Somersworth, NH P&R "requirements"

I'm renewing my P&R license in Somersworth the second time around and am irritated with their "requirements." They send a uniformed police officer to your house at their convenience to confirm you live where you say you live. Apparently we have lots of vagrants. OK, but they already did that 4 years ago and my name is still on the tax bill. The part that really gets under my skin is, because of their own policy it's taking them "about 3 weeks" for the turn around time. I told the civilian dispatcher they only have 14 days and he just shrugged and said they're aware and do what they can. Needless to say I made sure to get a written hand receipt for dropping it off. In total hear say, he also mentioned that in the future they may try mailing letters to references and hold off on licensing until they hear back. This seems to be a recurring theme lately in NH.

I'm renewing my P&R license in Somersworth the second time around and am irritated with their "requirements." They send a uniformed police officer to your house at their convenience to confirm you live where you say you live. Apparently we have lots of vagrants. OK, but they already did that 4 years ago and my name is still on the tax bill. The part that really gets under my skin is, because of their own policy it's taking them "about 3 weeks" for the turn around time. I told the civilian dispatcher they only have 14 days and he just shrugged and said they're aware and do what they can. Needless to say I made sure to get a written hand receipt for dropping it off. In total hear say, he also mentioned that in the future they may try mailing letters to references and hold off on licensing until they hear back. This seems to be a recurring theme lately in NH.

Mail your renewal application to them certified, return receipt requested. Do not fill out anything except that which is required on the form.

You'll know exactly when they received it and at that point the 14 day clock starts.

If it is not ready by the 14th day (not business day, 14th day), contact a competent firearms attorney. Penny Dean comes to mind.

I think another "Hans Blix" email is in order..... [laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

Mail your renewal application to them certified, return receipt requested. Do not fill out anything except that which is required on the form.

You'll know exactly when they received it and at that point the 14 day clock starts.

If it is not ready by the 14th day (not business day, 14th day), contact a competent firearms attorney. Penny Dean comes to mind.

No avoid Penny Dean. She charges like $5K for this stuff. Go with Seth Hipple. He will even do some licensing issues pro-bono (likey if only a stern letter is required).

Glad to see more firearm owners from Somersworth. I vaguely remember this from when I got my license years ago.
There are a few pro-gun candidates (myself included) running for State Rep in Dover and Somersworth if you want to check them out and spread to your friends. If you want to PM me on my page I will forward the information onto Seth Hipple and see what he can do. As Soloman02 said he is highly recommended.
https://m.facebook.com/joefraser4nh
https://m.facebook.com/debree4rep?ref=stream

Last edited:
I think another "Hans Blix" email is in order..... [laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

No avoid Penny Dean. She charges like $5K for this stuff. Go with Seth Hipple. He will even do some licensing issues pro-bono (likey if only a stern letter is required).

I do not know of any attorney that would charge 5k for a sternly worded letter :) You are probably talking about an estimate for a lawsuit, which might not be needed, depending on the specifics of the situation.

I'll just say that if you're not actually willing to sue, a sternly worded letter will mean nothing to the PD. But YMMV, and IANAL.

And obviously, different attorneys charge different rates. The question we each have to answer for ourselves is whether they are worth their rates or not... going with an attorney strictly based on the fact their rates are the lowest would not be my approach - other factors, like their knowledge, experience, record in the courts, etc. need to be considered.

I do not know Seth Hipple - please do not interpret this post as a suggestion he might not be the best choice... my comment is strictly addressed to the "hire the cheapest attorney" advice.

Is it helpful to contact your local reps or is an attorney the best course of action?

This crap needs to be stopped before it spreads to other locations.

Is it helpful to contact your local reps or is an attorney the best course of action?

This crap needs to be stopped before it spreads to other locations.

It is highly recommended - the local reps should know the local PD is refusing to obey very clear state law. At some point, 159 will need some fixing, since it seems some PD's consider parts of it optional.

Attorneys - depends on budget, willingness to stick one's head out, family situation, etc.

Find out who the CoP answers to directly and send them an email with a copy of the law attached. I never heard from my chief until I went over his head, then I got a response in ten minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find out who the CoP answers to directly and send them an email with a copy of the law attached. I never heard from my chief until I went over his head, then I got a response in ten minutes.

In MA, your mileage might vary...

I never heard from my licensing officer until I went over his head, then I got an angry response in a day.

In MA, your mileage might vary...

I never heard from my licensing officer until I went over his head, then I got an angry response in a day.

I agree. This was in MA. I wasn't sure what the outcome was going to be, but it had gotten to the point that I wasn't going to just take it any more.

Amazing how that works isn't it? [rofl]

I filed a formal written complaint against my chief about a non-gun matter that he had failed to resolve after being asked nicely 6 months earlier. Within 1/2 hour of my leaving the Town Manager's office my doorbell rings and an angry chief is standing there. I think we spent an hour sitting in my driveway in the cruiser discussing it. I thought he was going to create a moon-roof out of the hardtop a few times. I've never had any trouble with him since then . . . when he pushes, I push back and he drops the subject. No, he never did resolve the initial situation to my satisfaction (I wanted something in writing).

Back
Top Bottom