Steyr AUG, lots of new and great things coming out! (and a few things for the MSAR)

The nato means that it takes standard AR mags. The non Nato take proprietary steyr aug mags. Much easier to find preban AR but from what I've read people prefer the non nato setup.
I have fire both my aug and a friends Tavor side by side. both great guns but steyr has a better trigger (ive modified it a bit) and is heavier so shoots much more easily. Very little movement in the gun under rapid fire. But, its a tank especially with the CQC quad rail package which if you look at my picture above is the entire rail system in front of fore grip. The steyr breaks down in seconds and has multiple barrel options I have a 24' inch barrel with bipod that is a 5 second change out. No doubt Tavor is a great gun but everyone who has shot both (5 friends so far) all prefer the steyr

I have the standard stock which takes Aug mags. I got lucky and found 6 - 42 round pre bans and 4 - 30rd pre bans:)
The eotech holograph with 3x flip up magnifier works great on aug as well

The nato means that it takes standard AR mags. The non Nato take proprietary steyr aug mags. Much easier to find preban AR but from what I've read people prefer the non nato setup.
I have fire both my aug and a friends Tavor side by side. both great guns but steyr has a better trigger (ive modified it a bit) and is heavier so shoots much more easily. Very little movement in the gun under rapid fire. But, its a tank especially with the CQC quad rail package which if you look at my picture above is the entire rail system in front of fore grip. The steyr breaks down in seconds and has multiple barrel options I have a 24' inch barrel with bipod that is a 5 second change out. No doubt Tavor is a great gun but everyone who has shot both (5 friends so far) all prefer the steyr

The barrel changeout is a very nice feature. Regarding the trigger, it seems a Tavor with the Timney replacement pack (when available), will have the best bullpup trigger.

Steyr over Tavor any day!

I really like my CQC, beautiful gun. But EOfail? yuck.

I had an OS4x, but after selling that the CQC is sight-less unless I stick an aimpoint on it.

Next addition to the CQC is going to be an M845, DBAL, remove the grip and stick a harris bipod on it. [smile]

I really like my CQC, beautiful gun. But EOfail? yuck.

I had an OS4x, but after selling that the CQC is sight-less unless I stick an aimpoint on it.

Next addition to the CQC is going to be an M845, DBAL, remove the grip and stick a harris bipod on it. [smile]

Ha ha ive only run two optics on the steyr...said EOfail and an ACOG. The ACOG is a much better fit for my LMT CQB so thats how ive been rolling. I did recently buy a Trijicon Reflex RX30A-51 for my Benelli M4 maybe I'll give that a whirl on the Steyr

The barrel changeout is a very nice feature. Regarding the trigger, it seems a Tavor with the Timney replacement pack (when available), will have the best bullpup trigger.

I have somewhere around 11 or 12 AUG hammerpacks ... once an AUG is fired a couple thousand rounds, the hammerpack has a very consistant pull, break, and reset. Honestly, it really isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Granted, it is not and does not feel like a match grade trigger, but it does what it is supposed to and does it nicely.

Take a second to think about the design of the AUG stock. There is no trigger guard.
What that means is that a 3# or whatever light breaking trigger is not a good thing to have when you hold the weapon millimeters away from the trigger.

For those that want a modified AUG trigger, there are different products which modify different actions of the feel, pull, and weight.

As for the Tavor and the new "match grade" triggers coming out for it, the Tavor also does not have a trigger guard... I imagine there will be a few AD's due to bad trigger discipline with these new hammerpacks (in my opinion).

Just bought a Glock 41 so no more spending on optics for a minute:)

- - - Updated - - -

I have somewhere around 11 or 12 AUG hammerpacks ... once an AUG is fired a couple thousand rounds, the hammerpack has a very consistant pull, break, and reset. Honestly, it really isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Granted, it is not and does not feel like a match grade trigger, but it does what it is supposed to and does it nicely.

Take a second to think about the design of the AUG stock. There is no trigger guard.
What that means is that a 3# or whatever light breaking trigger is not a good thing to have when you hold the weapon millimeters away from the trigger.

For those that want a modified AUG trigger, there are different products which modify different actions of the feel, pull, and weight.

As for the Tavor and the new "match grade" triggers coming out for it, the Tavor also does not have a trigger guard... I imagine there will be a few AD's due to bad trigger discipline with these new hammerpacks (in my opinion).

I bought the aluminum trigger bar from Ratworxx Was a big improvement in the steyr

Let me know what you think of the Trij reflex. I've been thinking of putting a reflex on the new 9mm AUG. Is yours the 42mm objective?

I think the big objective, battery free dot sight would be a good match for a 9mm.

Yes 42mm.

Its killer on the M4.

I'll try it out on the AUG next week and report back

Let me know what you think of the Trij reflex. I've been thinking of putting a reflex on the new 9mm AUG. Is yours the 42mm objective?

I think the big objective, battery free dot sight would be a good match for a 9mm.

Anybody tried the "Neu-Trigger"? Seems like the least expensive way to smooth out the trigger pull.

I bought the aluminum trigger bar from Ratworxx Was a big improvement in the steyr

Are you referring to the "Trigger pack Sear from 20/20 precision"? I know Ratworxx also makes the conversion to use AR-15 parts.

Yes, I agree and that has occurred to me before on both rifles. I'm still thinking about getting one or the other so I have something to put an EOTech on.
If you're considering an Eotech XPS/EXPS, one consideration is that the wide sight base can interfere with the charging handle on a Steyr (This isn't an issue for Tavor). I bought a replacement AUG charging handle from Manticore Arms to address this.

If you're considering an Eotech XPS/EXPS, one consideration is that the wide sight base can interfere with the charging handle on a Steyr (This isn't an issue for Tavor). I bought a replacement AUG charging handle from Manticore Arms to address this.

I do like EOTechs but I was mostly giving Steyr_AUG some crap.

Good tip though.

s14_zps44bc0799.jpg

sa13_zps0cb867a2.jpg

The 20" barrels and 9mm kits are pretty nice.

16" in 1/7 and 20" in 1/7, and the barrel from the 9mm kit.
9mm barrel is not threaded, but can be threaded to any pitch instead of being stuck with 13x1 LH.

7KFHnfo.jpg

Just a heads up, I got the new 20" barrel too..did some research and asked steyr AFTER I had it and it's only 1/9 twist not 1/7. According to steyr only 200 16"barrels were 1/7 all others are 1/9.

New US Made AUG magazines for $20 are coming from Magpul

Magpul announced PMAG AUS GEN M3 Window Magazines for Steyr AUG family. Maintains the constant-curve internal geometry of the original AUG magazine. 30-rounds, made in USA, anti-tilt followers, MSRP of $19.95

I'll probably get a couple to try them out. If nothing else, this should help keep the prices on new production OEM magazines down under $17.

There were 15k mags. As of about right now, there are roughly 2,000 left.
Why? Because RSR is selling them for TEN DOLLARS EACH.
Steyr can't even import them that cheap! Ten bucks for 30 or 42rd factory Austrian AUG mags, what. the. ****. Mind = Blown.

Anyways, LANBOS is the only place that has these near the RSR price.

http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=11378

http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=11380

Get them while you can. These aren't going to last the weekend. 13,000 mags sold in less than 24hrs.

Sold out on Sunday night.

Last edited:
factory new AUG magazines under $11 - SOLD OUT

Was a good deal while it lasted; I just took delivery of some of the last few magazines at RSR's blowout price. Only the 10-rounders are still in stock unless you want to pay full retail at Midway.

Standard capacity magazines are back in stock, as low as $20 (or $25if you don't want to trust Botach to fulfill a backorder). I've got a whole stack I bought at the $10.99 price back when this thread was last bumped.

Has anybody seen the Magpul "PMAG AUS GEN M3" magazines in the wild? Last I heard, Magpul was going to have some ready to show off at SHOT this year.

Because snow is coming. Saw this in a pic from shot show.
I hope they sell more white stocks and grips as parts, (as opposed to whole rifles); I'd get a set to send out for a custom dye job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom