded'. Of course when I open it up there were 5 shiny rounds in there.

MY old hunting buddy used to say. "Empty guns kill a lot of people so you might as well go ahead and put a bullet in that thing."

Welcome to the forum !

This incident reinforces the first rule:
Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.

I tend to play switch a roo with my carry guns right before i head out the door never can decide what to carry

After doing committing some of the errors mentioned before, I've adopted this procedure for myself:

NEVER holster an empty gun.

If at a match, I'll wait for the SO / RO talk me through the -unload, slide forward, hammer down (as a sighted dry fire), and holster commands- I won't let holstering an empty gun become a self induced conditioned response.

I've seen shooters at IPSC / IDPA matches finish the stage, then clear their gun and reholster with as much speed and efficiency as they did drawing and firing.

I don't think you should ever be in a hurry to clear your gun or reholster it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom