Store clerk kills suspect during robbery attempt

"BTW - Mark - on the "get a license" comment you made. I would assume that it makes it easier to determine if the individual is a BG. If he's got a license, then he's most likely been put through a background check first. "

No, I am very serious about this. I have lived in states where you could lawfully keep a gun in your home, or business or in your automobile (GA, AZ, CO, TX, AK) without any kind of license. The idea of having a license before you can even buy a gun is a concept totally foreign to me, and except for carrying concealed, I don't believe there should even be licenses, in fact I think Vermont is the only state that has got it totally right. The fact that some sheriff down in Alabama thinks people should get licensed even though it is not required except for concealed carry is a total abomination to me. In the South and the Southwest in times past, for the top lawman of the county to make such a statement would have gotten him voted out of office...so even in Alabama our law enforcement friends think licensing is a good idea. This shows how times and attitudes are changing even in staunch gun "red' states.

We already have enough "background checks" in our lives as it is, 1984 is much more of a reality than what the general public thinks.

Imagine fellow gun owners of the Commonwealth, walking into a gun store, meeting the Fedral requirements and leaving with said gun, no muss, no fuss, no license, no trigger lock. I can tell you from experience it is a great feeling if you have not experienced it. A strange comment, I suppose from a non-conservative, but nevertheless true.

Mark

"BTW - Mark - on the "get a license" comment you made. I would assume that it makes it easier to determine if the individual is a BG. If he's got a license, then he's most likely been put through a background check first. "

No, I am very serious about this. I have lived in states where you could lawfully keep a gun in your home, or business or in your automobile (GA, AZ, CO, TX, AK) without any kind of license. The idea of having a license before you can even buy a gun is a concept totally foreign to me, and except for carrying concealed, I don't believe there should even be licenses, in fact I think Vermont is the only state that has got it totally right. The fact that some sheriff down in Alabama thinks people should get licensed even though it is not required except for concealed carry is a total abomination to me. In the South and the Southwest in times past, for the top lawman of the county to make such a statement would have gotten him voted out of office...so even in Alabama our law enforcement friends think licensing is a good idea. This shows how times and attitudes are changing even in staunch gun "red' states.

We already have enough "background checks" in our lives as it is, 1984 is much more of a reality than what the general public thinks.

Imagine fellow gun owners of the Commonwealth, walking into a gun store, meeting the Fedral requirements and leaving with said gun, no muss, no fuss, no license, no trigger lock. I can tell you from experience it is a great feeling if you have not experienced it. A strange comment, I suppose from a non-conservative, but nevertheless true.

Mark

Mark

mark056 said:
Imagine fellow gun owners of the Commonwealth, walking into a gun store, meeting the Fedral requirements and leaving with said gun, no muss, no fuss, no license, no trigger lock. I can tell you from experience it is a great feeling if you have not experienced it. .

Oh...you mean the concept of Nirvana? I've read about that in fantasy books.

[lol] [wink]

Lynne said:
Convenience store clerk is one of the most dangerous jobs out there. I saw a list of dangerous jobs, and IIRC, clerks ranked in the top five. I would NOT work at a job like that without my .40 - with or without permission.

My father-in-law used to own a liquor store. That place got held up ALL THE TIME.

**shakes head**

-Weer'd Beard

Lynne said:
Convenience store clerk is one of the most dangerous jobs out there. I saw a list of dangerous jobs, and IIRC, clerks ranked in the top five. I would NOT work at a job like that without my .40 - with or without permission.

My father-in-law used to own a liquor store. That place got held up ALL THE TIME.

**shakes head**

-Weer'd Beard

Lynne said:

**shakes head**

-Weer'd Beard

In Massachusetts he would have been arrested Johnny on the spot

Not necessarily.

There was an incident in Arlington, early in 2002 as I recall. (It actually happened the same day that Mitt Romney made a pre-candidacy appearance in Belmont, if someone wants to research the news archives; I believe the incident occured on Silk Street.) A guy entered a house down the street from his (through an open front door) and approached the woman inside in a menacing manner. She grabbed a small auto that was, apparently, in a coffee table drawer or something like that, and told him to get out. He continued approaching her. She capped one or two rounds and hit the guy, though not fatally.

This happened around 1400 or so. By the time I got home (about 1600 or so), Arlington PD had issued a statement completely exonerating the homeowner.

I'm pretty sure I recall that the intruder was later tried and convicted of some offense. In general, it is SOP in Massachusetts (and also in many other states) to put any defensive shooting to the Grand Jury, simply because a Grand Jury's return of "No Bill" puts a stamp of approval on the no-prosecution outcome and serves as an effective means of closing the file. I do not recall that this was done in this case, though it might well have been.

Not necessarily.

There was an incident in Arlington, early in 2002 as I recall. (It actually happened the same day that Mitt Romney made a pre-candidacy appearance in Belmont, if someone wants to research the news archives; I believe the incident occured on Silk Street.) A guy entered a house down the street from his (through an open front door) and approached the woman inside in a menacing manner. She grabbed a small auto that was, apparently, in a coffee table drawer or something like that, and told him to get out. He continued approaching her. She capped one or two rounds and hit the guy, though not fatally.

This happened around 1400 or so. By the time I got home (about 1600 or so), Arlington PD had issued a statement completely exonerating the homeowner.

I'm pretty sure I recall that the intruder was later tried and convicted of some offense. In general, it is SOP in Massachusetts (and also in many other states) to put any defensive shooting to the Grand Jury, simply because a Grand Jury's return of "No Bill" puts a stamp of approval on the no-prosecution outcome and serves as an effective means of closing the file. I do not recall that this was done in this case, though it might well have been.

Not necessarily.

RKG,

I'm surprised she wasn't charged with "improper storage" if the gun was unlocked, loaded and in a table drawer!

That's what a lot of PDs near me would have done as a minimum.

RKG,

I'm surprised she wasn't charged with "improper storage" if the gun was unlocked, loaded and in a table drawer!

RKG,

Actually, the exonerated shooter had virtually nothing going for her: she was female, of a different "lifestyle," and new in town. Also, the invader was a local kid and was unarmed (as things turned out), though (as things turned out) he was also a bit coked up.

As for the storage point, I guess for some reason or another, that was overlooked.

I'm not touting this example as either the right way or the wrong way to handle such a situation, only a report of something that happened.

Actually, the exonerated shooter had virtually nothing going for her: she was female, of a different "lifestyle," and new in town. Also, the invader was a local kid and was unarmed (as things turned out), though (as things turned out) he was also a bit coked up.

As for the storage point, I guess for some reason or another, that was overlooked.

I'm not touting this example as either the right way or the wrong way to handle such a situation, only a report of something that happened.

When I was a teen working at a gas station, the owner always told me to give the robber what ever he wanted and then shoot him in the back with the 12ga that was stored loaded under the counter as he ran out the door!

When I was a teen working at a gas station, the owner always told me to give the robber what ever he wanted and then shoot him in the back with the 12ga that was stored loaded under the counter as he ran out the door!

Back
Top Bottom