Stripping/refinishing wood stocks.

So I plan on getting a wood stock set for my WASR-10 and refinishing it myself. But I need to practice. I have the buttstock off of a mossberg 500 that I can practice on, but I need to strip the old finish off first. Does anyone have any tips/tricks?

i use oven cleaner ( in the blue can) to strip AK stocks of the old varnish.

for MIlsurp wood stocks, I use a mixture of 1/3 linseed oil, 1/3 turpentine, 1/3 bees wax. carefullt melt it all together and mix....makes a liquidy paste...smear on the wood and work it in, leave overnight, wipe off and repeat as many times as required, final buff to a shine.

When I do a Romi AK stock I use this: http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=112

Some coarse steel wool and a plastic scraper works to get all the old finish off. Then once its cleaned I buff it down with some light sandpaper like 220 grit, clean again and start applying satin finish spray polyurethane. Let it dry in between coats and smooth out any imperfections with fine sandpaper 400 grit is ok. It takes several coats to build up a nice finish but the results are worth it.

RomakCal.jpg

I got some planks of wood from the local liquor store (pieces of broken down wine boxes). I'm doing a test of different mixes of stain and dye (minwax sedona red and Rit Scarlet Dye). Once its done I'll post up the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom