Strange CCW question

kurtb

NES Member
Lets say I have a laptop bag .. and in that bag I have my Kel-Tec Sub2000 folded up - just in case I need something like that. Would this scenario be considered a legal CCW if the bag (not locked - just a laptop bag) is over my shoulder and in my direct contol at all times. Mind you, this rifle has only a 10 round magazine. I kind of see it as the equivelent of a big shoulder holster with a large-ish sized gun in it. Its not a high capacity mag and the rifle remains concealed at all times.

This of course is hypothetical ...

Thanks

Kurtb

i don't see how this is strange. as long as you aren't going to rob a store or shoot up a mall.

what is the difference between this and "off the body" carry via man purse???

with that said,

i'd probably go with a pistol and hi-cap mags.

IANAL and most likely wrong [rofl]

Typically, off body carry is fine, as long as it's always always always under your direct control. I looked quickly, but couldn't find any reason you can't carry a loaded rifle concealed, but I actually thought there was such a restriction on public roads. I'd check on this carefully.

Interesting thought, how about a 7" upper SBR? Or would that have to locked? I have seen a lot of legit discrete carry bags coming out lately and was wondering about this myself.

I'd watch it. One problem is this is not a handgun under MGL and an entirely different set of rules apply here.

-Mike

Just like this:

discreet-firepower-kel-tec-sub2000-carbine-500x500.jpg

She seems happy - I want to be happy too! [smile]

I don't understand the handgun thing, my license says "to carry firearm". Does it state somewhere that I am only allowed to carry a handgun?

I don't understand the handgun thing, my license says "to carry firearm". Does it state somewhere that I am only allowed to carry a handgun?

No, not explicitly, it's just that there are a different set of laws pertaining to rifles and shotguns vs handguns.

For example, carrying a loaded rifle in a motor vehicle in MA is generally illegal.... where the same cannot be said when an LTC-A holder is carrying a loaded handgun in a car under their direct control.

-Mike

IANAL, but doesn't the MGL specifically say openly carrying a rifle or shotgun is prohibited, outside of the enumerated exceptions. If the OP wants to be the test case for that, he's welcome to try.

IANAL, but doesn't the MGL specifically say openly carrying a rifle or shotgun is prohibited, outside of the enumerated exceptions. If the OP wants to be the test case for that, he's welcome to try.

Which is why I stupulated that said rifle would be inside a bag at all times - it would be fully concealed. I would rather not test the law and find out the hard way. This question came to be because I simply wondered if there is any general confusion about an answer or whether it is cut and dry. I'm still not sure what the answer is - but I am sure as hell not going to sacrifice myself in order to gather a clarification via my local LEO...[wink]

I think that different states have different concealed carry laws as to what can or cannot be concealed. For example, in VA and many other states, they issue concealed handgun permits. So, I can conceal a handgun pretty much everywhere (with some limited exceptions) but I cannot conceal a shotgun or rifle. The permit does not grant that privilege.

Certain cities also have local ordinances prohibiting the carrying of loaded rifles and shotguns in any vehicle (largely, I think, to be able arrest those who are poaching).

Last edited:

well here is the definition of "Firearm" as per MGL Chapter 140: Section 121.

“Firearm”, a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

so i guess what we need to know is, how long is the barrel on the SUB2000?

well here is the definition of "Firearm" as per MGL Chapter 140: Section 121.

so i guess what we need to know is, how long is the barrel on the SUB2000?

KEL-TEC SUB-2000 CARBINE

SPECIFICATIONS

WEIGHT: 4 pounds

LENGTH, OPEN: 30 inches

LENGTH, STOWED: 16 inches

HEIGHT, STOWED: 7 inches

WIDTH: 2 inches

BARREL LENGTH: 16.1 inches

SIGHT RADIUS: 14.5 inches

MAGAZINE CAPACITY: 10 rounds, supplied

I thought in general anything classified by law as a rifle could not be carried loaded except in certain circumstances, IE: hunting.

If it is legal I might buy that shoulder harness for my MP5K after all [grin]

So a stamped SBR, shorter then 16", would be legit to carry in a laptop bag or some other concealment case as long as it was slung on my shoulder?

Not that I will, just curious.

Can't carry an uncased long gun on a "public way" at any time, loaded or not, unless you are in a parade.

Also hunting laws (whole another Ch. in MGLs) have further restrictions on possessing long guns in woods, fields, etc.

Can't carry an uncased long gun on a "public way" at any time, loaded or not, unless you are in a parade.

Also hunting laws (whole another Ch. in MGLs) have further restrictions on possessing long guns in woods, fields, etc.

So what does uncased mean? Does my laptop bad from the original post count as "cased"?

Back
Top Bottom