• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing handguns on my safe door. A project that I wanted to share.

I have had a Browning Medallion safe for nearly 20 years. The floor had warped and I decided to replace it. In order to do it right, I had to remove the side shelves. I stripped off the old carpeting and cut two new pieces for the floor. I then replaced the original carpet. I left the full width top shelf in place but I didn’t want to replace the four side shelves. They restricted air flow from the Golden Rod and they were pretty much useless for storing the handguns. I wanted to store them on the safe door. I checked online sources and found that safe door organizers were expensive and didn’t hold many guns so I decided to make something better. I went to Lowes and found the Rubbermaid Fastrack organizer. I got:
1 - [FONT=&amp]48" FastTrack Rail: [/FONT](#5G76), [FONT=&amp]4 - Multi-Purpose Hook: [/FONT](#5E11), And a package of #12 ¾” sheet metal screws. The whole package cost right around $50.00. Each hook can hold up to five handguns but some of the larger ones needed more space...

http://www.rubbermaid.com/category/...on&SubCatId=FastTrackGarageOrganizationSystem

I cut the FastTrack rail into two 21 inch long pieces using a Dremel tool. I then cut the cover into two 21.5 inch pieces so that they would extend past the rail on both sides.
I removed the safe door inner wall using a T25 Torx bit. (I didn’t want to blindly drill into the wall as I didn’t know exactly what was behind it and I didn’t want to get metal bits inside the door.) I measured down so that the loaded hooks would clear the top shelf when the door closed. I used a square and scribed two lines for the mounting screws. I drilled the holes and used eight screws in each rail. I found that the outer two interfered with the door mechanism so I removed them.
DSC00219.JPG DSC00221.JPG

I positioned the hooks far enough in from the sides so that they would not hit as the door closed and then I placed the pistols so that everyone was happy (and the door closed).
DSC00225.JPG DSC00222.JPG DSC00224.JPG

Note: the safe has to have enough space near the door so that the handguns do not hit the long guns. My rifles are closely packed along the back wall of the safe.
The whole project was done in a few hours. I am happy with the results and wanted to share.
White Feather

Not sure how to delete the image below... I rotated it as picture 5 above.

Attachments

• DSC00224.JPG
    DSC00224.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
That came out nice.
Hanwei did something similar a couple of years ago. Lights too.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

No way I could close the door on my safe, with a set-up like that. I have pistols on the door, but they're flat against it, in pockets. Nice looking, as long as it works for you, it's good!

Same here. I need to be able to close the door. But with any type of door rack system you need to figure out how the door can shut and that is first a function of where the shelves are. In any event, great solution if it works for you. For me, I use pockets that protect each individual pistol and keep them flush against the door so it can close.

Same here. I need to be able to close the door. But with any type of door rack system you need to figure out how the door can shut and that is first a function of where the shelves are. In any event, great solution if it works for you. For me, I use pockets that protect each individual pistol and keep them flush against the door so it can close.
curious how that is in the humid months. Yes I have a dehumidifier but the fabric must trap some moisture

True. I took the side shelves out as I didn't like them. The P238 and 27 (smaller pistols) are placed on the outside of the right rack so they don't hit the door as it closes. If you look closely, picture 5 had the P9 behind the 27 but when I went to close the door, it (P9) hit the door frame. Picture 3 with the Bearcat behind the 27 was taken after picture 5. Door closes fine. Each of the four racks can hold up to five handguns (if they are small) and is rated for 50 pounds. The air pistol and XP100 were a challenge.
White Feather

curious how that is in the humid months. Yes I have a dehumidifier but the fabric must trap some moisture

Why would it trap moisture? He's not using a sealed plastic bag. Fabric breathes. Many large carpeted interior safes store handguns on the door using this method.

Back
Top Bottom