• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some questions from a new gun owner/ hunter

Hi all. Hope this finds you well.

I mi bought my first rifle last week. It's a Savage Axis, .308.

I have a Mass DL, and my primary domicile is in MA. However my dad owns a house in NH, and I stay there mostly lately. I just passed my hunters Ed online course, and am scheduled for my hunters Ed field day on the 19th. Since I have the address in NH, but have a MA license, can I get a NH resident hunters license? I'm thinking about going to my local PD in NH and getting my resident p&r license, as the atf says I'm a resident in both states since I still dwell in NH more than 2 days a week, and keep belongings there. Would the p&r license help? 10$ vs 100$ is helpful for my hunters license.

Second question, how difficult is the field day from a new hunter/gun owner perspective? I passed the online field day qualifier exam and heard there will be another exam at the field day I need to pass. I'm kind of nervous, as hunting this year is one of the main reasons I bought this rifle.

Thanks everyone one for your help.

I cannot help you out on the residency side of your question but the can say that the field test is pretty easy. A buddy of mine took it this year and was also a little nervous going in and then told me later he was shocked at how easy it is. I wouldn't stress about that.

I cannot help you out on the residency side of your question but the can say that the field test is pretty easy. A buddy of mine took it this year and was also a little nervous going in and then told me later he was shocked at how easy it is. I wouldn't stress about that.

i appreciate your reply.

Any insight on what the day entailed? Appreciate it.

Found this for NH Fish & Game Residency Requirement: A New Hampshire resident is someone who holds a valid NH Driver’s license or Non Driver Photo Identification issued by the State of NH Division of Motor Vehicles and does not claim a residence in any other state for any purpose.

OP:

There may be an EPO (or whatever New Hamster calls them) at the HE Course field day - they should know.

Failing that, call NH F&W and ask them. I'd say that if you can get a resident P&R, you have a valid case for residency, but you never know until you try.

Not sure about NH, but Maine would not issue you a resident license in your situation. You are only a resident of one state unless you claim dual residency (which is not worth it from a tax and other headache perspective). The ATF considers you a PART TIME resident of NH if you still have your MA residency, which you do as long as you keep your MA LTC, Driver's license, etc.

Then again, in Maine you could also just buy your license on line and claim resident status and nobody would know or care. The issue becomes a problem if you run across a warden and he notices, for example, that you have MA license plates on your vehicle. Could you chance it and probably get away with it? Most likely. BUt is it worth the $90 to you to have to worry about that while you are a new hunter?

Back
Top Bottom