Primitive Firearms, licensing requirements, out-of-state (MA)

To make a long story short, I am possibly purchasing property in the future in New Hampshire for hunting and recreation, and am interested in the laws and such concerning the purchasing, ownership and operation of "primitive/antique firearms" in New Hampshire; basically, muskets and such

I am aware that this forum is not legal advice, and to get "actual" answers I should contact a firearms lawyer.

As a Massachusetts resident, to say that our laws concerning firearms are a confusing mess is an understatement. However, for "primitive/antique firearms" (pretty much anything made before 1899, or a replica of the same), no license is required to own them. However, you need an FID to purchase powder and ammunition.

I do not have an FID, and due to some mental health issues when I was younger, do not feel comfortable applying for one (its complicated). I do not have a criminal record of any kind.

From what I have read online, New Hampshire is much more lenient than Mass, but how lenient is the question? I am not looking to buy a handgun, nor conceal weapons on my person. Just a blackpowder musket for hunting once a year. It will also not leave New Hampshire, since it would not be legal for me to carry the ammunition/powder into Massachusetts.

I basically do not know the procedure for purchasing firearms in New Hampshire, and any and all help/guidance would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom