Stellwagen Questions

DTR

Hey guys, I'm planning on making my first trip out to stellwagen this weekend and I'm looking for any advice about where to go, whats running, should I jig or troll etc. I've only been fishing for a few years and its mainly been for stripers and blues around boston harbor and scituate. I figured this was the year to expand my horizons. So enlighten me, any advice general or specific is much appreciated. The weather looks nice for the weekend and this will be the furtherest that I've gone out with my boat, so it should be fun.
Thanks in advance and don't worry I'm not gonna steal your tuna from your secret spot, I don't have the talent or equipment to go after those yet.[wink]

I've had fun just going out there and jigging up big cod. Live linning macks is pretty exciting too. Post a report if you go out there. And, of course, be safe.

i dont know much about the area but i went fishing at stellwagon with my brothers and brother in law a few weeks back..we caught some really big cod, haddock, and pollock, we were using red and white saltwater grubs and jigging them off the bottom, we had a great time and caught lots of fish, not sure if the cod and haddock are still hanging out there, we also used clam and mackerel but did not have luck on them, we ran a line with a weight on it and ran 2 grubs eight inches apart, the red and white were getting all the fish but we had a few on the chartreuse and yellow grubs....not sure if this helps.

BIG cod jigs - I wouldn't take anything lighter than 18 oz out there. I use the 21 oz & 26 oz Solvkroken Norwegian Cod jigs the most. Stout conventional rod w/ 65 lb braid w/ 30 feet of 50 lb mono leader. Teasers are helpful - something BRIGHT in color - not that the fish can see it in 300+ feet of water, LOL. Make sure you make contact with the bottom when you drop the lure - you want to make a lot of banging. When you hook up - reel straight in and don't pump rod - reel straight in (you tear the mouths on the cod and they can fall off). Be prepared for some double or triple hook up of dogfish as well, LOL.

Bring suntan lotion - keep your skin covered or you will be red as a lobster with nasty sunburn!!!! Good rain gear is a must in case the weather changes quickly. Bring along some sea sick pills just in case - best to take it before you head out for it to work.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do. Pictures are also nice. :D

In addition to the radio, I'd say have a beacon, flares, lifejackets (wear them), and spare everything. Take a GPS if you can to show where you went.

Let us know how it went, with pictures. Have fun!

The North West corner of Stellwagen is presently very active for jigging groundfish.Small Tuna are active to the southern aswell.
Avoid fishing/pocessing Striped Bass in Federal waters... it is illegal.

get Tow Boat Insurance if you don't already have it.. make sure your coverage is unlimited... Other than that, good luck!!

I just went out there yesterday. If you have the gear go for the big guys. There are some real big tuna are running out there right now. Had one guy at the dock pull in 300 lbs and loose it at the boat and then another that landed one that size. We were unlucky yesterday, had some big ones busting 100 yrds off the boat here and there but nothing took our bait (prolly because the damn dog fish kept slicing it in half all over the place). We saw the most action out on the south east corner. The west side has been pretty hot lately but thats where we ran into the most dogfish so we moved on. If you got it try trolling plastic at first light and see if you can't hook up then. If not we were live lining the rest of the day. Thats what the other two guys we knew caught theirs on too.

Let me know how you do and hopefully its better then me haha.

Last saturday the groundfish were not around. Huge bass are there. You are not supposed to target them, but they are alot of fun to catch. We saw only a couple whales, no Tuna for us though. I am going out Friday afternoon, and possibly Saturday as well. I will either be on Caper II, or Jody Ann. I usually monitor chanel 68, or 69. Will be looking for tuna and willing to share intel via pm.

Awesome guys I appreciate it.

Thanks guys, I am new to fishing not boating [grin]

Yeah well, you wouldn't believe how many people have been boating for years, and have to cough up hundreds, and sometimes thousands of dollars because they didn't think they would ever need the insurance.. dummies..

Had a good day out there today. The day started out awesome; 0-1ft seas for the ride out, saw a couple pods of whales and even one breaching, and reeled in a 26" pollock within 2 minutes of dropping the day's first line. After that things didn't go quite so well. Ended up catching 14 dogfish the rest of the day. No matter where we went or what depth we jigged at ...dogfish. Headed home around 1:30ish and fought 4ft seas the whole way back. All in all it was a pretty good day and even reeling in dogfish is better than reeling in nothing at all. I will definetely be headed out there again soon. Thanks for all the info.

I have did not go out this weekend and was wondering if there are fish around? Got fish in the 60-70 inch range two weeks in a row on the nwc and may have a small window to fish this weekend.

Going out tomorrow on a charter with some friends for tuna and/or cod. Anyone had any luck lately?

How did you make out? I have not had any tuna love in about a month. Been catching plenty of groundfish, but no tuna.

Plenty of groundfish. Didn't try for tuna. Reports were bad. Tried for sharks for a bit, no luck there. Groundfishing was worse than usual so spent more time doing that to get some filets and lost our chance to target tuna/shark. Still had a blast though.

Back
Top Bottom