• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Store clerk kills suspect during robbery attempt

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
By Jason Morton
Staff Writer
December 30. 2005 3:15AM

TUSCALOOSA | A robbery attempt turned fatal early Thursday morning when a store manager shot and killed one of the suspects.

The manager also held a second suspect at gunpoint until police arrived.

“I was afraid my life would get taken away," said the manager, on why he shot 19-year-old Eric Dewayne Baggett of Tuscaloosa. The manager asked that his identity not be revealed.

Baggett’s alleged accomplice, Moundville resident Jamie Marcus Witherspoon, 22, was arrested at the scene and charged with first-degree robbery. He was being held at the Tuscaloosa County Jail on $20,000 bail.

Lt. Loyd Baker, commander of the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit, said investigators are consulting with the district attorney on whether additional charges, including Witherspoon’s alleged responsibility in the death of Baggett, may be filed.

Baker said that Baggett, while holding a pistol and wearing a mask, and Witherspoon entered Raceway on McFarland Boulevard about 2:15 a.m. and demanded money.

The manager, who was counting cash and bundling it for deposit when the two suspects entered, grabbed his own handgun and fired at Baggett, Baker said.

“When the suspect points his pistol at [the] clerk, the clerk shoots and kills one of the suspects," Baker said.

“Due to the obvious self-defense issues, the clerk is not being charged with any crime," Baker said, but added that the matter likely will go before a grand jury, which can indict the manager if it determines a crime occurred.

“I wasn’t sure if the bullet struck him," said the manager, who had his 29th birthday on Thursday. “But when he fell down, I knew something had happened."

Video footage captured by the store’s security cameras showed that it took less than 10 seconds from when the alleged robbers entered the business to when the shooting occurred.

Civilians are allowed to use deadly force if they believe the assailant is “committing or about to commit a kidnapping in any degree, assault in the first or second degree, burglary in any degree, robbery in any degree, forcible rape or forcible sodomy," according to state law.

“You can use reasonable force to defend people, up to and including deadly physical force, under those circumstances," said Tuscaloosa County District Attorney Tommy Smith.

The Alabama Code also allows residents to have concealed weapons in their homes and businesses with or without a permit.

While it was unclear whether the store manager had registered the weapon he used, officials urge all carriers of firearms to get a permit.

“If you have a pistol permit, I think that eliminates all the uncertainties," said Sgt. Andy Norris, spokesman for the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office, which administers the gun permits in Tuscaloosa County. “I would recommend everyone have a pistol permit if they carry a firearm, just to erase the issue of legal possession."

The National Association of Convenience Stores, however, does not advocate the resistance of robbers, thieves or other criminals.

NACS spokesman Jeff Lenard said clerks and other workers run a higher risk of being hurt if they put up resistance during a robbery attempt.

“You are 49 times more likely to have a robbery become a violent encounter if you resist," Lenard said. “Obviously, having a gun behind the counter is part of resistance.

“The best course of action, because there is nothing more valuable than human life, is to give the criminals what they want."

The manager said his original intentions were to give up the money, but he reacted out of fear.

“I was afraid," the manager said as he stared at a video-taped image of the slain robber’s gun pointed at him. “That’s why I did what I did."

Reach Jason Morton at [email protected] or (205) 722-0200.

By Jason Morton
Staff Writer

TUSCALOOSA | A robbery attempt turned fatal early Thursday morning when a store manager shot and killed one of the suspects.

“I was afraid my life would get taken away," said the manager, on why he shot 19-year-old Eric Dewayne Baggett of Tuscaloosa. The manager asked that his identity not be revealed.

Baggett’s alleged accomplice, Moundville resident Jamie Marcus Witherspoon, 22, was arrested at the scene and charged with first-degree robbery. He was being held at the Tuscaloosa County Jail on $20,000 bail.

Lt. Loyd Baker, commander of the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit, said investigators are consulting with the district attorney on whether additional charges, including Witherspoon’s alleged responsibility in the death of Baggett, may be filed.

Baker said that Baggett, while holding a pistol and wearing a mask, and Witherspoon entered Raceway on McFarland Boulevard about 2:15 a.m. and demanded money.

The manager, who was counting cash and bundling it for deposit when the two suspects entered, grabbed his own handgun and fired at Baggett, Baker said.

“When the suspect points his pistol at [the] clerk, the clerk shoots and kills one of the suspects," Baker said.

“Due to the obvious self-defense issues, the clerk is not being charged with any crime," Baker said, but added that the matter likely will go before a grand jury, which can indict the manager if it determines a crime occurred.

“I wasn’t sure if the bullet struck him," said the manager, who had his 29th birthday on Thursday. “But when he fell down, I knew something had happened."

Video footage captured by the store’s security cameras showed that it took less than 10 seconds from when the alleged robbers entered the business to when the shooting occurred.

Civilians are allowed to use deadly force if they believe the assailant is “committing or about to commit a kidnapping in any degree, assault in the first or second degree, burglary in any degree, robbery in any degree, forcible rape or forcible sodomy," according to state law.

“You can use reasonable force to defend people, up to and including deadly physical force, under those circumstances," said Tuscaloosa County District Attorney Tommy Smith.

The Alabama Code also allows residents to have concealed weapons in their homes and businesses with or without a permit.

While it was unclear whether the store manager had registered the weapon he used, officials urge all carriers of firearms to get a permit.

“If you have a pistol permit, I think that eliminates all the uncertainties," said Sgt. Andy Norris, spokesman for the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office, which administers the gun permits in Tuscaloosa County. “I would recommend everyone have a pistol permit if they carry a firearm, just to erase the issue of legal possession."

The National Association of Convenience Stores, however, does not advocate the resistance of robbers, thieves or other criminals.

NACS spokesman Jeff Lenard said clerks and other workers run a higher risk of being hurt if they put up resistance during a robbery attempt.

“You are 49 times more likely to have a robbery become a violent encounter if you resist," Lenard said. “Obviously, having a gun behind the counter is part of resistance.

“The best course of action, because there is nothing more valuable than human life, is to give the criminals what they want."

The manager said his original intentions were to give up the money, but he reacted out of fear.

“I was afraid," the manager said as he stared at a video-taped image of the slain robber’s gun pointed at him. “That’s why I did what I did."

By Jason Morton
Staff Writer

Well a couple of disturbing things in that article:

1. The good guy is still probably going to have to go before a grand jury. In Massachusetts he would have been arrested Johnny on the spot, but still in places like Alabama the Police used to give citizens commendations for what that store clerk did.

2. Even though the law there allows a person to keep a gun without a license at home or place of business, the Sheriff there 'encourages" people to get a license to "erase the issue of legal posession"...now what in the hell does that mean ?

3. The National Assn of Convenience Store spokesman's comments, especially: “The best course of action, because there is nothing more valuable than human life, is to give the criminals what they want."

I will be the first to say that being a good witness is often times the best course of action, especially if outnumbered and outgunned...but the minute the perps start ordering customers and staff on their knees or taking female customers and staff back to the storage room is exactly when you don't want to give the criminals what they want. It's attitudes such as those expounded by the NACS which bring great truth to the Chesty Puller quote that Tony uses on his posts. As many of you know I am hardly a conservative or a Republican (Nickle got me labled correctly...moderate with a slightly leftist bent) but Old Chesty was right. You see, Britain has adopted that policy of giving the criminals what they want and the police over there do such a fine job of protecting Her Majesty's Subjects, don't you know, which is why the rate of violent crimes are higher there than ever.

I hope that the clerk gets a no-bill from the grand jury. He should.

Mark

1. The good guy is still probably going to have to go before a grand jury. In Massachusetts he would have been arrested Johnny on the spot, but still in places like Alabama the Police used to give citizens commendations for what that store clerk did.

2. Even though the law there allows a person to keep a gun without a license at home or place of business, the Sheriff there 'encourages" people to get a license to "erase the issue of legal posession"...now what in the hell does that mean ?

3. The National Assn of Convenience Store spokesman's comments, especially: “The best course of action, because there is nothing more valuable than human life, is to give the criminals what they want."

I will be the first to say that being a good witness is often times the best course of action, especially if outnumbered and outgunned...but the minute the perps start ordering customers and staff on their knees or taking female customers and staff back to the storage room is exactly when you don't want to give the criminals what they want. It's attitudes such as those expounded by the NACS which bring great truth to the Chesty Puller quote that Tony uses on his posts. As many of you know I am hardly a conservative or a Republican (Nickle got me labled correctly...moderate with a slightly leftist bent) but Old Chesty was right. You see, Britain has adopted that policy of giving the criminals what they want and the police over there do such a fine job of protecting Her Majesty's Subjects, don't you know, which is why the rate of violent crimes are higher there than ever.

Mark

Mark

How refreshing to actually read something like this.

BTW - Mark - on the "get a license" comment you made. I would assume that it makes it easier to determine if the individual is a BG. If he's got a license, then he's most likely been put through a background check first. Or were you being sarcastic and I didn't catch it? If so, then....nevermind. :D

BTW - Mark - on the "get a license" comment you made. I would assume that it makes it easier to determine if the individual is a BG. If he's got a license, then he's most likely been put through a background check first. Or were you being sarcastic and I didn't catch it? If so, then....nevermind. :D

Many years ago, I used to work in a convenience store. I was never more nervous than on holiday weekends when we had $7K-$8K in the store safe by Monday. It made me want to have my friends Smith & Wesson with me.

Of course, in NJ that would be illegal, since the subjects in NJ are not allowed to have concealed weapons. [roll]

Many years ago, I used to work in a convenience store. I was never more nervous than on holiday weekends when we had $7K-$8K in the store safe by Monday. It made me want to have my friends Smith & Wesson with me.

Of course, in NJ that would be illegal, since the subjects in NJ are not allowed to have concealed weapons. [roll]

Convenience store clerk is one of the most dangerous jobs out there. I saw a list of dangerous jobs, and IIRC, clerks ranked in the top five. I would NOT work at a job like that without my .40 - with or without permission.

Convenience store clerk is one of the most dangerous jobs out there. I saw a list of dangerous jobs, and IIRC, clerks ranked in the top five. I would NOT work at a job like that without my .40 - with or without permission.

Convienence store clerk is always in the top 10 of the most dangerous jobs. I think the Bureau of Labor keeps those statistics, but I'm not sure.

Lumberjacking and Commercial Fishing are always first and second on the list, but they sometimes swap positions.

Police officer makes it's sometimes, but not always.

Firefighter never makes it.

Gary

Convienence store clerk is always in the top 10 of the most dangerous jobs. I think the Bureau of Labor keeps those statistics, but I'm not sure.

Lumberjacking and Commercial Fishing are always first and second on the list, but they sometimes swap positions.

Gary

Gary

One that I never see on that list is working on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier during flight operations. That somehow doesn't makethe list although it is the most dangerous day to day job in a non-firefight setting in the military.

One that I never see on that list is working on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier during flight operations. That somehow doesn't makethe list although it is the most dangerous day to day job in a non-firefight setting in the military.

Back
Top Bottom