• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Hunting as a Mass Resident, plus bow questions

I really have never been hunting besides for walking around as a kid shooting birds and squirrels. I currently live in MA and want to hunt in NH what kind of licenses to deer hunt there (Bow) in Sept?

Are there any deer hunting classes?

Also what bows are good for starters?

You need to take a hunter education class. NH has them online with one field day, and MA's fill up quick. It doesn't matter where you take the class, and once completed you can hunt in all 50 states.

There are many good bows on the market, really depends on your price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Head to a place like Als in NH to shoot a bow and have it properly fit. A well fit bow is more important that the most expensive on the market. As for deer hunting classes, head out with someone. Field experience is best. As for practice on the bow. A few arrows each day on your target at home is best. Some guys go once a week and shoot a shtload, bad idea as you fatigue and your shooting is drastically different.

Tepee Archery in Acton, MA is a great place.
I purchased my bow from Al's archery in Seabrook. Also a nice place.

As far as what you'd need:
You'll need a hunters ed course. I believe NH requires a bow hunter specific course OR proof that you have had an archery license before. (You can buy your MA license and buy the archery stamp)

From what I researched last year the Hoyt Charger is a good package deal and you'll be out the door for 600-700.
My brother has that and so does one of my good friends.

The non-resident NH permit is expensive. If you only plan on bow hunting it's not so bad...but if you want to pick up a rifle and hunt anything else you are looking at much more money.
With both you are looking at almost $200

I believe you need not only a hunter safety class, but you need to take the bow hunter safety class. That's the one that lets you bow hunt other states other than Ma.

I believe but could be wrong that NH is rolling their bow class into the normal hunting class but the OP would have to verify that.

Also, practice a lot if you do decide to bow hunt.

As for Tepee, I just wish they would fix their entrance to make it easier to get into [smile]

I believe but could be wrong that NH is rolling their bow class into the normal hunting class but the OP would have to verify that.

Also, practice a lot if you do decide to bow hunt.

As for Tepee, I just wish they would fix their entrance to make it easier to get into [smile]

You are correct. It is all one class now. SO everyone gets the bowhunter portion along with the basic course.

You are correct. It is all one class now. SO everyone gets the bowhunter portion along with the basic course.

Thanks for the info Penny.

I had thought that is what they were doing as it seems to make sense to have it all in one instead of the two separate coarse's (at least to me).

Back
Top Bottom