• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Preparing for Fall hunting season. Couple questions...

Hi all,

So last year was my first year hunting, and was pretty much a bust, because I had no previous experience, and only got to go out one day. Now given that I'm prepared this year, to use a week's PTO to be in the field as much as humanly possible! I do have a few questions however, hoping you guys can help out.

Some Background information on me... I'm a MA resident, but my father owns a house in NH that I frequently stay at. I don't have an FID card or a LTC (haven't applied yet in MA), but I keep my rifle at my father's house in NH, and I only ever carry the firearm in NH. I'm wondering, The open carry laws in NH haven't changed correct? I'm still allowed to carry my rifle unloaded, in my truck without a NH concealed carry permit or a MA LTC, correct? With that out of the way I have the following questions...

1.) If I've never been convicted of a felony, and only have a minor misdemeanor disorderly conduct on my record, how tough is it in MA to get an LTC? I've never used drugs so obviously none of that nonsense on my record, and my father always taught me that hitting a woman is what cowards do, so none of that on my record as well. Should it be pretty easy to obtain a MA-LTC?

2.) I took and passed the NH hunters safety course last year, and purchased my non resident hunting license for NH, this year, I don't need to take the hunters ed course again, correct? I was under the assumption I can just go ahead and purchase my non resident hunters license again, when it's time.

3.) Too late to enter the moose lottery? How do I go about that?

4.) Lastly, would any experienced guys be able to take me under their wing? I'm a bit embarassed being 30 years old, but I would really like to be successful in hunting this year. I could repay the person with some venison from my harvest! Also, do you guys find tree stand hunting to be easier and have a higher success rate than still hunting? Also, last year I hunted in Pawtuckaway park in Nottingham, saw some cool stuff, but didn't come away successful. Any good spots where my .308 rifle would be permitted around that area?

Really anything to get me on the right path would be amazing. Beginner youtube videos, books, anything to get me going. I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this long post, and answer all of my questions! Take care, and happy hunting!

To answer your number 2 question you only have to take the safety course once.
For number 3 if your talking about the NH moose lottery they just did it this past week.

I started hunting around 30, my stepfather got me into it. He helped me some but for the most part iv'e learned a lot on my own. I prefer to hunt from a treestand but i hunt private land so it's not a problem for me to leave my stands out. I bow hunt most of the season so it's easier being in a tree, but rifle i don't mind being on the ground. It took me 2 years before i finally got a deer and i was out alot. Just get out there as much as you can, if your able to put a camera out somewhere that would be a big help to for scouting.

Success comes with time spent before the hunt. A week off is greatbut u need to put in scouting time before the week of the hunt. I read somewhere the average scouting time for a successful moose hunter is 40 hours!!

Hi all,

So last year was my first year hunting, and was pretty much a bust, because I had no previous experience, and only got to go out one day. Now given that I'm prepared this year, to use a week's PTO to be in the field as much as humanly possible! I do have a few questions however, hoping you guys can help out.

Some Background information on me... I'm a MA resident, but my father owns a house in NH that I frequently stay at. I don't have an FID card or a LTC (haven't applied yet in MA), but I keep my rifle at my father's house in NH, and I only ever carry the firearm in NH. I'm wondering, The open carry laws in NH haven't changed correct? I'm still allowed to carry my rifle unloaded, in my truck without a NH concealed carry permit or a MA LTC, correct? With that out of the way I have the following questions...
A Mass FID/LTC is not relevant to NH

1.) If I've never been convicted of a felony, and only have a minor misdemeanor disorderly conduct on my record, how tough is it in MA to get an LTC? I've never used drugs so obviously none of that nonsense on my record, and my father always taught me that hitting a woman is what cowards do, so none of that on my record as well. Should it be pretty easy to obtain a MA-LTC?

If you have no statutory disqualifiers, you should be fine. Different towns exercise "discretion" differently. Go to the thread where the towns are listed by color, to get an idea of how you'll fare.

2.) I took and passed the NH hunters safety course last year, and purchased my non resident hunting license for NH, this year, I don't need to take the hunters ed course again, correct? I was under the assumption I can just go ahead and purchase my non resident hunters license again, when it's time.
Hunter Ed Courses are good forever (some states require a Bow course in addition to the Basic), and have full reciprocity between all states.

3.) Too late to enter the moose lottery? How do I go about that?

In Mass, it is unlawful to hunt Moose
4.) Lastly, would any experienced guys be able to take me under their wing? I'm a bit embarassed being 30 years old, but I would really like to be successful in hunting this year. I could repay the person with some venison from my harvest! Also, do you guys find tree stand hunting to be easier and have a higher success rate than still hunting? Also, last year I hunted in Pawtuckaway park in Nottingham, saw some cool stuff, but didn't come away successful. Any good spots where my .308 rifle would be permitted around that area?

Join a Club, and ask the experienced members for advice. Some stuff can't come from books

Really anything to get me on the right path would be amazing. Beginner youtube videos, books, anything to get me going. I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this long post, and answer all of my questions! Take care, and happy hunting!

My responses in red.

Op.....there is plenty of hunting to be done as far as small game as well. Got my son started out hunting grey squirrel and it is a ton of fun and a little more succesful than starting out with deer and moose. Nothing wrong at all with taking a shotgun into the woods for a couple hours ans coming home with a couple squirrels for dinner!

Previous hunting license is your proof of having completed the course. Always hang on to the expired license or cert. card from the course so there aren't any hassles when it is time to renew.

My responses in red.

Reading this, it seems as though you thought I'd be hunting in MA. I'll actually be hunting in NH. Just have a residence in MA and NH, my primary domicile is MA, but I hunt in NH.

Where would you recommend looking for a club? I'm in Southern NH.

Also, lastly, I was curious if open carry in NH is still fine, without a LTC or permit. I have a MA license, but like I said my dad and I have a place in NH, and I keep my rifle there, and will until I get my LTC in MA.

Reading this, it seems as though you thought I'd be hunting in MA. I'll actually be hunting in NH. Just have a residence in MA and NH, my primary domicile is MA, but I hunt in NH.

Also, lastly, I was curious if open carry in NH is still fine, without a LTC or permit. I have a MA license, but like I said my dad and I have a place in NH, and I keep my rifle there, and will until I get my LTC in MA.

Not to be a dick, but there's better places to ask about gun laws than the hunting forum. The NH Gun Laws subform with be a good place to look.

What is the Mass license that you have? I'm foncused.

As for the NH Regs:

http://www.eregulations.com/newhampshire/hunting/

Better to get the info there, than from Interwebs' Experts.

Even when I teach Hunter Ed, I tell people to get the info first-hand.

s

I am already prepping for fall hunting! Put the leopold rimfire scope back on the henry lever action .22 and zeroed it for 50 yards......spent time at the range shooting at multiple distances to get a feel for where to hold up to 100 yards. Squirrel season in zones 1-9 opens in less than 3 months now believe it or not!!!!! My son turns 15 this year JUST BEFORE OPENING DAY so I'll be able to actually carry my own this year (up till now the hunting has always been "for him" and I let him carry the 20 gauge. Plan this year is to go out together with a scatter gun and the .22 LR. Figuring that little henry will be a great option. Damn I'm getting excited already and its not even the 4th of July!

What is the Mass license that you have? I'm foncused.

As for the NH Regs:

http://www.eregulations.com/newhampshire/hunting/

Better to get the info there, than from Interwebs' Experts.

Even when I teach Hunter Ed, I tell people to get the info first-hand.

s

Sorry I didn't give enough info. I meant my MA drivers license. I don't have a MA LTC or FID, that's why I hunt in NH, and keep my rifle at our NH property.

Sorry I didn't give enough info. I meant my MA drivers license. I don't have a MA LTC or FID, that's why I hunt in NH, and keep my rifle at our NH property.
I recommend that if you are a mass resident get your LTC......or FID and a mass hunting license.....especially if you live in the eastern part of mass. Plenty of deer in zones 9 and 10 and you have a good chance of being successful. Although some of the southern zones in nh hold plenty of deer as well.

Hint.....the antlerless permit lottery will be pulled on Aug 1.......if you can buy your license now and apply for an antlerless permit in zones 9 or 10 you have a very good chance at getting that antlerless permit for the fall.

I recommend that if you are a mass resident get your LTC......or FID and a mass hunting license.....especially if you live in the eastern part of mass. Plenty of deer in zones 9 and 10 and you have a good chance of being successful. Although some of the southern zones in nh hold plenty of deer as well.

Hint.....the antlerless permit lottery will be pulled on Aug 1.......if you can buy your license now and apply for an antlerless permit in zones 9 or 10 you have a very good chance at getting that antlerless permit for the fall.

Thanks for this.

I'll be going for the MA LTC soon, just doing my research, because I don't want a denial on my record.

Back
Top Bottom