Storage Requirements?

I'd be interested to know as well. Too bad there are no NH gun lawyers who post on this forum on a regular basis.

This is just my opinion (IANAL): It makes sense to me that the definition of a dwelling in Chapter 627 applies to chapter 159 since dwelling is not defined there but is defined somewhere else (Ch 627).

Are there any laws or regulations in NH on storing rifles or handguns? Even if there are no requirements, I assume that there is always the danger of a civil suit, correct?

My context is hiking and camping. Open carry (or concealed with no ammunition on person) seems legal even without a concealed carry permit, but what happens over night?
I have a stupid question, Why on God's green Earth would you want to carry a concealed UNLOADED weapon even if it were legal for you to do so?

I have a stupid question, Why on God's green Earth would you want to carry a concealed UNLOADED weapon even if it were legal for you to do so?

If it's the only legal way to do it I suppose it's better than nothing.

Ah - when you transport it e.g. in a backpack.

All - thanks a bunch for the suggestions/help.

Sorry to resurect an old thread. What are the laws in NH relative to storage in a vehicle?

For example, if I were to keep my firearm in my trunk parked at a NH airport while on vacation, is this ok? Does it need to be locked and unloaded. I have a NH non-resident CCW.

Also, is this advisable if I have a MA LTC? Afraid if someone were to break in and steal this gun, this could cause suitability issues.

Thanks

Nope, doesn't need to be locked up or unloaded, as long as you have a NH NR license. Throw it on the seat, hang it from your mirror for all it matters.

As for the rest of your question, that is something for you to decide. Personally, I think you already answered it yourself.

For example, if I were to keep my firearm in my trunk parked at a NH airport while on vacation, is this ok?

IMHO if you do this its practically like asking for it to be stolen.

Personally if I were you I'd either take it with me all the way or leave it home.

Last edited:
As I read it, this means that if your outside a vehicle & it's concealed somewhere other than on your person (i.e. next to your sleeping bag) then it's legal. I'd like to see an AG opinion or case law on it though before I'd try it myself.

I also think this interpretation is correct.

I think if you were carrying it in a purse or bag that was "on your person" that would be "concealed carry" - OTOH, if the gun is in a cigar box, or a bag located on the ground, that's probably not "concealed carry" not to mention the gun isn't carried at that point, either. Now if you were carrying that box around and the LEO saw you with it, then that would probably be a "carrying a concealed handgun. "

I haven't looked in awhile but back when I did a lot of research the most common theme I found in terms of people actually getting charged for anything always seemed to involve loaded handguns in cars. After that, it was people who were too dumb to get a pistol permit or criminals that got shaken down.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom