• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Steyr AUG, lots of new and great things coming out! (and a few things for the MSAR)

I don't imagine there are many AUG owners on here, but if you are and happen to be reading this, there are many exciting things happening right now for the AUG.

First, the AUG A3 is as cheap as you'll ever get one. I've seen multiple AUG's sell in the $1600 range last month.

-NEW AUSTRIAN Steyr factory magazines are a shockingly low $15 @ manventure outpost. 42 and 30rd mags.

-Steyr is now selling 16" 1/7 twist FN made CL CHF barrels, only 200 to be made. If you want a new barrel, especially one in 1/7 twist right now is the time to jump. PJS-STEYRAUG.COM has them for $530, $70 cheaper than the Steyr online store.

-BRAND NEW FACTORY 9MM KITS are in the process of being imported. Should be in the US before Christmas!!! Kit comes with everything but a receiver and A3 hammerpack. 9MM stock is the A3 type. Includes 3 magazines. Price is $1399. Buy a receiver and hammerpack for about 900 more to have a complete 9mm AUG for under $2500. Get everything at PJS from Pete.

-20" barrels and 18" barrels should be available in the next few weeks as FN gets caught up. $599 MSRP, but cheaper with retailers... try Pete at PJS.

-24" barrels are coming before Christmas. $699 MSRP.

-Steyr imported OD green A3 stocks recently.

-Steyr is importing FDE A3 stocks as of right now.

-2020 Precision has come out with the "TRIGGER SEAR MOD" for both the Steyr and clone MSAR. It cuts trigger reset in half and reduces the trigger pull length. I have one and it is a VERY good upgrade to the AUG. You will find those at Ratworx for $100. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/408100_AUG_TSM_S_Hammerpack_Trigger_Sear_Modification.html

-Manticore Arms developed an HK'esque folding charging handle, called the Switchback, for the AUG and MSAR. Seems promising. Will not work with a preban A1 receiver. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_611/...k_Charigng_Handle_for_Steyr_AUG_and_MSAR.html

-Manticore Arms is also making their "talon" scope mount for the AUG A3 which replace the 1913 top rail of the AUG with a one piece bolt on 30mm scope mount. You can throw any 30mm scope in there, reducing the weight of the gun.

-Lastly Steyr isn't saying much, but they have sent out news of their 150th Anniversary product launches coinciding with SHOT Show.
150yrs_zpsdea0511d.jpg

68586d187f.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on this thread. I have an A and love it. Thanks for the lead on mags and the other awesome parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

$2500 for a complete 9mm AUG may sound like a lot, but back in 2006 the kits alone were selling for $3,500, if you could find one.

Manticore Arms developed an HK'esque folding charging handle, called the Switchback, for the AUG and MSAR. Seems promising.
I've got Manticore's older "Raptor" style charging handle, and it's a significant improvement over factory stock. Not sure about the Switchback, I might wait for them to come out with the smaller profile variant.

I really need a 5.56 Steyer bullpup to give my safe the wow factor. Plus, I've had a chubby for one since Die Hard.

Heh, memories of Counter Strike back in the day.

Would you Aug owners still prefer it to some of the more recent bullpup designs? specifically thinking of Fs2000 and Tavor. And if so, why?

Would you Aug owners still prefer it to some of the more recent bullpup designs? specifically thinking of Fs2000 and Tavor. And if so, why?
What's the going price in MA/CT for a Steyr USR? I went with the Tavor in part because the total price with 9mm conversion ($2500) beats buying the AUG 9mm conversion alone, and the Tavor takes standard magazines for both .223 and 9mm variants. That doesn't mean I will be unloading my Steyr AUG A3 anytime soon.

Got my 16" 1/7 barrels a while ago.
In the next couple weeks, 20" 1/7 FN CHF CL barrels will be available for sale...

For the record, Steyr only made 200 1/7 twist 16" barrels and will not be doing the run again.
The 20" 1/7 barrels will also be limited to 200 barrels only with no future repeat.

Steyr's online store is out of the 1/7 16" barrels. Pete @ PJS-steyraug.com may or may not have a few 16" 1/7's left. If you are thinking of getting one, now would be the time to act. And when the 20" 1/7 bbls come around, I wouldn't hesitate on those either if you have interest.

FWIW, the 24" LMG bipod barrels were ~$700 a ten years ago. Today they are 3x that.
The 14" commando barrels were also about the same price and today are also 3-4x that price.

IMG_0561_zps1fa76e50.jpg

Last edited:

I've never owned a FS2k, but do have experience with it.
The FS2k while a nice gun, just doesn't feel right. It's the type of gun that by its design and ergonomics, you either love it or hate it. I hated it.

I did have a Tavor for a few months. I was fortunate to get a FDE out of the first batch released.
The Tavor is also a nice gun, but overall when you compare it to an AUG, the AUG is superior in many ways.

As I have a thing for the AUG so when I sold the Tavor, I replaced it with another AUG.

What's the going price in MA/CT for a Steyr USR? I went with the Tavor in part because the total price with 9mm conversion ($2500) beats buying the AUG 9mm conversion alone, and the Tavor takes standard magazines for both .223 and 9mm variants. That doesn't mean I will be unloading my Steyr AUG A3 anytime soon.

No idea on what a USR or A1 runs in MA/CT, but if you buy online, it is the US market price, not the inflated ban state price.

I had the chance to purchase a Tavor 9mm kit (at cost) a few days ago. It almost made me reconsider buying a Tavor again just so I have another bullpup in 9mm.

With the Tavor at ~$2000 and the 9mm kit at ~$850, you're into it for over $3k with any decent optic.

With the AUG A3 receiver at ~$800 and the 9mm kits at ~$1400, with a decent optic your into it just under $3k. But you don't get the 5.56 bolt and barrel. At a ~$400 difference, at those price levels, it's a wash either way.

I wouldn't buy any of the new bullpups out there only because they look like toy space guns, plus the Steyr AUG is the original, has been battle tested and still used today by some nations, it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling because of that.
I've never held any other BP except for the ps90, and it felt like quality, not saying the others arent, but its probably the only one i would buy, but ammo for it is ridiculous.
The ps90 in 9mm would be very cool.

So far it seems the 9mm conversions for both the TAVOR and AUG are still just vaporware. I'll wait until they ship and user reports start coming in.

I've never held any other BP except for the ps90, and it felt like quality, not saying the others arent, but its probably the only one i would buy, but ammo for it is ridiculous. The ps90 in 9mm would be very cool.

I don't like the look of the PS90, reminds me of a MIDI trumpet or something. The P90 is a bit less offensive (Umlaut has one, so far haven't convinced him to sell).

Last edited:
Do I want an Aug instead of a Tavor? I've been agonizing over this since the Tavor group buy got pulled. Are pre-ban Steyr mags around and available or do MA-holes need to get the NATO stock? Does the 1:9 twist do the job with 62gr bullets?

I like the shape of it and what I hear about the build quality, just not sure of which path to head down.

Do I want an Aug instead of a Tavor? I've been agonizing over this since the Tavor group buy got pulled. Are pre-ban Steyr mags around and available or do MA-holes need to get the NATO stock? Does the 1:9 twist do the job with 62gr bullets?

I like the shape of it and what I hear about the build quality, just not sure of which path to head down.

I have a Steyr Aug and I love it in 5.56, I have the stock barrel and it shoots very accurately out to 100yards with standard Federal XM loads and the stock Aug scope which is 1x. This is the max range you would want to shoot an Aug, its awesome in CQB or three gun. I bought the 16 inch barrel but I have not installed it yet and don't think I will right away. I went with the Steyr standard stock as I wanted it to be "authentic" with Steyr mags, they just look way better than NATO mags on the gun. Pre-ban mags are readily available in 30 and 42 rounders. Its my favorite gun to shoot. I would only convert it to 9mm if I were to buy another Aug, I don't want to mess with switching it. It also has the best trigger of any bull pup on the market and I own them all.

I have a Tavor on order but I will only pick it up when the 9mm conversion is available, I have no interest in the Tavor in 5.56 but I think it would be fun in 9mm. It also uses readily available Uzi mags so it makes a lot of sense.

My recommendation, get the best bull pub available, get a Steyr Aug with the Steyr stock. I will sell you a few pre ban mags if you can't find them, I have dozens of new ones.

I have a Steyr Aug and I love it in 5.56, I have the stock barrel and it shoots very accurately out to 100yards with standard Federal XM loads and the stock Aug scope which is 1x. This is the max range you would want to shoot an Aug, its awesome in CQB or three gun. I bought the 16 inch barrel but I have not installed it yet and don't think I will right away. I went with the Steyr standard stock as I wanted it to be "authentic" with Steyr mags, they just look way better than NATO mags on the gun. Pre-ban mags are readily available in 30 and 42 rounders. Its my favorite gun to shoot. I would only convert it to 9mm if I were to buy another Aug, I don't want to mess with switching it. It also has the best trigger of any bull pup on the market and I own them all.

I have a Tavor on order but I will only pick it up when the 9mm conversion is available, I have no interest in the Tavor in 5.56 but I think it would be fun in 9mm. It also uses readily available Uzi mags so it makes a lot of sense.

My recommendation, get the best bull pub available, get a Steyr Aug with the Steyr stock. I will sell you a few pre ban mags if you can't find them, I have dozens of new ones.

So why no interest in a Tavor in 5.56? Have you tried one?

Also, FWIW, Timney has announced a 2 stage, 4.5lb trigger for the Tavor. It would seem this will be the best bull pup tigger available. Downside is it will cost $350.

Thanks - the fact that pre-bans are out there is great. They sound like quality mags too.

That's one vote for an Aug.

So why no interest in a Tavor in 5.56? Have you tried one?

Also, FWIW, Timney has announced a 2 stage, 4.5lb trigger for the Tavor. It would seem this will be the best bull pup tigger available. Downside is it will cost $350.

To be honest, I have not shot the Tavor but I have certainly handled it plenty if times. I don't have a good reason for not wanting to shoot it in 5.56, it will be delivered that way so I have the option. Probably because I want to dedicate it to 9mm. Something besides a pistol to shoot indoors in the winter. I would have had one by now but I am stubbornly holding out for FDE, my guy is supposed to have one for me this month but I have not rushed him as the 9mm kit is still not deliverable. The Timney trigger certainly makes the Tavor more attractive, even if it sells for the msrp of 350 it will be worth it, the stock trigger is not ideal.

And do I want/need an actual Steyr Aug, or is an MSAR the same thing? The purist in me thinks it's an Aug or nothing, but not sure if they can be found sub $2k.

To be honest, I have not shot the Tavor but I have certainly handled it plenty if times. I don't have a good reason for not wanting to shoot it in 5.56, it will be delivered that way so I have the option. Probably because I want to dedicate it to 9mm. Something besides a pistol to shoot indoors in the winter. I would have had one by now but I am stubbornly holding out for FDE, my guy is supposed to have one for me this month but I have not rushed him as the 9mm kit is still not deliverable. The Timney trigger certainly makes the Tavor more attractive, even if it sells for the msrp of 350 it will be worth it, the stock trigger is not ideal.

Ok. That makes sense.

From everything I can find, it's hard to go wrong with either, though both have their pluses and minuses.

If you're planning to sell off the 5.56 internals, let me know.

I pre-ordered IWI's 9mm kit a month ago; supposedly started shipping last week. Reports are that threading on the 9mm barrel is 1/2 x 36, like some 9mm ARs.

And do I want/need an actual Steyr Aug, or is an MSAR the same thing? The purist in me thinks it's an Aug or nothing, but not sure if they can be found sub $2k.

Go with your purist instincts. I have only heard frustrations with the MSAR. I have never shot one but the internet is full of stories of jams. I paid a little more for my A3, I think I paid 2200 but I didn't shop around. I buy everything from one shop. I bet with a little work you can hit the 2k mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the Steyr standard stock as I wanted it to be "authentic" with Steyr mags, they just look way better than NATO mags on the gun. Pre-ban mags are readily available in 30 and 42 rounders. Its my favorite gun to shoot.
I agree, the standard stock with the "authentic" magazines is definitely the way to go, unless you have a huge stockpile of magazines to share with AR15-type rifles.

I paid a little more for my A3, I think I paid 2200 but I didn't shop around. I buy everything from one shop. I bet with a little work you can hit the 2k mark.
Around $2K is definitely achievable, I paid $1900 at Riley's, have seen NIB sell for as low as $1800 on Gunbroker.

. I went with the Steyr standard stock as I wanted it to be "authentic" with Steyr mags, they just look way better than NATO mags on the gun. Pre-ban mags are readily available in 30 and 42 rounders. Its my favorite gun to shoot. I would only convert it to 9mm if I were to buy another Aug, I don't want to mess with switching it. It also has the best trigger of any bull pup on the market and I own them all.

I honestly haven't looked for preban aug mags in a while, but I always had trouble finding them, and when I did they were mucho $$$$. When the time is right I'm gonna pull the trigger on a Nato stock, i always got my eye out for them.

I'm a little nervous about finding mags for the new 9mm conversion I've pre ordered. I know there are preban 9mm aug mags from when they put out the last conversion, but I can't imagine they'll be easy to find.

i believe the MSAR does AR mags and not aug mags. i shot one with the optic and it was alright. found it a little small, but i'm a tall and lanky ****er, so YMMV.

I honestly haven't looked for preban aug mags in a while, but I always had trouble finding them, and when I did they were mucho $$$$. When the time is right I'm gonna pull the trigger on a Nato stock, i always got my eye out for them.

I'm a little nervous about finding mags for the new 9mm conversion I've pre ordered. I know there are preban 9mm aug mags from when they put out the last conversion, but I can't imagine they'll be easy to find.

MPi mags work... DSA has 32rd mags for $40

MPi mags DO NOT have the last round bolt hold open feature like 25rd 9mm AUG mags do.

- - - Updated - - -

Many many many threads detailing MSAR's physical problems and customer service problems are on the internet.

Steyr has customer service that is EXCEPTIONAL.

I realize that the Tavor is said to be a pretty solidly built rifle, but how does it compare to the Aug in terms of felt ruggedness/robustness? Number of parts?

Thanks for posting man. I have an A3 CQC from Pete Athens. Ive been wanting a longer barrel and the trigger pack! Sweet news

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a clear cut way to tell if the mags are preban? I bought some that were allegedly preban but they look exactly like my new ones

Is there a clear cut way to tell if the mags are preban? I bought some that were allegedly preban but they look exactly like my new ones

On the AUG magazines you can find an alphanumeric code, which consist of
a letter ( A,B, C,D, ....) and numbers (1, 2, 3, 4,....).

The letter is for the year, in which A is for 1983, B is for 1984 and so on.
The number is for the month i.e. 1 is January, 2 is February....
- Oliver Bauer Sales Manager Steyr Mannlicher Gmbh

Year codes:
A 1983
B 1984
C 1985
D 1986
E 1987
F 1988
G 1989
H 1990
I 1991
J 1992
K 1993
L 1994
M 1995
N 1996
O 1997
P 1998
Q 1999
R 2000
S 2001
T 2002
U 2003
V 2004
W 2005
Y 2007
Z 2008

Month Codes:

1 Jan
2 Feb
3 Mar
4 Apr
5 May
6 June
7 July
8 Aug
9 Sept
10 Oct
11 Nov
12 Dec

For "PREBAN" AUG magazines, the cutoff is September 13, 1994, which according to Steyr Mannlicher would be coded as "09/L" or "9/L"

Back
Top Bottom